Best advice for a radio/MP3 player

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Okay,
I ride with a chatterbox X2 and I plug in a Sony Mini Disk player that I carry in my tank bag. Sometimes I want to go out and ride without the bag, but I NEED music! So I bought a stem mount. It worked great at first, but after about 15 minutes, it shut off. Almost like the disk was skipping. Anyway, I turned it on, off and back on - worked for another 15 minutes. So, is anyone else using a stem mounted radio....if so, what works best? I have heard that an MP3 player has no moving parts (flash memory) so I think that it would still play, even with the vibrations......

Any thoughts/advice?

I use a palm pilot (Zire 72) with a 1 gig card. I have it velcroed to the tank with ear bud headphones. Works great. I have been using it for the last 3 years and am very satisfied. It is also very easy to use while wearing golves, better than the stand alone MP3 players, IMO.

Chris

You need to place somthing under or ontop of your stemstand plate to cushion the vibrations from the motor or engage your clutch for a few seconds to resume audio again.

Personally I made my own stem stand that is held in place by the tank bolts. So it was easy enough for me to add rubber washer  to miniumize the vibration transmision to my player (mini-disc).

I'll try locating the post of what my jerry rig stem stand looks like.

Ty

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127098595 -->

I usually ride with my Ipod shuffle around my neck and it works great. You can get a gig of music for $130. The suffle has no moving parts. I have also used my Ipod photo in my jacket packet. The regular Ipod has a harddrive and moving parts. If I were looking for something I would look at the new Ipod Nano. It is solid state and up to 4gigs, plus it is really tiny, and has a color screen.

Here ya go !
Ty-
Thanks bro! I really like the stem mount, I wonder if ther eis a way to dampen out the vibes without going to a differnet mount. Maybe using rubber grommets or one big rubber washer at the base of the stem (just on top of the nut)....maybe that will work...
As usual playa, you got the wheels turning....

As usual playa, you got the wheels turning....
[/QUOTE]

Do I smell smoke burning
tounge.gif
! I'm sure you wont have any problem jerry riggn up somthing. 

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127101211 -->

Sandisk SANSA ...1GB internal capacity plus you can slide in a 1GB SD card for additional songs if you like.
Under 100.00 and small enough to go in even a small pocket if dessired. Easy menu...FM tuner included.
EQ and SRS WOW enabled...
525680_xlg_1.jpg

Some people want the fidelity of higher end models with big $$$ ... but mine is for use on the bike.... I don't think my Chatterbox GMRS will care or reproduce that same quality.
Windnoise reduces quality anyways.

I have a cheap MP3 player and just swap out cards have a 512 in it now no problems other than battery life, I also use a chatterbox too. The MP3 is small enough just put it in the inside pocket. If your not using the tank bag, I almost always ride with the tank bag.

I was using an IRiver mp3 player, but the dog ate it after about 2 weeks. The Fiance got me one of those Ipod 60 gig photo things...pretty cool, but cripe I have 5000 songs on it, and hardly put a dent in the storage capability. Anyhow, I have it sitting in the map pouch of my Oxford Hump - tank bag.

I know the tank bag aint all that sporty, but the thing holds everything that makes me feel comfy when riding. It holds my rain gear, extra tools, a few candy bars, a redbull or 2, various keys to crap I dont know what they open, flat tire kit, my .357 Sig, a roll of quarters, some duct tape & an extra blank check (just in case). Yah, I know - it sounds like a lot of stuff, but the case holds everything, & thats without expanding it to its full size.

By the way, tunes are great on the Busa, I put it on shuffel & go with the flow. I use a set of Sony in the ear canal - ear phones, and the Bass is great for mobile tunes. I tried a set of phillips, but they were sorta uncomfortable in the ears with a helmet on but killer bass.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127114909 -->

I've had good luck with a regular iPod. I used to carry it in the jacket pocket but found a nice little protector with belt clip at Walmart for 12 bucks or so. I have never had a problem with it skipping at all.

I use an XM radio on my stem stand .... works great, constant music, no vibration issues, 100+ channels of stuff
cool.gif

Plus you can get the radio for $40 these days (roady2) and then the service is only $13/month. Gotta say, its been great since I put this on there instead of the MP3 player I used to have .... dont get me wrong I still roll with the mp3 player from time to time but having the XM allows me to have basically unlimited song selection
smile.gif

do all of these mp3 player things plug into the chatterbox???..cause i am planning to get one and i want to know if any of these will plug into it..i just want to know which model..and does anyone know about the much smaller and lighter chatterboxes comin out next year?? any info from any of you wise men would be helpful
smile.gif

do all of these mp3 player things plug into the chatterbox???..cause i am planning to get one and i want to know if any of these will plug into it..i just want to know which model..and does anyone know about the much smaller and lighter chatterboxes comin out next year?? any info from any of you wise men would be helpful
smile.gif
There ar edevice connection cords that you can get to plug almost any audio device in tot he chatterbox, that's what I am doing. Don't know anything about a smaller version, but that would be nice!

Back