Bent front axle

NO that T-square is not an expensive piece of steel equipment! And it's used mostly in the wood industry!

first off that is not a t-square it is a combination square and is in no way used for carpentry. it is actually used in the machining industry. those types of squares can be very accurate if used properly and in this case shows how badly that axle is bent. sorry had to throw that out there.

Sorry to disagree here Tuf but that is a precision sguare used in the tool and die industry and is made of a high grade metal, It is more accurate for measuring than for being sguare but the scale is surface ground to be within .0005 (on most some may be a little more), but to give an idea of how perfect that is a human hair is .003. As far as the price depending on what brand you get I have seen the as much as $250.00 and as low as $45.00. Snap-on is $73.00
SQUAREB12, Set, Measuring, Machinist’s, 2 pcs.

My apologies for calling his $250 T-square inexpensive! Personally, I couldn't tell by the photo.

By the way, how could you tell that is an expensive T-square? :dunno:

I was just giving the price range, someone was saying its a 99 cent wooden ruler. I can't tell if its an expensive one but it is more than likely at least a $45.00 one. They don't make them any cheaper that I have seen. Even a cheap Machinist's square is good enough to check how straight an axle is.

Last edited:
first off that is not a t-square it is a combination square and is in no way used for carpentry. it is actually used in the machining industry. those types of squares can be very accurate if used properly and in this case shows how badly that axle is bent. sorry had to throw that out there.

I'll be damned, all these years of having one of those combination squares hanging on my nail apron, I never knew it was of no use to a carpenter! It always seem to make short work of 45 & 90 degree angles :dunno:

I wonder how many million 2x4's have been cut using this tool to draw a 45 or 90 degree cut? And to think this tool is in no way used for carpentry?

Thanks for straightening me out! :thumbsup:

:laugh:
I'll be damned, all these years of having one of those combination squares hanging on my nail apron, I never knew it was of no use to a carpenter! It always seem to make short work of 45 & 90 degree angles :dunno:

I wonder how many million 2x4's have been cut using this tool to draw a 45 or 90 degree cut? And to think this tool is in no way used for carpentry?

Thanks for straightening me out! :thumbsup:

:laugh:

if the tire is cupping it isnt an axle problem but rather your suspension isnt set up properly...the axle may be bent but depending on how and where it is (rotation wise)while sitting in the forks it could be it sits slightly forward or backward then the other fork, but doubtfull, if you rotated the axle 90 degress it would be slightly higher or slightly lower then the other fork and that would make a differnece...but either way i would think it would take about an 1/8 inch of bend to make a difference..id still replace it for piece of mind..a bent axle could have a hairline fracture in it, and that has potential for catastrophe...as for the squares..they are all straight and 90 degrees..unless u bought it from harbor frieght... dont think its squar then draw a line with it flip it over and check the line if its the same on both ends it is straight...same way you check a level if its level...level it draw a line flip it over see if its level upside down--if the bubble dont move its perfect...btw i checked my axle and its straight as can be

Roll it on a flat plate, say granite surface plate with a calibration sticker on it, or glass or something "flat". That is the easiest way to catch a bow. Kitchener is right , stand indicator on v-blocks is real good for checking runout. Kind of glad that I stumbled onto this, you guys are great. +1000 if it is bent it is prolly due to the fork being whacked. Them can be pressed out (with great pressure). Combination squares are tools for whatever good use you put them to, and could show the bend easily. This is because a bow is a relative comparison to a fixed reference, even if the square was hosed, it would reveal the belly or the hump in the hands of a skilled metrologist, aka Kaptain Kanji, who obviously knows bent.

Last edited:
:rofl: poor Kap. they just wont lay off your ruler:rofl:

now back to your bike. :rulez:

i see your axl is bent. well you said your getting a new one. be shure to check the entire front for squareness and to make shure its true when you put it back together. maybe new wheel bearings? oh and a tire. :whistle:

you can see how much its bent by chucking it up in a lathe and using a dial mic.:poke: not that it matters.

??? im still thinkin "WOW" how the heck?:laugh: thats a new one for me.

For a modest $250.00hr You can mail it up here and we wil throw it on the cmm for ya...j/k if you see light at the end and rotate it 180 and see light in the middle its bent.

Mic the diameter of the axle , get two precision ground plates and space them equally apart by the distance of Ø value + your tolerance for bowing, say ~.002" . Use gage blocks for spacers if you have them. Make the plates large enough for a full rotation (Pi x diameter) and if the axle binds during a roll, it is bent ut of spec. :rofl:

Back