Bent footpeg bracket (rider's) Straighten or Replace?

Kiwi Rider

Registered
I need advice from the oRg . . .
I have a bent rider's right side footpeg bracket, has been bent since I've had this bike, previous owner must've dropped it at some point.
Anyway, it's annoyed me for the last 6 years and now that it's winter, I thought I'd actually sort it.
The peg is on a downward angle, about 5 deg . . .
and I've gotten used to it but I really want it to sit correctly . . flat.
Soooooo . . . I thought I'd take it to work tomorrow and warm it up and use the press to flatten it out.
Yes, it's a casting, I know that, but my question is has anyone here ever had success in pressing bent alloy castings flat?
Or will it just crack? or worse, weaken it and crack later when I'm riding at a decent speed?
Ok ok, I know, look, I'm trying to save a few bucks by repairing it, I realize it's not ideal, but a new one is moonbeams, and a used one sourced locally is up there in price too.
Here's a few pics of the extent of the bend in it, just let me know what your opinions are on this . . thanks.

below pic . . . you can really see the curve in the casting, and angle of the brake lever pivot pin in relation to the spring retaining pin

below pic you can see the damage from the impact taken, the center bushing has taken the hit.

below pic, there is no visible cracks or damage, but the peg hangs down like a biatch.

just look at the curve, it should be straight as a straight thing.

the old man from across the pond ;-)

cast aluminum (footpeg bracket i guess) cannot normally be bent back.
it tears or breaks completely.
i therefore strongly recommend replacing it - especially at the footrest bracket
because imagine the thing breaks while you stand on it - an accident is likely to be the direct result

the entire pre owned ensemble (bracket & footpeg) shouldn´t cost more than i guess around 50$.

so .... ;)

Kiwi,rearsets are so inexpensive these days. Do a mod. :D
I landed these for well under $200.
Work awesome,lighter,shift action is shorter...and look the fuggin' shiat.:thumbsup:
That or swap it out with one from a customer's bike...they'll never even notice...probably.

Rubb.

the old man from across the pond ;-)

cast aluminum (footpeg bracket i guess) cannot normally be bent back.
it tears or breaks completely.
i therefore strongly recommend replacing it - especially at the footrest bracket
because imagine the thing breaks while you stand on it - an accident is likely to be the direct result

the entire pre owned ensemble (bracket & footpeg) shouldn´t cost more than i guess around 50$.

so .... ;)
Yeah, I figured that it would probably break or crack when pressing, but the local bike dismantlers here want stupid money for them . . . around $100 plus freight for a used one that will need painting.
I was kinda hoping someone here may have the secret to bending cast alloy WITHOUT breaking it lol.
I may just have to save the money and buy one. . . unless there is someone from the oRg that has one tucked away in their Busa bits box in their garage that would be happy to send it to ol' Kiwi, and I pay by paypal?

Sometimes cast aluminum can be heated then straightened but the process is quite challenging.....I've straightened clutch and brake levers with great success and no weakening but this chunk of aluminum is quite a bit more complex and I figure it would crack for certain....

Rubb may have a point to go aftermarket

Sometimes cast aluminum can be heated then straightened but the process is quite challenging.....I've straightened clutch and brake levers with great success and no weakening but this chunk of aluminum is quite a bit more complex and I figure it would crack for certain....

Mmmmmm.... I get it, I may just have to replace it.
So I gotta decide now , OEM or aftermarket rear sets?
I’ll do some research....
Thanks for your input fellas.

I'll see what I can do with mine today, and I'll get a price for a used one here locally first, I really appreciate your offer, will let you know by PM asap.
Thanks.
Kiwi
No rush. Whenever you decide on how you want to go.

Thanks mate :beerchug:
I tried straightening one on an old cbr a buddy had and did it against my better judgement, even tho I was able to somewhat straighten he ended up knocking the bike over a few days later in his driveway and it snapped right where I had messed with it. Please do not attempt it on your bird, we can get one to you somehow.

I tried straightening one on an old cbr a buddy had and did it against my better judgement, even tho I was able to somewhat straighten he ended up knocking the bike over a few days later in his driveway and it snapped right where I had messed with it. Please do not attempt it on your bird, we can get one to you somehow.
Thanks man, you’re right, I’ve decided to get a used one locally, $65 delivered so it’s a way better idea to just replace that bent one....
I appreciate all the input from the members, I knew from the start it was never the right way to deal with the issue but being the tight ass that I am. . . . Lol.

hmmm
when the levers are cast, they break much sooner than when they are forged
and as far as i see this, both look very similar
so perhaps you had the forged.

Ain't it just dandy living so far away.. I've given up ordering anything unless I can get it local..
Takes 2+ months, tracking is broken, gets lost, or the sender refuses to help..
Yup, my thoughts exactly.
Hey, is Australia still “the lucky country” ?
:D :laugh: :poke:

Back