Ben Spies out of Assen GP race

ANKOMA

Registered
Dayum, I was anxiously hoping that Ben got another round of riding that GP bike in the Netherlands ... Loris claims he is healed but I bet it was eating him up watching from the sidelines last week.
We'll at least see Ben in Laguna and Indy as a wildcard ride for sure
fight.gif
!

Where he finished is NOT good for Suz. He needs alot more time on the bike and tires.  
beerchug.gif

I think he did himself more good this weekend than it would indicate by his finish. He got faster every time he got on the bike, he didn't throw it away in frustration and don't forget he outqualified about a dozen of the best riders in the world at a track he had never seen, on a bike that by almost all accounts is not a contender week in week out. Even the speed commentators spent a bunch of time talking about him after the race. I think he done just fine under the circumstances! I also think that Capirossi and Vermeulen had better up their game in a hurry by the sounds of it or Suzuki will broom one of them to make way for Spies! If not A lot of other teams will snag him in a hurry!

Too bad for Spies, good for Capirossi
biggrin.gif

Spies finished exactly where most expected and he impressed many. No one is just gonna walk into the world's best riders and expect a high placing finish. He scored some points, got faster each time out and showed he can ride in the rain.
cool.gif

Don't expect a top 7 or 8 finish at Laguna either. He may know the track, but all the braking, turning, and accelerating points are completely different. He has lots to learn in Laguna.

Don't expect a top 7 or 8 finish at Laguna either. He may know the track, but all the braking, turning, and accelerating points are completely different. He has lots to learn in Laguna.
Doesn't he get some seat time at the Indy test? If so I think he could make a lot of headway on bike set up. Maybe not 100% pertinent to Laguna but seat time is a precious commodity at this point.

super.gif
PM -->
bigoltool @ Jun. 24 2008 said:
1458357[/ATTACH] PM]
Don't expect a top 7 or 8 finish at Laguna either.  He may know the track, but all the braking, turning, and accelerating points are completely different.  He has lots to learn in Laguna.
Doesn't he get some seat time at the Indy test? If so I think he could make a lot of headway on bike set up. Maybe not 100% pertinent to Laguna but seat time is a precious commodity at this point.
Yup, he'll be testing along with everyone else on his own wildcard bike.

I actually think he'll have a better oppurtunity to showcase his abilities in Indy rather than Laguna.  2 reasons;
1)He'll have exactly the same amount of track knowledge and data as everyone else.
2)He'll have had Laguna to get more comfortable with the bike and tires.

All the Veteran MotoGP riders will still have an advantage on him in Laguna.  They have data from previous years and they know their bikes.  He may know how Laguna turns, but Laguna will be way different on a GP bike than on his superbike.

I hope he takes 2nd at Laguna behind Nicky  
winkold.gif

But I doubt it'll happen like that  
laugh.gif

super.gif

Yeah Charles, I doubt that will happen too. Since Hayden seems to be an 'also ran' thus far this year.

I was really hoping that Ben would get to ride in the Netherlands but after that qualifying effort and the publicity he got at Donnington I knew Loris would get back on his bike whether he was healed up or not.
I checked Rizla's site nearly everyday of last week and there was never any indication that Ben got to do any practice at the track in advance of the race. Not sure if that is or is not the case but if he finished that well without any advance track time (of significance), I am sure Loris did not want him to have a round 2 this weekend to mate up with the bike.

I think he'll get a better result at Laguna since he knows that track and now, has some seat time on the machine.
At Indy, he'll probably earn his seat for next year!

Was I over served last weekend or did I here some little blurb about Nicky riding a Desmo in '09?
jump9.gif

Don't expect a top 7 or 8 finish at Laguna either.  He may know the track, but all the braking, turning, and accelerating points are completely different.  He has lots to learn in Laguna.
I don't know about that. RLH finished 10th last year and Spies is in a completely different universe than RLH, maybe even another dimension. I could feasibly see him finish 6th or 7th. I just cant fathom seeing him doing = the job RLH did last year. He's not going to contend with Stoner, Rossi, Pedro, Lorenzo, Edwards and maybe Hayden, that's fact. But IMO, he could give the rest of the field a hell of a run for their money. Laguna seems to suit more of a SBK, ride the bike hard style. I'd say advantage Spies compared to GP paddock other than the above aforementioned.

But...I think Indy would be the harder venue because it may have more of a "GP" high corner speed flow to it, which Spies would be at a disadvantage compared to the current GP Paddock. Although he's shown very strong corner speed for a Superbike at the MMP and Road AMerica rounds.

It's all speculation, and good fun too, at this point. We all wanna see Spies do well. The only thing I'm concerned about is the Rizla is not gonna be competitive enough no matter who you throw into the fray. I don't even think Rossi could take the Rizla to a championship.

Remember the Suzuki has been uncharacteristically strong at Laguna the last few years in the hands of Vermeulen. He knows the track pretty well from his Superbike years probably helps a little. If Spies can get some seat time between now and Laguna and actually get his own bike, set up for him, he could legitimately challenge for a top 5. All speculation of course! But throw in a throng of maniacal American fans and you could see all of the Americans going big!

The problem with finishing higher than 7th or 8th at Laguna is lack of seat time and the competition. Unless there's a crash, I doubt he'll finish above Rossi, Pedrosa, Stoner, Lorenzo, Edwards, Hayden, and Dovizioso.

Speculation of course
laugh.gif

The problem with finishing higher than 7th or 8th at Laguna is lack of seat time and the competition.  Unless there's a crash, I doubt he'll finish above Rossi, Pedrosa, Stoner, Lorenzo, Edwards, Hayden, and Dovizioso.

Speculation of course  
laugh.gif
Lorenzo and Dovioso have never seen the place so he should be at about par with them. Hayden and the others know it well and all of them go well there. So I am sticking to him challenging for a top 5 anyways.

The problem with finishing higher than 7th or 8th at Laguna is lack of seat time and the competition.  Unless there's a crash, I doubt he'll finish above Rossi, Pedrosa, Stoner, Lorenzo, Edwards, Hayden, and Dovizioso.

Speculation of course  
laugh.gif
Lorenzo and Dovioso have never seen the place so he should be at about par with them. Hayden and the others know it well and all of them go well there. So I am sticking to him challenging for a top 5 anyways.
BTW I just read that Spies opted to not race for Capirossi in Assen Saturday. He is going to save himself for the Indy test next week. Capirossi wrecked again and left a nasty hole in his arm today. So I am not sure who will race it at Assen?

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jun/080626f.htm

Yeah, with a mixed weather forecast and already missing FP1 and FP2, its probably the best choice for Ben.

Though any seat time will be good...

As far as I know, no one is replacing Capirossi. Only Vermeulen will race for Rizla.

Interesting Interview with Kevin Scwhantz about his proposed sattelite Suzuki team in MotoGP running Spies. Probably not going to happen.

I still think a Texas all star MotoGP team with Schwantz managing Spies and Colin Edwards would be fun to watch! How about getting Dell to Sign on as lead sponsor? They're from Texas right? Since Suzuki wont nee4d to spend money on an AMA Superbike team next year they could use that money to fund it!
Just a little slap in the face for the Spanish all-star Hobbit travelling circus (AKA Repsol Honda squad)
boxing.gif

Back