belt drive

Curt

Registered
i'd like to put a belt drive on my katana and busa

problem is, i don't know where to start looking
figure i'll try to find buell pulleys, and have a machinist friend make 'em fit
but as far as the belt, where am i gonna find something that'll handle 175hp, 120lb' of torque, and insane wheel speeds without shredding or melting or popping off the pulley?

want belt drive? get a harley.seriously though you will lose alot of performance with a belt instead of a chain.

<< something that'll handle 175hp, 120lb' of torque, and insane wheel speeds without shredding or melting or popping off the pulley?>>
Correct me if I am wrong someone, but I don't think there is a belt made that can handle the Busa's performance.  
rock.gif

Considering the fact that a 101hp Buell has problems shredding belts (I am not sure of the torque they produce), but I would assume that even a stock 'Busa would kill belts regularly. Besides being quieter than a chain, what would be the advantages? I would think that going to a smaller chain and aluminum sprockets would save enough weight to compare to the belts. Just my .02.....

Belts, belts, belts I've got lot's of belt's...However I use mine for holding up my trousers, beating the wife and kids never thought of putting it on the Busa due to the large clasp...  
biggrin.gif

My understanding is - belts are good for only about 100hp. If you really want to get rid of those chains that bind you - sell em and buy an FJR.
biggrin.gif

Ninja Eater Posted on Dec. 24 2002,10:47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (hank @ Dec. 23 2002,1:05)
My understanding is - belts are good for only about 100hp. If you really want to get rid of those chains that bind you - sell em and buy an FJR.  

Hank that is a shamless excuss of FJR posting.  [/QUOTE]

So what's your point, Ninja Eater?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

The technology is not currently available for belt use. Harley dragsters with a lot of torque and power use them, but still they slip.

If you are worried about the chains stretching, get an automatic oiler, like the Scott or Hawke oilers, or get in the habit of cleaning and oiling the chain on a regular basis. I have over 12K miles on my o-ring chain and it is still below the 319.4mm 21-pin stretch limit. I have only used WD-40, a tooth brush and 90W gear oil on it every 100 miles.

once you get over 100 horsepower, the belt width will be huge.........over 3" in width. Forget about it and stick with chains..............speed vision did a comparison between shaft, belt and chain and for these types of bikes chains are the answer.............

I don't understand why some of us are having chain problems.
Narc has the best advice....An o ring chain just doesn't stretch....at all..has to do with to much abuse..with low maintence....keep it adjusted just right and lube regularly..
To me a brand new o ring chain needs to be adjusted just once in first few hundred miles...then keep it lubed and clean.
and if all is well you should not have to adjust it for many many miles..tires were out..then try to adjust to the same tension that it was before the tire change....anywhere from
6k to 12k..miles it should last..remember if you see red rust coming out from the orings..THE CHAIN IS JUNK..REPLACE IT!!
Used same sprockets for 40,ooo miles..on a 900 ninja..i beat on that one..4 chains....sprockets still good..
director.gif

Back