Beloved Busa vs. ZX 10

beunes

Registered
Alright here it is; i am the proud owner of a 2004 blue and silver hayabusa. i work with a lot of people that are extremly knowledgable about motorcycles. Now a couple of the guys that i work with are big kawasaki fans. One has a ZZR 1200 and the other a 2004 ZX10. They both claim that the ZX 10 will take me in a quarter mile. I know that the ZX 10 is a very strong bike and is pretty close to the Busa in the 1/4, however as every report i have ever came across about the Hayabusa says that it is the fastest production motorcycle on the market. According to Motorcyclist Magazine the Busa (03) has 156.1 hp @ 9500 rpm, 99.0 ft-lb @ 6750 rpm, and does the 1/4 in 9.88 @ 143.9 mph; compared to the ZX 10 (04)163.4 hp @ 12,000 rpm, 80.4 ft-lb @ 9750 rpm, and does the 1/4 in 10.06 @ 145.3 mph (both bikes were tested on different dynos). Now i know that number crunching is one thing and rider skill is another. However i would like some feed back on past expeirence from other riders that have been up against a ZX 10 in a 1/4 mile. For example at what rpm should i launch from and what can i do to keep my front end on or close to the ground. Also i would like to know some tricks of the trade (getting the most out of my stock bike). Alright moving on to my next issue roll ons. According to my source of motorcycle info, Motorcyclist Magazine, the busa will do a top gear 60 to 80 mph roll on in 2.70 sec and the ZX 10 will do the same roll on in 2.67 sec. So my question is when i do decide to break the heart of my co-worker where about should i be as far as gear and rpm's are concerned doing a race say from a 60 mph roll on. I also want to give a shot out to captain and everyone else involved in creating this web-site....... THANX A MILLION WE ALL APPRECIATE IT!!!!

Not bein' a bobo or anything but if you have to ask what you need to do to beat him you'd better hope he's havin' to ask someone how to beat you, too. The bikes are close enough in the real world that rider skill and sometimes luck decides which bike wins. I haven't ran a busa (or technically raced anyone side by side yet) but I've left every bike that has tried to hang with me so far. I hope to get a chance to do some roll ons with a local busa eventually. I think it would have been interesing before the 16t cs sprocket. Should be even more interesting now.
devil.gif

Seriously man, it sounds like you need to forget about racin' and just get some more seat time on the busa. When you're experienced enough on it and ready to race you won't have to ask what you need to do. Tryin' to do it before that is just askin' for trouble. At the very least you could get yer ass handed to ya and give us 10 guys another busa kill story and notch on our swingarm.
laugh.gif

Yeah, see, the new ZX-10's are slow as dog meat - old ladies in '47 Hudsons pass them. I'd go to work tomorrow and begin taunting the guy mercilessly until he finally breaks down and demands a heads-up race for cash.

1zhelp.gif
poke.gif

I haven't dragged the bike yet, so I can't answer your question about launching. However, I keep hearing the ZX10 comparison, and I feel like ranting. Don't take it personally
smile.gif

[rant]
The new liter RACE bikes are equivalent to, if not slightly quicker than, the Busa in all out runs, and will take the Busa in the corners. That being said, the margins are VERY close, meaning that actual performance is up to the rider, not the machine.

If the people you talk with are impressed by numbers, print some up and give them to them. It doesn't particularly matter what they are, since anyone can find someone's dyno numbers to support their claims. The fact is, it's too close to call definitively.

Liter race bikes and the Hayabusa are NOT the same class of bike. If you were to treat them like cars for purposes of comparison, the ZX10 is like a Ferrari F50, and the Hayabusa is like a Ferrari 550 Maranello (albeit with a supercharger). Both vehicles are insanely fast. Both will get you from zero to dead before you realize it. Both are superb machines. But, one is a track machine, the other is a GT (gran turismo or grand touring) machine. (And I can already hear the guffaws from people who don't agree with my analogy, but I don't care.) I've just spent the past three days making long rides on highways on my 05 Busa. At the end of the day my neck is a bit sore (from all that crouching to maintain 100+ without freezing) but other than that, not a bit of a problem eating up 1500 miles. And I still have about 3000 more to go before this vacation is done. Would I do that on a ZX10? Not on your life (no matter what BT says
smile.gif
) Would it be more comfortable on an ST1300 (think supercharged Mercedes coupe in the car comparison?) Of course! Does it matter if you already have a Busa? Nope.

If your ego can't take the fact that the march of technology will make your machine out of date in a couple years, I recommend getting a turbo and be done with it. Then you can laugh at all the other bikes out there and all doubts about whose cock is bigg-- I mean whose bike is fastest will be erased.
[/rant]

smile.gif

Hey BT - You run a 12r with that little roller skate yet??

Steve
Nope. Haven't even seen a 12R on the road around here while I'm ridin. Seen a few while I was cagin' it or workin' but not while I'm on Diablo...
Those 10's are fire breathin lightweight stinking fast little screaming beasties...  
drooling3.gif

super.gif

I really love the 12r, but I don't know if one could hold you off.  It'd be interesting...  
wink.gif

Steve

<!--EDIT|Aughtsix
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101276769 -->

Wow! Pretty harsh there bullet train but absolutly right. I know i have the skill to be pretty competitive (not professional), and i know that he has just as much skill if not more then me i have only been riding for a few years and only a couple of months on my busa. Actually i just today passed my 1000 mile break-in period so i am just starting to really twist the throttle on my baby. My biggest problem is the launch. But thanx for the input.

I haven't dragged the bike yet, so I can't answer your question about launching. However, I keep hearing the ZX10 comparison, and I feel like ranting. Don't take it personally
smile.gif

[rant]
The new liter RACE bikes are equivalent to, if not slightly quicker than, the Busa in all out runs, and will take the Busa in the corners. That being said, the margins are VERY close, meaning that actual performance is up to the rider, not the machine.

If the people you talk with are impressed by numbers, print some up and give them to them. It doesn't particularly matter what they are, since anyone can find someone's dyno numbers to support their claims. The fact is, it's too close to call definitively.

Liter race bikes and the Hayabusa are NOT the same class of bike. If you were to treat them like cars for purposes of comparison, the ZX10 is like a Ferrari F50, and the Hayabusa is like a Ferrari 550 Maranello (albeit with a supercharger). Both vehicles are insanely fast. Both will get you from zero to dead before you realize it. Both are superb machines. But, one is a track machine, the other is a GT (gran turismo or grand touring) machine. (And I can already hear the guffaws from people who don't agree with my analogy, but I don't care.) I've just spent the past three days making long rides on highways on my 05 Busa. At the end of the day my neck is a bit sore (from all that crouching to maintain 100+ without freezing) but other than that, not a bit of a problem eating up 1500 miles. And I still have about 3000 more to go before this vacation is done. Would I do that on a ZX10? Not on your life (no matter what BT says
smile.gif
) Would it be more comfortable on an ST1300 (think supercharged Mercedes coupe in the car comparison?) Of course! Does it matter if you already have a Busa? Nope.

If your ego can't take the fact that the march of technology will make your machine out of date in a couple years, I recommend getting a turbo and be done with it. Then you can laugh at all the other bikes out there and all doubts about whose cock is bigg-- I mean whose bike is fastest will be erased.
[/rant]
Actually, after ownin' both I tend to agree with your analogy. As with any analogy I'm sure flaws could be found in it, but I think that sums it up pretty nicely. Everything about the 10 screams race bike. The busa is a whole different ride that just happens to be as fast as a race bike. I find more and more differences in the two and each new difference I find speaks volumes about the intended purpose for each bike.

Personally I love 'em both for different reasons. For me the 10 is the total package. Insane power, light weight, comfort, handlin', sweet styling... did I mention insane power?
rock.gif
The busa is, well... it's a busa. I don't think anyone here needs that one explained to 'em. It's just one of those things that if it has to be explained, you'll never understand. Even though I think it's dead wrong for zuk to allow the liters to get so close, and maybe even overtake the busa in some aspects (particularly top end out of the box and 1/4 mile ET's) the busa is an awesome bike regardless of it's status in the speed wars.

Anyway, just wanted to say that your analogy is more accurate than some might think.
wink.gif

smile.gif

I've just done this, last weekend in fact.
stock for stock, same rider skills, you're gunna get beat.
I was runnin 10.8 and ZX10R running 10.6. The weird thing is, we were neck and neck till the last third of the track, then the 10 walked me. it was bone stock and the owner was a nice bloke, happy to chat and what not.
If the track was twice as long, you'd be fine.
1/4 mile's being what they are. You're gunna get beat.
Can't argue with the numbers man.
more HP and far less weight on the 10 makes for a quicker bike over a short distance.
Simple.

Josh

OK josh so what you are saying to me is NOS!!!! (wonder if i can hide it under the rear seat...lol) I NEED NOS!!!!

Wow! Pretty harsh there bullet train but absolutly right. I know i have the skill to be pretty competitive (not professional), and i know that he has just as much skill if not more then me i have only been riding for a few years and only a couple of months on my busa. Actually i just today passed my 1000 mile break-in period so i am just starting to really twist the throttle on my baby. My biggest problem is the launch. But thanx for the input.
I wasn't tryin' to be harsh, just straight up and honest with ya. I'm not doubtin' yer skills or your ridin' experience but the busa can be a beast. If you're just startin' to twist on 'er then you have no idea what you're about to unleash, man. I'd just hate to see ya wad yer busa and/or scuff yerself tryin' to race someone so early into yer busa game. Not tryin' to slap you down, just tryin' to reel ya back in a little on the racin' thing.
wink.gif

... dont be betting hvy... and dont roll on... your ass will be grass unless you are gonna run up to 170ish

Yea bullet i completly undersand what you are saying and i do plan to get more (way more) miles under my belt before i even attempt to race. practice makes perfect and that is the bottom line! i have a while befoe i am ready to race....however my philosiphy is if you aint cheating you aint trying if you get caught you wernt trying hard enough so i do plan to have a couple of tricks up my sleeve when the timing is right. until then i pray i get the red lights just to work on my launch. GOT NOS? lol

When you launch your bike make sure you slip the clutch nice and smooth and when you shift do not use the clutch just blip the throttle and shift (you may want to start practicing this before the race).

I'll tell you a little story about his weekend at the track. I drag race at a local 1/8th mile track here and this weekend we had a quick 8 heads up pro tree class. When I pulled up and started to unload the busa a guy pulled up with a 04 zx10. I walked over to take a look at his bike and see what all he had done to it, we started talking and he told me what he had 6 over swingarm, geared, Hindle full system, PC, air shifter, and slammed. My busa has BDE Hindle, PCIIIR, air box mod, slammed, and a 16 tooth front sprocket, nothing else still stock wheelbase and foot shifted. This was the first time that I have seen a 10 at a track that wasn't ridden by a pro rider so I figured it would be interesting and I was curious what the 10 had when not ridden and tuned by pro's against a busa with similar mods. We ran every round of qualifing against each other and every time he would out 60' me (because of his arm) and then I would pull back by him about the 330' mark and would keep pulling to the finish line. So then a friend of mine rode the 10 (he is as good of a rider as me if not better) and the same result happened( I think the best he went was a 6.28). I'm not saying that this will always happen but it did happen sunday at the track. I thought the 10 would have put up more of a fight with the mods he had done but it was a tenth and about 4mph slower than my busa. But I will say I have seen some 10's owned and ridden by pro's that will absolutely stomp my busa (but then again its hard to tell what exactly is done to them and the riders are deffinately better then me). So take my words of advise above and it should be a pretty good race if both of you can ride good.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Blue Streak
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101274198 -->

thanks blue streak for the advice..... see now that is the kinda thing im looking for not weather or not i will win or lose or which is faster however i do appreiciate everyones posts and sharing your storys

just my 2 cents here,

if a person is going to resort to nos, turbos, superchargers and doing other mods to a machine to beat a stock machine or a machine that has less performance mods then he or she already lost the race. plus, why race to begin with if the results are given already. i agreed w/ most, these bikes are pretty even now so if a person looses/wins, that just means one has more skills or got a better launch than the other in the 1/4 mile race.
smile.gif

will, you are abosolutly right i should be ashamed of myself (but im not...lol) no for real though i would like to race heads up stock vs. stock we are both set up that way right now but im a little worried that by the time that i get the feel for the busa (just broke 1000 miles on it today) he will have made the obvious changes to his bike i.e. exaust, power commander, ect. then i have a little more to worry about.

Emphasis I think on 'stories'...

Beunes - On a serious note, if you do decide to see what the tail light on a ZX-10r looks like, don't do it on the street, do it on a track.  

At this level of performance racing on the street is lunacy.  

Oh, and for what it's worth, I wouldn't assume that a power commander is such an expected alteration.  I've never used one and, unless things change radically, don't ever intend to.  Maybe I'm a simpleton but I can't see paying for problems...

Steve

<!--EDIT|Aughtsix
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101277502 -->

Back