Bellypan Replacement

Longstone

Registered
My belly-pan bolt was overtightened during my last oil/filter change and I stripped my belly-pan. No one but myself to blame but rather than crying over spilled milk I'm looking to get it fixed.

Local bike shop quoted me $200 fo a used belly-pan in "good" condition and the labor.

The quoted me just $100 for the belly-pan.

Does anyone have any experience with the replacement of the belly-pan? Are there any guides written up for this I can follow?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

Are you talking about the oil pan or the belly-pan wing? If it's the wing it's only attached with a couple of bolts. You can find them for about $50 on eBay or in the classifieds.

If you stipped the drain plug, you can replace the oil pan or helicoil the drain bolt hole and put one size larger drain plug back in it. I use a 1/4 inch socket to tighten mine for this reason.

If I use a Helicoil what risk is there with getting metal shavings into the engine? Is it really worth the risk?

If I choose to replace the oil pan myself how big of a job is it?

My two cents. Here's what I would do. I would drill out the old oil pan, re-tap it for a new bolt and then pour some cheap oil into the engine to flush any shavings out the hole.
The whole thing shouldn't take you more than half an hour or hour at the most.
Total cost, 2 bucks if you have the taps.

You can drop the pan and have an insert installed from the inside. My pan has steel threads now :thumbsup:

Back