Bell Automotive deer warning

edcop

Banned
There are a lot of deer around where I live and I was thinking of getting one of these.
Do you guys think these things work? only $6.50
Buy Bell Automotive Deer Warning - Black 22-1-01000-8 at Advance Auto Parts
25984477_bee_221010008_pri_larg.jpg

I looked into deer avoidance products a couple years ago. At that time, and I'm not aware of any new information (tests, studies, etc) to the contrary, there is ZERO evidence that deer whistles of any kind work.

There is LOADS of ANECDOTAL testimony about how deer whistles mounted on vehicles have saved deer from extinction, but there is no science that supports anything more than correlations and speculation.

Now, for some fun. >:)

If you do buy the deer whistles, let me know...I've got a new product in prototype you might be interested in:

Left Turner Whistles
Texter Whistles
Cell Phone User Whistles
Finger Nail Painter Whistles

The list is quite extensive. If you've got a hazard animal, we've got a solution! Each device costs only $1.99 and comes with a signed certificate of authenticity that it DEFINITELY MAY help to reduce collisions when used in conjunction with INCREASED DRIVING AWARENESS by a licensed driver of a fully maintained vehicle while traveling at or below the speed limit on sunny or VERY well lit roads that are bordered by 30 foot tall fences on both sides. Whistles are intended as a profit making device ONLY and make no claims to DEFINITELY do anything other than create profit for the seller. Seller will not be held liable for any or damages incurred with or without proper use of product. Seller will deposit all profits directly into private bank account and will ATTEMPT not to chuckle while so doing. .... ??? .... Lack of chuckling by seller cannot be guaranteed, but we'll try. No, really. We will TRY.

:laugh:

:beerchug:

I have a lot of inlaws in MI. Most have them have all hit deer. Some of them have deer whistles and still hit deer. Father in Law says that he thinks the deer hear them and then freeze longer before they move, which lets cars get even closer before they try to get out of the way. Others say they wouldn't mount them if they were free, they don't work. They stop whistling if dirt or bugs get in them so keep it clean inside.

Think of it this way:

In 2002, after DECADES of driving in the same region, I had not only my first collision with a deer but also my 2nd and last/most recent. (Thankfully I was driving a car both times). Now, if I had bought these whistles, which I considered doing so, then there would be a case that the lack of deer collision for the last 9 years was BECAUSE of the deer whistles. Yet, here we are, 9 years later, NO whistles, NO more collisions. Hmmm....

Oh, and what about the decades BEFORE 2002 with NO whistles and NO deer collisions?

Until credible data is produced on the matter, all of these items are nothing more than speculative at best. Save your money, buy and install and air horn (at least that works on humans), keep your gremlin bell tuned up and shiny and hope for good luck with the deer and you not meeting up unexpectedly.

I have seen a lot of deer smacked cars in the junkyards that had those worthless things on them. They dont work.

I know alot of gold wingers around here have them but who can tell if they really work ! Only a deer would know for sure .:laugh:

I looked into deer avoidance products a couple years ago. At that time, and I'm not aware of any new information (tests, studies, etc) to the contrary, there is ZERO evidence that deer whistles of any kind work.

There is LOADS of ANECDOTAL testimony about how deer whistles mounted on vehicles have saved deer from extinction, but there is no science that supports anything more than correlations and speculation.

Now, for some fun. >:)

If you do buy the deer whistles, let me know...I've got a new product in prototype you might be interested in:

Left Turner Whistles
Texter Whistles
Cell Phone User Whistles
Finger Nail Painter Whistles

The list is quite extensive. If you've got a hazard animal, we've got a solution! Each device costs only $1.99 and comes with a signed certificate of authenticity that it DEFINITELY MAY help to reduce collisions when used in conjunction with INCREASED DRIVING AWARENESS by a licensed driver of a fully maintained vehicle while traveling at or below the speed limit on sunny or VERY well lit roads that are bordered by 30 foot tall fences on both sides. Whistles are intended as a profit making device ONLY and make no claims to DEFINITELY do anything other than create profit for the seller. Seller will not be held liable for any or damages incurred with or without proper use of product. Seller will deposit all profits directly into private bank account and will ATTEMPT not to chuckle while so doing. .... ??? .... Lack of chuckling by seller cannot be guaranteed, but we'll try. No, really. We will TRY.

:laugh:

:beerchug:

Lol ... lol ... lol ...
That is all I have to say
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I dont know why Goldwings have them, but your right they all do. Plus if you hit a deer on a Goldwing youll be fine a dent at best...lol

You need to add an ounce of highly concentrated coyote urine to each fill up, as it burns and comes out as exhaust it scares deer ! and it cleans your fuel system as an added perk, cant lose !

Or get a crash cage and mount an 8 gauge on either side with a proximity sensor set to maybe about 2 feet or less out. Youll get messy as you go through the aftermath of whatever it was that got in front of you but youll be ok ! :thumbsup: Plus you no longer have to yield to pedestrians !

I think those were on mythbusters and were busted.

Sorry couldnt help it, I think a loud exhaust tends to make them a little more cautious then anything else out there IMO.

Just because a deer may or may not be able to hear a sound that this whistle is supposedly making does not mean that the deer's brain interprets this sound to mean "get the heel off the road". I mean really, would the deer be able to hear your exhaust note just as weel as could the whistle from this gadget. Unless the deer (or any other animal) associates a given noise with a perceived danger than it will act no differently.

There may have been some merit to this years ago when they first introduced them to the market but now every other vehicle you see has a set on them and the animal polulation has become accustomed to hearing it and no longer associates it with a dangerous situation.

So the moral of the story is we may never know if they really work, but you'll know for sure if they don't... Best of luck.

i modulate in areas i know have heavy deer movement. im picked on at work but because i constantly change my rpm (accelerate quickly let off repeat) it constantly changes the sound. only time i see deer is on side of road in field (i drive alot at night) looking at me as they are backing or running away.

i modulate in areas i know have heavy deer movement. im picked on at work but because i constantly change my rpm (accelerate quickly let off repeat) it constantly changes the sound. only time i see deer is on side of road in field (i drive alot at night) looking at me as they are backing or running away.

The ones that are trouble are the ones that you don't see...until after they've slammed into you at the end of a majestic leap from the roadside brush/woods.

The ones that are trouble are the ones that you don't see...until after they've slammed into you at the end of a majestic leap from the roadside brush/woods.

+1
Don't have any faith in the whistles but I know for a fact a Brocks ShortMeg on the limiter scares the piss right outta them. If I have time to brake I now instinctively pull the clutch and twist the throttle at the same time-boy do they scatter!

Back