Being tail gated by drivers

RX1Jim

Registered
Anybody have any tips for keeping people off your ass while riding? I usually just pull over and let them pass but I get some people who are withing 10 - 15 ft of my rear end while traveling at 65 mph. I am not a speed demo and where I ride, I like to enjoy the ride. I have thought of keeping a pocket full of 3?4" dia. ball bearings for strategic use but this willonly resut in a serious case of road rage.

I used to keep a handfull of that really large and sharp gravel in my tank bag... I had a group of guys pull on me one night coming up beside me and getting right on my tail light.. I chunked a piece of gravel over my shouler and left em... They got the hint...

Personally, I choose to get out of the way. When a CAR splats BIKE (or vice-versa), hard for bike to come out ahead.

I used to keep a handfull of that really large and sharp gravel in my tank bag... I had a group of guys pull on me one night coming up beside me and getting right on my tail light.. I chunked a piece of gravel over my shouler and left em... They got the hint...

thats a good idea. I'd rather make them mad than for them to run me down. Although it could just make them try to run you down

i have a buddy who carries marbles in his tankbag he says only use when damage is needed
Posted via Mobile Device

My buddy unloaded a 357 on some tailgaters trying to hit him one night. I do not advise this though.
He splattered their windshield over his shoulder. He's a good friend to have on your side.

all this throwingstuff at them sound great but if someone gets hurt/killed you're lookin at hard time. i twist the grip and leave em

Leave em. Or if I get to a stoplight, I turn around, or get off the bike. Then yell "Get off my ass! I'm not in a car, your not gonna run me over!" They usually get the idea real quick.

I grew to 6'3" and got my weight up to 250. That inadvertedly did the trick.:whistle:

:rofl::poke:

Serious road shoulder rage:laugh:
18 $ per pk of 4, I think.

Caltrop.jpg

I've done this once.
kicked it down 2 gears, locked up the brakes, then hit the gas. I saw their car take a nose dive to the point I thought their bumper was going to hit the ground and as I was pulling away I gave them the 1 finger salute. :moon:

if im in 4 wheels or 2 I just slow down until they get over and pass. Then ride behind them with my high beam on:thumbsup:

I've never really had a problem with anyone tailgating me.:whistle:

I always have the opposite problem. Stop light that won't change, car behind me ALWAYS stops 20 feet back, and acts completely afraid to get any closer. So I have to run the red anyway.

Tonight were in the truck going to the Texas Rodhouse for supper. On Hwy 25 right up from the Biltmore House, for those of you familar with it.

This Lumina mini van is heading south in the right lane and out of nowhere cuts 90degrees across not only the south bound cars, but the northbound too and 2 cars slid right up to her and she blocked the road for about 30 seconds and then pulled on in the gas station. Glad no bikes were on that stretch.

I think you should just move over and let them pass.
Tossing something at a moving vehicle is illegal and a big no no even if they don't crash . God forbid it's an off duty Leo heading home and you bounce a ball bearing off his car .
What harm can come from moving over ?
What harm can come from you throwing an object at them ? ALOT . They may then get POed and tap you or flat out run you over . Is that worth it ?
I know it's tough to swallow your pride and let someone pass.

So I either let them pass or 'double downshift and hammer it for a mile or two to put space in between us .

+1000 to many freakin idiots around, throw a rock at em and you may get some lead thrown at you in return. I drive a truck for a livin so I have gotten used to and have no choice but to let the stupid ones be stupid and stay away from them. Now I did see on tv some dude that rigged up a flame thrower to his bike, lay out about 15 feet of fire cause he said he was tired of tailgaters, bet that would get someones attention:beerchug:

todays morning ride, had to change lanes, check my mirrors to see a car about 600m behing and not approaching too fast, a few meters before i enter the roundabout i check my mirrors and i see cars headlights in both mirrors! i switch on the hazards and to my relief he gets the point.

another time i was approaching traffic and a land cruiser was tailgating real bad, had to shoo him off with my hands...it worked too

errr the marbel idea has come to mind a few years ago after a family van kept swerving into our lane intentionally

i always just stuck with the fast traffic :whistle: Motorcycle officers in KC always told me it was best to move a lil faster (not 90 mind you) than most and to take off when there were tailgaters (because they usually have some serious tunnel vision going on and pose a serious threat to every other driver around them).

Back