Beginner Fly Rod

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
This past summer my wife and I purchased our retirement home which sits on a piece of property with a 3/4 acre pond and streams running in and out of it.

I love to fish, and since the pond is stocked with Bass, Catfish, Bream, etc I have a good time fishing for fun. I am looking to get into fly fishing a bit and would like a couple of recommendations on a beginner fly fishing rod and reel.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

I'm going to ask a buddy of mine this, i know he researched a lot in this before he bought a setup for the surf, we do primarily salt water fishing, but used it once and just wasn't as interested in it as he thought he would be. He is now selling it but not sure if its a true beginner setup.

When he gets back to me i'll post back up for sure to give you more information on a setup besides the following.

TFO Pro 9' 9wt 4 piece
TFO Prism 9/10 Large Arbor Reel
330 Yard Dacron Backing
10wt Salt Water Mastery Tarpon Taper Intermediate Sink Line
A couple Flies
Fly case (Medium Sized one)

I think he is wanting $300 for all that but again I'm not a fly fisherman to know the difference lol, i just heard back he said it would be a good setup for some of the large bass flys but might be a little to heavy of a setup for the smaller flys

This is a decent read i just found googling the subject ...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Fly-Fishing-For-Bass said:
Fly Fishing For Bass, Choosing the Best Fly Rod For Bass]
Bass are one of, if not the most popular fish in the Americas. Not only are they incredible fighters, but at least one species of bass can be found in almost any body of water from Canada, throughout the U.S. and into South America. Although not near as popular as bait casting and spin fishing, one of the best thrills in fishing is catching bass on a fly rod. Before you can do this though, you will need a Bass Fly Fishing setup. Here we will discuss the aspects that should be taken into account when choosing the best fly rod for bass, which is not as straight forward as it sounds! Bass come in many different sizes, strengths and species, and require different techniques for different situations. Let's take a look at these aspects and then you can go through the link at the end to my website where we will talk more about brands and models of fly rods for bass.

Size: what weight fly rod will be best for Bass?

Bass come in all different sizes that vary widely with respect to species. The species not only determines size, but also strength. For instance, a Small Mouth Bass has the ability to put up as much fight as some fish twice its size. This needs to be taken in to account when choosing the best fly rod for Bass. All bass start out small, but can grow to large sizes. Therefore it is suggested that you go with a bass fly rod that is designed for the larger end of the spectrum. You will not want to be weak in back bone when you need it. Here is a generic list of species and the weights that are recommended for each.

• Small Mouth Bass (0-8 lbs): 6-7wt

• Large Mouth Bass (0-10 lbs): 7-8wt

• Striper Bass, freshwater (5-15 lbs): 8-10wt

• Stripers Bass, Saltwater (10-30 lbs): 10wt

• Peacock Bass (3-20 lbs): 8-10wt

• Rainbow Bass (1-8 lbs): 8wt

Rod Action: determines how a rod casts.

When fly fishing for Bass, typically you will be using heavy flies that will take some back bone to get out of the water and to get any distance. A stiff, fast action fly rod will be able to best cast weighted flies, sink tips and wind catching poppers. If you go with a rod that is too soft, you will be struggling to get the fly out of the water.

Fly Lines for Bass:

Bass can be fished with many different methods. Different types of line will be needed to cover all tactics. For instance, when using top water poppers, a floating line will be needed. When using bait fish imitations, a sinking line will be the best to get the fly to the fish. For this reason it is best to use a line that can be used for multiple situations, which is a line that has interchangeable tips: floating with multiple sink tips for different sink rates. For more information on lines, follow the link at the end of this article.

Rod Quality:

Rod quality ranges widely. With increases in quality, obviously price will increase. There is a wide range in prices from the cheap Wal-Mart combo setup at $40 to a high end $700 dollar rod.

There are two criteria I suggest everyone stick with for any rod for any fish.
Number 1: buy the highest quality rod you can afford.
Number 2: Make sure any rod you purchase comes with a lifetime warranty. To get a rod with a lifetime warranty, you will need to spend at least $200. It may sound like a lot, but it is worth it when you figure you will be making an investment to last a lifetime.

You have probably broken a rod or several in the past, and most likely it will happen again whether it be on a fish or your car door. When choosing the best fly rod for bass, remember that you will be using hard to cast flies, so you the better the rod, the easier time you will have. Those spendier rods do work hard and are worth it if you can fit one into your budget.

Conclusion:

Several rod makers build rods that are designed for bass of all species. There are many different sizes to choose from, and they do get expensive, so you will want to make sure you go with the right Bass fly rod the first time. It is also a wise idea to buy a rod that can be used for multiple species of fish. To narrow your search down to specific brands and models click here: Online Fly Fishing Guide: Index where we will show you the exact rods that we recommend and use ourselves. Or, you may click here to go to The Online Fly Fishing Gear Guide where we give you recommendations on all gear that has to do with fly fishing.

a sage is the way to go. ask the locals what's good for what you want to fish for.

There are many makes and models along with different weight and rod actions. If you have a fly fishing club around you go there and talk with some of the club members.

If you want to try it on your own, I'd suggest a fly rod, reel and line combo from Cabelas. See if you like this type of fishing before buying the expensive stuff. Rent a video on casting and go out and practice in the pond.

I've been fishing for over 40 years with spinning and casting gear. I tried fly fishing last year and its a whole new experience. It's like learning all over again. If you'd like to talk more about gear, pm me and I'd be glad to help.

i'd listen to Ogre :poke: he is from montana, it's against the law to not know how to fish up there :rulez: isn't it?:laugh:
Twist is on the right track too.
i did it alot when i was younger. for me it was all about the fly and the line. i fished with alot of garage sale specials, and my daddy's and grand daddy's old stuff.

good luck and have fun. it can be a very cool way to catch a fish. and i have found that i can throw everything in the tackle box at um and if nothing works, i can always get a fish on a fly. :thumbsup:

wait.....getting ready to retire....bought retirment property....ok its official...i hate you...lol

practice a lot without a hook on the line. Nothing gets your attention quicker then having the line crack right next to your ear knowing it's got a hook on it. :whistle:

I took up fly fishing two years ago. Listen, if you want to play with the rod do it on your own. If you want to learn how to do it, contact a Fly Club to get some knowledge on casting, line, leader, and what fly will work where. Look into renting a guide if you can not get help from the Fly Club, it is well worth the price. You will learn so much in so little time.

I hope it works out well for you.

I'll tell you what I use on our farm pond in Ga., a zebco 202 and a nightcrawler.:laugh:

I'll tell you what I use on our farm pond in Ga., a zebco 202 and a nightcrawler.:laugh:

I hear ya, but when I have a few lines set for cat, my wife is fishing for bass with a crank bait, I some times have a feeling that a fly fishing rod may be fun.

Caught a 6 lb Largemouth on a 8wt Fly rod last Fall and had the time of my life! I was on a float tube and had to use the fins to keep me from being pulled by the fish. I've hooked some nice Crappie with my 5wt also. Its fun catching fish using a fly rod. Really have to think and concentrate. :thumbsup:

If you have a local fly shop, I would start there. Most fly shops have casting instructors that will help you pick a rod to match your casting speed and application.

Warning, this can get really expensive but is a LOT of fun!!!

If you have a local fly shop, I would start there. Most fly shops have casting instructors that will help you pick a rod to match your casting speed and application.

Warning, this can get really expensive but is a LOT of fun!!!

Here's someone with experience! :bowdown:

I just started and got hooked really easy. In a years time I've spent enough on gear to buy a NICE used Busa! :laugh:

Back