Bead Damage

Unomi

Registered
What’s everyone’s opinion on this head damage?

3FF675FC-DC4A-46E1-8254-4FA69FD521CC.jpeg

Yeah she’s fooked mate.. cords are exposed so it’s a goner!
To me that looks like the cables that surround the bead inside the rubber have broken. ...or at least one of them. There are usually three or maybe four. That's what keeps your tire from coming off the rim if it ever goes flat. I would definitely not try to use that tire any longer. There's no repairing that tire damage and I think it's very likely that broken cable could cause damage to the bead surface of the wheel. I'd ditch the tire and inspect the bead surface of the wheel for scratches. Polish if necessary.

Thank you both for the fast replies. This happened when attempting to apply small bites for installation. I thought I had enough lubrications and small enough bites.

I think I need to let the pros install. I don’t want to mess another one up.

I lubed every car tire I ever put on, but never had to lube a motorcycle tire to get it on the wheel.
I say watch some videos for technquies, and practice with that tire(as said, it's not safe to use).
Don't give up because the first try didn't go well.

Sixpack, I did consider using it for practice, but it would be better if I had a spare rim too. I haven’t made up my mind yet.

Regarding “bites,” the videos I’ve watched and the articles I’ve read kept referring to very small increments (using the spoons) as “bites.”

Sixpack, I did consider using it for practice, but it would be better if I had a spare rim too. I haven’t made up my mind yet.

Regarding “bites,” the videos I’ve watched and the articles I’ve read kept referring to very small increments (using the spoons) as “bites.”
Yeah, I know what you meant...I call them the same thing.
And know this, some tires, like that one, will fight you to no end...and others will fall right on...really.
If you decide to mount them yourself(you should, you've already experienced the worse, it'll get better), you'll need a good static balancer and weights too.
Tires Need balanced, and they don't need a fancy machine to be glass smooth all the way to top speed.
Just consider the time and money you save doing it yourself.
Need tools? You only buy them once.
Go to the dealer...pay Every time.
What it adds up to is worth a little effort.
:beerchug:

To me that looks like the cables that surround the bead inside the rubber have broken. ...or at least one of them. There are usually three or maybe four. That's what keeps your tire from coming off the rim if it ever goes flat. I would definitely not try to use that tire any longer. There's no repairing that tire damage and I think it's very likely that broken cable could cause damage to the bead surface of the wheel. I'd ditch the tire and inspect the bead surface of the wheel for scratches. Polish if necessary.
Thats what I said!
In short . . . . she's FOOKED!

Six, I did get a static balance with a set of weights. No matter how much prep, I botched the install. I think I will try it again, but not right now. I can’t afford another mistake like that until my finances get a little better.

I moved from Vegas to FL and Im doing a LOT of routine maintenance since the bike was in storage for so long.

Thank you, and the others in the community, for fast responses.

That's really mess up that it happened just installing it, but like others already mentioned, its mess up. Not worth the risk. Get another one and move on. Sometimes we win some, sometimes we lose some.

@Unomi what part of Fl did you moved?

Sometimes I visit Fl, Deltona area, I wish I could go this week for bike week, but I couldn't make it this time :banghead:

Maybe it was the tire installation the at broke the cable. Small bites should help avoid such a problem. Were you squeezing both beads into the drop center of the rim? Maybe even use a ratchet strap to press the beads in the drop center next time. Maybe it was so tight the cable broke. I know it requires a tremendous amount of force when I lever my tires on using 14" irons. It;s scary. I try to take as big of bites as possible but after it's on half way, I have no choice but to take smaller bites. I often spend hours getting a tire changed so the slow stretch might be on my side. I think I started to get pretty good at it after about 4 or 5 tire changes. I'm still very slow though. A huge amount of tire lube can also cause the irons to slip around. It's a PITA no matter what you do. I'd still do it but I think I'd go to a Cycle Hill tire changer and some of their tools look pretty helpful. I heard it;s still no piece of cake even with the Cycle Hill tire changer. ...much harder than they make it look in the videos so I've been told.

That's why I take my rims to the dealer to get tires installed.....and keep guys like @Kiwi Rider employed.....

I buy the tires from the same dealership and get a discount on installation and I take the rims off the bike and hand them to the service guys.....they get a chuckle out of that...one even asked me if I own a bike or just parts.
This ^^^

Most things I do myself. Some I outsource. And some I just can't be bothered dealing with. And changing tyres is one of them.

Take them off, drop them in, pick them up later that afternoon and have a chat and coffee with the local shop.

I'm kind of old school and like building relationships with people is the shops.

This ^^^

Most things I do myself. Some I outsource. And some I just can't be bothered dealing with. And changing tyres is one of them.

Take them off, drop them in, pick them up later that afternoon and have a chat and coffee with the local shop.

I'm kind of old school and like building relationships with people is the shops.
My buddy owns the shop and he and I get a chance to hang out and reminisce a little....and the fact he loves Hayabusas is even better.

Back