be careful with those drain plugs!!

hemi

Registered
just did an oil change on my 08, and i'm always worried about strippin that stupid drain plug just from seeing the threads on here. Have done all the work on my vehicles/bikes since i was old enough to drive and don't think i have ever stripped a bolt. Tightened the drain plug with a 3/8" ratchet after the change, went barely snug about 1/4 turn past tight, torqued it to 14ft lbs and i was already past it, probably about 16 or 17 ft lbs. I know the recommended torque is 16 but i like to go a little light just in case. Just a warning, if i would have gave it much more who knows, maybe i would have stripped it. If i ended up stripping the drain plug my torque wrench would probably be through the garage door:laugh:, i've been known to throw a few wrenches when i get frustrated

198 In-Lbs each and every time. Never had an issue.

I do mine too. Need to invest in a crush washer or two. Still running the factory washer at 21K miles. I snug mine up, never a problem, never a leak. Oh boy I think I just jinxed myself :banghead:

I just snug mine and I never have a problem. If your torque wrench if off, you could easily strip it.

very true. That's why, when using my torque wrench, i go nice and slow and have a very sensitive feel for it. If it feels like it should be torqued or getting close i will back it off a few ft lbs and slowly work up to the recommended torque. Really it's all about common sense, if u set your torque wrench to 16ft lbs and just keep crankin away bc the torque wrench didn't "click" yet, obviously something is wrong and your torque wrench isn't calibrated properly

I do mine too. Need to invest in a crush washer or two. Still running the factory washer at 21K miles. I snug mine up, never a problem, never a leak. Oh boy I think I just jinxed myself :banghead:

17 ft lbs is not enough to crush a factory washer. At least not the one they told me was OEM.

I purchased a washer from my local shop and it was the solid aluminum washer. I went back and ordered the OEM crush washer and could not crush it even a little bit over tight. Leaked

Went to O-reilly's and purchased two different types of synthetic oil washers and first one I tried worked fine.

Don't EVER go OVER recommended torque. A few pounds under is acceptable but never over.

Don't EVER go OVER recommended torque. A few pounds under is acceptable but never over.

I usually always go under 1 ft lb or two, or three just to be safe in case my torque wrench is out of calibration :laugh:

Can always tighten things little by little to get it right. Rather under-tighten and have small leaks then over-tighten and have to replace things...

Back