Be careful what you wish for!!!

uncle quinn

Registered
Well, I really hated the brakes on my 08 busa...They just felt like they had no grab, required WAY too much effort to slow the beast down, were mushy...and I decided I was going to make some changes...WELL...

I just took the bike for a test drive after:
Brembo 19X20 master installed
Galfer steel lines
Galfer HH pads

.........................JESUS CHRIST! This thing locks up the front with 1 finger, no problems, and thats with the pads not even set in yet! OMG this thing stops amazing. And this Brembo mc? You pull in the brake and it just feels like a rock, no mush at all...I really didnt think I could make this thing a 1-finger-braking machine, but it is...

So I'm almost wondering now if they work TOO good. I can't believe I would say that EVER about busa brakes, but if you don't have some skill and feel, and amazing restraint, I fear this setup might bite you back pretty hard! Well, that's my .02 for now. If you see pics of a wrecked blue/black busa in the next month or so, it might be me, and you will know what happened...:bowdown:

becarefull, don't lock up that front wheel!:thumbsup:
and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Modulation is as important as all out power. It will take some getting used to but it sounds like a winning combo.:bowdown: How about some wave rotors to finish out the package?

Last edited:
You'll have to re-learn how to use your brakes in order to stay safe.

:thumbsup:

--Wag--

Im sorry about no pics at this time, my camera is broken and my cell takes crap pics. I bought the Brembo from Sportbiketrackgear.com. GREAT guys, and they review (with video for you to watch) virtually every item they sell, so you can really get an idea of what they think. Every guy involved either races or track days loads, so their opinions are based on something solid.

I bought the brake lines and pads from Melissa at Cycle Brakes.com, who I found on this site. I couldnt find the correct parts to complete the install, and she helped me out and got the parts so I could get it done.

I am taking it out for a ride today up through the 33 hwy out of Ojai, which should give me a great idea of what I have in store, will let you know.

Sorry again for the lack of pics:rulez:

welcome! i thought about doing the brembo set up for next yr. but now you have me wondering. one panic stop for me and i'm dust for sure. maybe i'll stick w/ ss lines hh ebc pads only. ???

I went out for about a 60 mile loop through some solid canyons late afternoon yesterday and impressions of the Brembo/ss lines/ hh pads are the following:

The brakes work amazing, but maybe too good for this bike. What I mean is this; The busa is long and low (and heavy) compared to gsxr 600/750/1000, and when you have extremely powerful brakes applied on the busa, it tends to want to just lock the front wheel and slide (I know, I did quite a few HARD braking sessions to test the power out) and continue straight, rather than diving the front a little and digging the front tire in, which usually results in a very light rear end at speed.

Only when I made an effort to get up over the front wheel did it seem to dig in and lift the rear end first, stopping a bit better, rather than locking up and sliding when I pushed the brakes hard. So my feeling is that now the brakes work so well, that the front wheel locks up without much effort. It feels like the momentum wants to keep moving forward and little weight transfer occurs under hard braking, so more powerful brakes become a waste. Around town however, when you are not in such a serious braking situation, they were very easy to use (I just rest my index finger and give a light tap).

Will I keep them on? Yes. However, now I am looking for an adjustable ride-height Ohlins rear so I can change both the steering angle (wake it up a bit) and transfer more weight onto the front wheel under hard braking (more like a sport bike) by raising the back a few inches (I am consulting a suspension tuner and may take it out to a trackday to dial it in). Then the additional braking power will make a difference and this thing should stop VERY good, without wanting to just lock up and plow down the road...Oh, and I plan to get a VERY sticky front tire...No like the sliding/plowing front wheel at 60 mph..

*A side note, for those of you that have had BMW's, they come with the Tele-Lever front suspension (no forks) and the big selling point is that the front doesnt dive under hard braking. Well, if you ride one, it feels odd and makes you feel like the front will plow under hard braking(takes getting used to). THIS is what my busa felt like all day yesterday when I really hammered the brakes. Little feedback, no reall dip in the front end. and when it locked up, it just locked up...No warning, no light rear end to let me know im reaching the end of the bikes braking ability. (The BMW system works great, the reference was just for feel, not outright performance comparo's)

So if you like the ss lines and hh pads, I wouldnt get Brembo unless you plan on chasing the dream...$$$

Brembo delivers great brakes, it just takes a bit of getting use to.

You have no better brakes than stock, just a lighter tough. You can lock the front tire with stock brakes no problem. Personally, I find it more difficult to brake hard with very sensitive feel. That position between maximum braking and locking the tire becomes a very fine line.

Be very careful on wet pavement dude, brakes that sensitive can put you on your caboose.

Back