Be Careful and always expect the unexpected!

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
Was riding yesterday with some new found friends and one of the guys was taking an aggressive turn into a straight away. Along that straight was the driveway to a house. A lady in her van was turning across our lane into the driveway and thought she had enough time to make it in front of his bike. She didnt! He died right there. So, I feel it's my responsibility to reiterate to each and every one of you that this stuff is serious. Please please be careful

que5710n

:down: I'm so sorry ... my prayers go out to the friends and family...

Someone said it the other day... Ride like every other person on the road is out to kill you.

Sorry to hear his, but it is not your fault all riders are responsible for their own actions. Whether they are tempted or provoked they are still the one in control. Very sad story, the left hand turn from oncoming traffic is the hardest to avoid and hardest to predict.
My prayers are with you and his family.

Death is a part of life. No one can avoid it but we can extend it with good judgment and common sense.

RIP!

That's so sad. Both riders and cagers are equally unaware of the perceived difference in speed.

Several months ago I crossed an intersetion, looked both ways first and as soon as I made it across, a bike whizzed past me in the rear view. I know he wasn't there when I looked, so he must have been doing some crazy speeds.

So sorry....

:down: I'm so sorry ... my prayers go out to the friends and family...

Someone said it the other day... Ride like every other person on the road is out to kill you.

Ride like every other person on the road is out to kill you..

Ive been saying that for years.. I tell that to my friends and family that ride at least once a year..

It sucks hearing that about another rider ..

rip....truely sad....clear roads and no driveways before speeding

Very, very sad. RIP to the rider and condolences to his family.

I've been confronted with this type of situation when out in the country, and had a couple of close calls. Any oncoming car that's slowing down is a suspect of left turning in front of you. What worsens the situation is that more often than not they don't put the blinker ON, so an oncoming rider has no idea they intend to turn until it's too late.

Another factor (which most will disagree with me on) is the fact that bikes have their headlights ON. It is true that the headlight makes the bike more noticeable. However, a single headlight makes it impossible for the oncoming traffic to gauge the speed of the bike thus contributing to a driver's mistake. That's why I have a headlight switch and keep it OFF most of the time. Probably most optimal thing would be to have a headlight dimmed so that its light intensity is close to the one of a traffic light - bright enough to be noticed, but not too bright to mask the dimensions of the moving bike. It's the observed change in the bike's dimensions that provides to oncoming drivers the perception of the bike's speed. Installing marker lights is not a bad idea either - seeing the headlight and marker lights (a pair of small headlights on both sides of the frontal area of the bike) makes it a triangle whose dimensions change as the bike is moving, and as a result lets the oncoming driver gauge the speed.

have a guy who lives around here in icu very bad off cause a teenager stole 10 dollars worth of gas and was running fromn cops and hit him as he turned on his road to his house,,,very sad,,,,,so yes you always have to be careful

We appreciate the support. I feel it my duty to keep everyone in touch with reality. That's all. Now have a fun and safe weekend :beerchug:

QUE5710N

Very sad to hear....
All left turning cagers are to blame for the accident [if] the rider is not speeding.
If the rider is speeding it becomes a whole different story....No cager should have to have the knowledge to deal with another vehicle thats going way fast [car or bike] to be able to judge whether to wait or turn, or cross the road ahead of you..there is no training for this in drivers ed. I personally have scared two drivers so bad that one drove into the ditch because they thought i was going to rear end them.The second one could have been very nasty.. I am in the slow lane going way fast coming up on a car. BTW this is a right hand curve, there is a car in the fast lane also about four car lenghts behind the car in front of me....I decide to just do a quick left right [Straffe] between them and pass....as i start to the left the car in front of me thinks i'm gonna end up inside the car with them and makes a very fast sharp right turn onto a possible very sandy shoulder. And i'm past...Now if that car that went onto the shoulder had spun out it would have cut across to the left and then gotten T- boned by the car in the fast lane when i was already well
past both. What would i have done...that was a major wake-up call for me . It would have been My Fault....
Ps many years ago i saw a guy who lives across the street with a cast on his arm... I said what happend... he said some old lady pulled out in front of him and t-boned her car.
I asked where were you...when this happend...Oh he say's Altahoe area..Oh a 25 speed limit there with very small city blocks..yes he say's.. How fast were you going..replies about 65. Who would you blame ??? Vonderbach said it too.. percieved speed...

Very sad outcome. I have to agree with Pacemaster though. When you choose to speed or ride very aggressively on the street you are taking on all the risk as drivers (or other riders) cannot be expected to act in a predictable manner when they can't anticipate how fast you are going. If the speed limit is 60 kmh and you come out of a corner doing 110 it shouldn't be a surprise to you when someone turns in front of you. Safest way is to take it to the track.

Back