battery

m16

Registered
hey guys, my battery died (got a 06 busa 600 miles)
i let it sit over the winter for a couple of months...
is this normal?

also i'm trying to buy a charger online are stock batteries 6V or 12 Volt?

Take the battery to advance or autozone, etc. and have it checked. You might be able to charge it, but never leave a battery for extended periods of time. Get a battery tender. Well maintained batteries, SLA's anyway last three + years.

That does seem to be a bit early yes. But the letting it sit over the winter is not a very healthy battery ingredient. Will it take a charge or do you not know because you have no charger? It may just be flat and will take a charge and be "OK" for now. Even a well cared for battery will only go like 3 years.

Its a 12Volt system. Good luck.

i would startr with a new 14 amp battery. Not worth the problem you may have with the old one being depleted.

I recently left my bike over night with the key in the park position and killed my battery, took a while to get it jumped off with a full size truck. Put 20 miles on it and it's cranked ever since.

Good luck dude.

If you buy a charger, make sure it has a slow charge setting. Automotive chargers can damage a motorcycle battery. If it has a 2amp setting it should be ok.

(Professor @ Jun. 12 2007,12:22) If you buy a charger, make sure it has a slow charge setting. Automotive chargers can damage a motorcycle battery. If it has a 2amp setting it should be ok.
+1 and the Key wording on some chargers are Trickle charging ! Battery Tender and Omni both do trickle charging (which is a SLOW charge cycle)  
beerchug.gif

(TurboSN95 @ Jun. 12 2007,17:26) If you go with a new battery, look into the Yuasa YTZ14S - my Busa never started so nice!!!
+1

Makes me wonder why it is not now the OEM battery. Maybe because it was make for a Honda.
cool.gif

well i fully charged the battery and the bike still won't start, barely cranks once or twice before dying....
i can't beleive i would need a new battery( it's only 1 year old)
could there be other problems i could be having?
HELP PLEASE

(m16 @ Jun. 12 2007,18:02) well i fully charged the battery and the bike still won't start, barely cranks once or twice before dying....
i can't beleive i would need a new battery( it's only 1 year old)
could there be other problems i could be having?
HELP PLEASE
Yes there could be many problesm. If the bike started up when you jumped it? It is the battery. Most likely as we had said the battery will not hold the charge. Start there before going into 200 other possibilities.

could be a bad cell in the battery. If it is under a year old just take it to the deal and let them give you a new one.

(dadofthree @ Jun. 12 2007,12:16) I recently left my bike over night with the key in the park position and killed my battery, took a while to get it jumped off with a full size truck. Put 20 miles on it and it's cranked ever since.

Good luck dude.
Doing that is VERY hard on your charging system. The alternator is not designed to charge a dead battery.

I don't get all these 'dead battery' issues. I get no less than 5 years out of my batteries. Infact, I just replaced the original factory battery in my 99 gsxr. I let batteries sit over the winter and they don't go dead. I just pulled my jetskis out of storage, both fired right up after sitting 6 months plus. I normally keep the battery tender on rotation over the winter, but last winter I was lazy and dind't.

Back