Battery want stay charged

Acetrey

Registered
I have an 04 Busa that battery want stay charged. i've had the batttery fully charged but it only last for about 40 min then its drained again. Any idea on what could be causing this?

Either it's not holding a charge and needs to be replaced, or you've got something draining it. How old is battery? Do you have any accessories you have wired? Example: A USB port is ALWAYS using power (I ruined a battery finding this out)....

best thing is pull the battery,take to almost any auto parts store and have them check the amps and CCA,if the battery is good you know that the problem is in charging system or something else

Either the battery is bad ( can be tested at any auto parts store ) the charging circuit is bad ( simple test laid out in the manual ) or you have a massive drain ( this test is also simple and in the manual )

I'm not sure how old the battery is since i've only had it forabout 7 months. I did have the battery charged but they wre not able to test it. No I don't have any accessories.

I'm not sure how old the battery is since i've only had it forabout 7 months. I did have the battery charged but they wre not able to test it. No I don't have any accessories.

Go to a store that will charge and load test the battery. Find someone close to you that has a voltmeter. Maybe a neighbor. You will not get hurt testing a 12 VDC system. The body only begins to feel sensation around 50 volts normally.

After the battery is found to be good or is replaced with good. Place the black meter lead on the negative battery terminal and the red meter lead on the positive battery lead. I don't have the manual, but you should see over 12 VDC at idle. Make sure your idle is set properly at around 1200 R.P.M.s. again I don't have the manual. At 5000 R.P.M.s you should see over 13.5 VDC. If you do your charging circuit is healthy.

If you are still having trouble you'll need to place the VOM in an ampere selection, disconnect the negative battery terminal and tie the meter in the open circuit. One lead on the battery and the other lead connected to the negative battery lead you removed and see if there's a huge drain. From memory under 30 MA is normal. This test is done with the bike off, key in your hand.

In the drain test. The last one I addressed watch the meter deflection, as soon as the circuit is made it should go upscale slightly or it might peg downscale. If it pegs downscale, then reverse you leads.

Is it while riding for 40 min, or the bike just sitting for 40 min with the engine off?

How about disconnecting a fully charged battery, waiting for a few hours, then re-connecting, and starting the bike? If a fully charged battery can't hold a charge for a few hours - junk it. If the bike starts right up, then you've got charging issues.

My voltage regulator gradually went bad and wasn't charging well. I bought an aftermarket one, which solved the problem. BTW, I spoke with their tech support and they said Suzuki voltage regulators are junk.

you gotta be consistent, and eliminate one thing at a time.

Back