Battery tenders .... which one to buy?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
ok, just finally getting to the point of ordering one of these things. I know a lot of folks use the Battery Tender Plus

But has anyone used this one? Yuasa automatic 1.5 amp battery charger
rock.gif

save yer money for something fun.

just start the thing once/twice a month and let it idle up to normal operating temps... have done this with every bike I've ever owned (well excluding the kick starters) and never had a problem..

going on my 6th year now with the OEM battery in the 'busa. Plus it's not going to let the engine, tranny, clutch.. all that jazz dry out completely from lack of oil circulation.

probably change the oil before ya park it first also..

The Yuasa Charger at that price is a killer deal. I have a smaller trickle that I hook up when she's been sitting for a week or more, keeps the battery happy and healthy.

Nothing wrong with ego's method either, although if you let it get too cold for too long you could end up wwith a flat battery and no way of charging it. I like the tenders, mine is a Yuasa and it works like a champ, keeps things peaked and happy...

Here in cold weather Vt.
I just use the 8 dollar 1 amp trickle chargers.
Works great on the 4 wheelers and snow machines.
I usually get 5 years out of a battery with a little care.

The Yuasa Charger at that price is a killer deal.  I have a smaller trickle that I hook up when she's been sitting for a week or more, keeps the battery happy and healthy.
I just bought this Yuasa charge from this site just last week. It's scheduled to arrive at my house today actually. I also bought from them the battery with more cold cranking amps than the stocker (YTZ14-S). These guys seem to have the best prices anywhere around.

I'd say go with the Yuasa charger just cause that's what I'm getting. Nothing wrong with either one though.

I've got the Battery Tender Plus and it works well. Sounds like you will be okay with either one.

A guy I know has almost 200 motorcycles, he uses the mutiple outlet tenders and standard tenders. I have a Chicago battery tender, he's had a few of those burn up and doesn't use the chicago's anymore. Just to be on the safe side I put the charger in an area where it can't set anything on fire if it burns up, probably a good practice no matter what brand you are using. Keeps em from getting knocked onto the floor too.

A battery will last longer if when it's dead you use a trickle charger to charge it back up, easier on the charging system on the bike too. If you have an alarm on the bike, you need a tender. Get a quick disconnect for it too, route it into the tail and out the left side where the grab bar hole is. Makes it convenient.

Tender.

save yer money for something fun.

just start the thing once/twice a month and let it idle up to normal operating temps...  have done this with every bike I've ever owned (well excluding the kick starters) and never had a problem..

going on my 6th year now with the OEM battery in the 'busa.  Plus it's not going to let the engine, tranny, clutch.. all that jazz dry out completely from lack of oil circulation.

probably change the oil before ya park it first also..
A BIG PLUS 1

I start 'er up once a week and ride up and down the street until she's up to operating temperature. Save your loot for more fun things!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|CCbusa05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133288256 -->

I forgot to mention that I have the quik-connect thingies on the Busa, both Blackbirds, the HD Low Rider and my Craftsman riding mower. I alternate the Battery Tender Plus between them every 3 or 4 days. It keeps them all ready to go. Even the HD will start right up after turning on the gas and priming the carb. Man, the difference between the HD and the other bikes is like the difference between chicken salad and chicken sh*t. In many ways.

David

I bought six of the Battery Tender Plus from Ron Ayers.com.
They work perfect on bikes and a couple of my classic cars.
Mad`

I bought six of the Battery Tender Plus from Ron Ayers.com.
They work perfect on bikes and a couple of my classic cars.
Mad`
I just bought several extra Quik-connects at the same time and rotate the charger every few days. Nothing goes more than a week or so without getting a peak charge.

David

yeah they have the multi-output model too.... I just have the one toy to charge
blush.gif
I just figured the Yuasa one would be good since they made the battery.... guess I'm just gonna add this to the xmas list and see who gets what
cool.gif

Brian,

Either of those will work for what you need.

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133302725 -->

I have the Optimate III. I love it. Same thing as the battery tender I think. The only thing is that instead of trickle chagring all the time it moniters the voltage after charging up to 13.2 volts. When it falls below 11.8 volts it uses only like 0.25 amps to slow charge it back up. This way is great for regular acid batteries as it won't "boil off" the battery acid. It also has the feature that will revive old and deeply discharged batteries. It can bring old batteries back to life. A friend had a bike that he let sit for a year and the battery dried out. I refilled it with water and hooked it up to this charger and it held charge again.

My vote is for the Optimate III

Back