Battery question

Kaptain Kanji

Registered
I'm trying to figure out if I need to replace this battery in the Busa.
I cranked it for 3, five second bursts and on the fouth burst, the cranking started
noticeably slowing down. Is that about normal.??
If I put it on the battery tender when I get back from a ride, it goes to
full green in 3 to 5 minutes.
For some strange reason, when I push it down the driveway apron out into the sun
and then try to start it, I have to crank it 2 or 3 times to get it to start. If I leave
it in the garage and start it, it starts up on the first round of cranking.
VERY weird.!!
Anyway, I'm wondering if I just need a new battery.??
TIA

Last edited:
Just remember that just because a battery tender says the battery is charged. All that means it is taking a charge, NOT necessarily HOLDING a charge as the tender continually charges the battery. How old is the battery, because if it's a couple of years or older, get a new one. It does sound like a battery problem which is easy to fix :beerchug:

All info you provided is incomplete.

1. When you tried cranking multiple times, was the battery fully charged?

2. After you cranked it 4 times, did you put it on the charger and how long did it take to turn green in this case?

3. When you ride, the bike charges the battery. So, if you put the battery on chrage... well, it's just been charged by the bike, so it's not surprising you get a green light in a few min.

4. The part about starting in the sun and in the garage is not clear at all. So, if you can't start in the sun, just push it back in the garage and it should start right away, right?

I've got an email in to the previous owner to find out how old the battery is. One of the downfalls
especially in the gel batteries is that they tend to lose their capacity to hold as much charge as
they get older. if it's more than a couple years old, I'll just replace it.
Thanks guys.

Before you replace your battery, suggest you clean the terminals of both the battery and the electrical cables with a wire brush. Corrosion - which can be as little as dull gray color - robs voltage and hence current that your battery can deliver. Even worse, it can prevent your bike from charging the battery well.

Also recommend the BatteryMinder Amazon.com: VDC Electronics BatteryMINDer Charger, Maintainer, Desulphator - 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117: Automotive which has rescued many batteries for me over the years.

Back