battery question,stator,and rectifier please help

busarider2013

Registered
i have this battery when bike is off it show 16.94 on volt meter ..when runing it shows 17.75 17.4 around that umber whats wrong with this picture????also where do i plug in my rectifer to volt meter and check it and how and where do i plug in the stator and what should my number be please help thanks

20140831_181004.jpg

never mind i plug in new volt meter shows 12.9 at engine off 13v and idle and 14v at 4000 rpm is this right,,,now i have to figuare out why somes time it takes a long time for her to start cold or hot,,,have to hold the start button for 10 sec wont start then when i i hit it again for 10 sec she will start some times takes 3 times of hitting start button

When the bike is OFF, should be around 12.6V. However, if you just shut off the bike (i.e. the battery was being charged), the voltage may be higher for a few min to an hour and gradually go down to 12.6V and stay there.

At idle should be no less than 13.5V. If less than that, you may have a) something going on with your charging system; or b) too much electrical load (e.g. high wattage headlights plush the fan is ON);

At 4k rpm 14V sounds about right, although I would expect a bit more (14.5 - 15.0).

Now, if the bike cranks OK, your starting problem has nothing to do with the battery, otherwise the bike wouldn't crank or would barely crank. So, if you can crank 2-3 times, 10 sec each time, and the starter cranks OK, the battery is perfectly fine. Side point: do NOT crank for longer than 3-4 sec at a time. You may be overheating the starter motor, not to mention you are draining your battery pretty good. So, if let's say you start your ride (3 x 10 sec cranks), then stop at the gas station (another 3 x 10 sec cranks), then stop to meet your friends (yet another 3 x 10 sec cranks) - your battery lost (30 sec + 30 sec + 30 sec) / 3600 sec * 100 Amp = 2.5 Ah. So, on the 4th stop your battery has 2.5 Ah less and if it was not full to begin with from all you cranking during previous rides, you may not be able to start your bike.

The problem is either spark or fuel related. Depending what year the bike, what maintenance was done, where you get your fuel, etc. you may have a reasonable suspicions, but more info needed to figure this out.

Are you getting any codes? Is FI light on?

BTW, digital V-meters are no good when measuring fluctuating voltage. Analog V-meters rule because at a quick glance they also give you a really good idea of the pattern how voltage behaves, while digital ones have numbers jumping all over the place.

Looks like you have a bunch of stuff wired to the battery.

If you have a battery tender I would charge it for up to 24 hours and see if that makes any difference.
Looks like the same battery I have. How old is it? What state do you live in? Do you ride it everyday?
How long are your rides, in miles? Did this problem just start or has it been on going for a while?

One more thing - in your picture it looks like it is showing a negative number even though
you appear to have black to negative and red to positive. ???

never mind i plug in new volt meter shows 12.9 at engine off 13v and idle and 14v at 4000 rpm is this right,,,now i have to figuare out why somes time it takes a long time for her to start cold or hot,,,have to hold the start button for 10 sec wont start then when i i hit it again for 10 sec she will start some times takes 3 times of hitting start button
I was gonna ask about the meter because that voltage would have boiled the battery. Those voltages are fine. Quick question , was there an issue before you started making checks ?

Back