Battery Problems

IL_BusaBoy

Donating Member
Registered
Well, after the bike sitting all winter not being ridden I installed the alarm a couple weeks ago and when I went to start her up to test the anti-hijack feature bike wouldn't start. Figured it was a dead battery from sitting all winter, so I put it on a charger. Started up next day like a champ. Went out today to go and take some pictures of her and to adjust the idle and she wouldn't start again. Is this normal, should I just go and charge her again, or does it sound like I need a new battery. I bought the bike 1 year ago today, so not really sure if this is something I should talk with my dealer about or not. Any help? Thanks in advance.

After doing some searching it seems like the majority of board members prefer the YTZ14S. I see that Schnitz has it for $109.90. Does anybody know of a better dealer with a better price or is this a pretty decent price? Also, what do you all prefer for a battery tender, as this will probably eliminate my problems in the future?

Batteries don't typically go bad within 1 year.

Odds are you're going to blow over $100 bucks on a new battery and it'll be dead after the bike sits a few days.

First charge the battery with it DISCONNECTED from the bike. After it's charged check the voltage. Leave it sit for a day or two (not connected to the bike) and check the voltage again. If you don't have a meter just hook it back up to the bike and I'll bet money she starts right up.

If it does start up you now need to find out what is putting a drain on the battery while connected to the bike.
My guess is it's got something to do with the new alarm system you installed. Either the alarm is bad or you made a mistake somewhere while installing it.

They can go bad in less then a year once they have had a continued drain, but most likely will take a charge and keep it if you find the drain. Most likely the last thing you installed. The alarm system??

Here's an interesting question. I had the alarm engaged while sitting in the garage and not running for awhile. How much battery does this alarm pull when not riding it every day? In other words, should I not park the bike for extended periods of time with the alarm engaged? Just curious.
rock.gif

Exactly how long is "for awhile"?

I've got an alarm system in one of my cars that will drain the 600CC battery flat in about 3 weeks.

A motorcycle battery is so small in comparison it doesn't take much to drain it. My CXT's have digital clocks on the dash that are always on by factory design. If not started for 3 weeks they will drain the 14 AH battery which is a few amps larger than the Busa battery.

I believe a 0.1 amp draw would drain a busa battery in 120 hours. If you've left it armed for a week or more odds are you have nothing wrong.
smile.gif

Here's an interesting question.  I had the alarm engaged while sitting in the garage and not running for awhile.  How much battery does this alarm pull when not riding it every day?  In other words, should I not park the bike for extended periods of time with the alarm engaged?  Just curious.  
rock.gif
You'll need to do an (amp draw test) get the owners manual on this board and download it - it shows you how to do the test and this mybe the problem.

I found extended idling can cause the battery to discharge - the cooling fan draws alot of current and the charging system really does nothing @ idle and it's also in the manual not to do this. It won't hurt to get the YTZ14S because it's higher cca and most Honda dealers stock it, unlike Suzuki I called 4 dealers and not one stocked it.
*Do you have a battery tender?

I have left the alarm armed for a week or more, and I think that's where my problem is. I took the battery out tonight and threw it on a charger and gonna have my dad take it into work tomorrow and test it out to see if it's a bad battery. Hopefully it's not, and I can save myself the $100. Anybody have a good battery tender to recommend for the winter?

Wow, $47 for that battery. I was talking to some folks over on sh.org and they told me that leaving the alarm engaged on the bike for periods of a week or more without starting and/or riding it will definitely drain the battery. Like I said in an earlier post, I will have my dad test the battery tomorrow and if it's bad I'll just have to buy a new one. If it is bad I'm thinking about going with the YTZ14S and a good battery tender. Anybody have suggestions on a tender?

Well, I charged the battery last night and had my dad take it into work and test it. He said it was perfect. Installed it tonight and started right up. Now I'm gonna see how it acts all week without the alarm engaged for long periods of time. If all works fine, I guess it was the alarm being engaged for long periods of time that was draining the battery.

Got home today and the Busa started right up. Guess that alarm does really drain the battery if left on for long periods of time. Guess I definitely learned my lesson. Glad it wasn't really the hard way.

I sell and install alarms on bike regularly, i remind all new customers that the alarm on a motorcycle is not designed to be engaged for long periods of time (over a week) without starting. My busa will be hard to start after about 3 days if the alarm is left on even if it doesn't go off. I have batt problems now when the bike is hot, it doesn't want to start. I think this is partly because i let the alarm run the batt down several times. Do a search on yahoo for YTX14S www.batterystuff.com has it for $98 shipped.

Back