Battery?  Which one? Best $$ or Best Quality?

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
I need a new battery, the old one let me down (I bet it is the original one from 2000! Not bad!)

Found two batterys at the local dealer, both liquid, no gel available.

And there is a big difference in cost, almost 50% more???

I think a battery is a battery.

Would appreciate your input (and why is Yuasa so much more, for what??)

Thanks
smile.gif

A battery is not a battery. The gel cells are more reliable and durable in my opinion and in the event the bike becomes horizontal the bad stuff stays in the battery. Gels have a small vent valve, where liquid vents gases all the time, not good on metal.

(dadofthree @ Jan. 04 2007,22:31) A battery is not a battery. The gel cells are more reliable and durable in my opinion and in the event the bike becomes horizontal the bad stuff stays in the battery. Gels have a small vent valve, where liquid vents gases all the time, not good on metal.
Thanks for the reply
smile.gif

Who makes a gel on for the busa? (the two the dealer had were both liquid acid)

I believe mine came with a Yuasa. I've only had the seat off once. Be patient the experts will answer shortly.

(GoldenChild @ Jan. 05 2007,08:06) Odessey gel battery or a ytz14 liquid best choices
What do you know about an Odessy ?
tounge.gif

Everywhere I've looked, I see Yuasa advertised as a premier aftermarket battery but I don't know anything about them.

On my 87 Mustang GT I shelled out $129 for an Optima redtop, spiral cell technology, sealed, 15 times the vibration resistance of conventional. Anyone know if they make a motorcycle battery? If they do, I will buy one when I need to replace mine.

Edit: Never mind, just did a search and no motorcycle application. If you need a car battery though, they're the best.

starter.RowPar.0003.ContentPar.0001.ColumnPar.0002.Image.0.0.gif

Picked up a Yuasa YTZ14 for my 02 Ltd in late October, much better cranking ability! The YTZ is slightly more battery than stock but fits right into the battery tray with no modifications necessary - it just sits a little higher. You won't be sorry.
-Jim

Why not go with the stock one again since the original lasted so long? I have heard numerous reports of Yuasa YTZ14S being DOA or dieing in under a year.

(jjmetheny @ Jan. 06 2007,07:11) Why not go with the stock one again since the original lasted so long? I have heard numerous reports of Yuasa YTZ14S being DOA or dieing in under a year.
The YTZ14S has about 40% more CCA than the stock battery...235 vs. 175 I believe. It should last just as long as the 12.

I'm a noob and expect delivery of my Busa Jan 10th. Oddessy was recommended by the guy that works on my chopper. A little more $$ but a two year warranty.

(ks-waterbug @ Jan. 06 2007,07:12)
(GoldenChild @ Jan. 05 2007,10:06) Odessey gel battery or a ytz14 liquid best choices
+1...
I have both and couldn't agree more!
So what's the model number on the Odyssey? I don't see the Busa listed. I assume it's the PC 310 but you know what assume means.

Also, batteries should be charged or even topped off before use. What do you guys recommend for that?

My battery is less than a year but on cold(er) mornings it seems kinda weak. My guess is since the dealer was dragin' there arse getting me my bike while I was waiting (and waiting and waiting, heck the place finaly closed) they rushed the charge.

Best Bang for the Buck i have found! One of the best for a motorcycle IMO sold by Dennis Kirk. I got one to replace the OEM in my 98 1200 Bandit. Worked for me for 3 years and still is i traded her with it. Correct me if I'm wrong here but a Gell Cell battery isn't made for alot of stuff! Only in some applications etc. The main-free battery is totaly diff. It has like fiberglass in it to stop the slosh and spilage problem. Also most bikes charge higher at top RPM just the way an alt works so the reg acid battery will get cooked. Hell read this...
Sealed Batteries
Sealed batteries don't have loose, liquid electrolyte (acid) in them; instead, it's absorbed in a thick fiberglass mat and is thus immobilized. This mat looks like fluffy cardboard when it's not in a battery.

The good: there is nothing to spill when the battery tips over, and very little to spill if it cracks.

The bad: with the immobilized acid, the only ion movement is by diffusion. So you can get stratification which leaves part of the plate in a weak acid solution and part in a strong solution. Ideally, all areas would have the same concentration so the entire plate can work for you. Also, cold performance is theoretically worse because of the slow replenishment of ions at the plate surface (they get 'used up' and need to be replaced). IIRC I could start the K75 down to about 5°F with the flooded battery but the sealed one was only good to about 10 or 15.

Due to the chemistry involved, sealed batteries usually need to operate at a voltage of about 13.2 volts, which is probably why they are so famous for eliminating ABS faults (by keeping the voltage higher during cranking). Ordinary (flooded) batteries are usually designed to have a voltage of about 12.6 to 12.8. You can get a flooded battery to maintain a voltage of 13.2 but it's not really good for it and performance suffers. With higher voltages, the charging force (difference between the resting voltage and the applied voltage) is smaller and you can get into situations where the battery might not get fully charged. This is kind of complicated but the uncharged portion becomes permanently unusable over time.

The reason for the higher voltage is that sealed batteries are designed for recombination, where the gasses given off during overcharge recombine to form water in the cell. Without this, the battery would dry up quickly. The batteries still can dry up if they're not charged very carefully, and it is probably a major factor in the life of any sealed battery, especially in an unregulated environment.

This recombination is achieved by all kinds of mechanisms, but it needs a higher voltage to happen. Basically the designers balance the active material to make sure the positive plate gasses first (giving off Oxygen) and also make sure that there's a gas path to the negative plate. Since the negative is now polarized (brimming with ions, basically) it'll re-form the water in an exothermic reaction. So the side effects are: more heat generated, and less ability to cool off (since there's no loss of hot gases, like in a flooded battery, and no internal convection).

Suzuki 1300cc GSX1300R Hayabusa Motorcycle Battery (1999-2005) Replacement

Suzuki 1300cc GSX1300R Hayabusa Motorcycle Battery (1999-2005) P-GT12A-BS$87.95
Quantity:  

Suzuki 1300cc GSX1300R Hayabusa Motorcycle Battery (1999-2005) Replacement
The Suzuki 1300cc GSX1300R Hayabusa Motorcycle Battery (1999-2005) cross-references to the following:

Power Max GT12A-BS

Manufacturer Power Max
Model GT12A-BS
Weight 7.8
Volts 12
Amp-Hour 9.5
CCA 175
Length 6
Width 3.4375
Height 4.1875
Warranty 1 Year
Chemistry SLA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sealed AGM battery. Rugged maintenance-free design. Shipped pre-charged and ready to install.

all_coholic.gif

Just one of many.

Just one place i use

Back