battery issues

drewrobinson

Registered
had bike on optimate took it off for three days went to try bike wont start battery flat battery less than two years old probably only done 2k on it left for three plus hours charging tried again no good just lots of clicking going on do you think it something else other than battery need clues its has been fine 12 months i have owned bike

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Have the battery load tested at a parts place or garage. Sounds like the battery. Age is not the only factor in battery life.

thank you robert i think you maybe right i have felt battery struggling for while but was told battery was relatively new when purchased bike

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Have the battery load tested at a parts place or garage. Sounds like the battery. Age is not the only factor in battery life.

A battery can be dead and done, right out of the box,brand new. They are a fickle thing.:laugh:

Everyone gets P.O.'d when it happens and always wonders why.

Buy the best battery you can afford.

RSD.

Welcome , only 2000 on a 2 year old battery means it sat alot . Not good for bikebatteries to sit . anytime its more than a few days you should have a trickle charger on it . You can get a good battery like a shorai and they are garunteed for 2 years . Mines 3yrs old and no problems

And from everything I've read the Lithium battery can sit forever :laugh:

not so....just ask anyone with a laptop....5 yrs tops and they degrade rapidly....normal life is about 2 yrs.
They also need mods to the bike to alter the charging voltage...the regulator is designed to work only with sealed lead acid batteries.

worst bit with a battery is its 1st charge...must be done properly at the correct voltage and current for the correct duration.
Optimates aren't perfect and some are known to actually do more harm than good by not allowing the battery to cool between charge cycles...eventually the acid level drops from basic evaporation.

not so....just ask anyone with a laptop....5 yrs tops and they degrade rapidly....normal life is about 2 yrs.
They also need mods to the bike to alter the charging voltage...the regulator is designed to work only with sealed lead acid batteries.

worst bit with a battery is its 1st charge...must be done properly at the correct voltage and current for the correct duration.
Optimates aren't perfect and some are known to actually do more harm than good by not allowing the battery to cool between charge cycles...eventually the acid level drops from basic evaporation.

Well Shorai is cool with 12 months on the shelf from memory :laugh: you're so literal. Anyone letting their Busa sit for five years that's not in prison should be punished :rofl:

As far as changes to the charging circuit , I'll step out on the limb and say you're wrong. I know a hand full of guys on here running them just fine with what the factory sent. Some of them for a good number of years now.

I also know that there are different types of Lithium batteries. Not all of them share characteristics.

Now let me go off and make sure I'm not full of do do :laugh:

LiFePO4 Shorai Bike battery

Li-Ion Typical laptop battery

I don't think the Busa charging circuits contain a desulfation mode ..........

" Q. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders?
A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX.

If you are storing your vehicle and want to check the remaining capacity, or you're a racer with a constant-loss system, you'll want to know how resting voltage (i.e. with no load or load under 200mA) maps to remaining capacity. LFX batteries should be maintained such that 20% capacity remains at minimum, as best practice. Use a good-quality voltmeter to check remaining capacity, and consider recharge whenever the battery capacity falls to about 50% remaining. Of course, if you get the Shorai dedicated BMS01 charger, you can just hit the "Store Mode" button and leave it to do the work for you. "

Even though Deltran makes a charger specifically designed for better charging and maintenance of the Shorai Lithium Battery the same one used for your SLA battery will do fine ( Deltran Battery Tender ).

Back