Battery Issue

jpowell490

Registered
Hey Guys,

Just bought a pretty new 08 busa, 1460 miles on it. The battery is giving me problems. I charged it overnight and it starts fine with the charger on it. However when I take the charger off it will start fine a few times initially. Then I can go to bed and come back the next morning, turn the key on, all lights are on fine, then hit the starter switch and it does nothing but dim the headlight to almost nothing. Bad battery?

I pulled the one out and it is a Honda battery :moon: A GTX12-BS. Now I don't think the original owner changed it, but this was one of those honda-kaw-suz-yam shops so who knows. What do you guys think, bad battery?:banghead:

Since its a honda battery, hard to say whether it is suited for your bike. Do you have any electrical add on's? Still think the best bet is to replace it, cheap peace of mind, I hate getting somewhere to find out I have a dead battery when I want to leave.

I would assume the battery, the bike itself is fairlly new, The life span of a battery is usually 3-5 years depending on how often it recieves charging. Short rides, frequent starting decrease the span while long rides and battery tenders can extend it. Have the battery checked out.

Going to pick up a new one today at the local shop. Pash was out of his with no stock in sight.

Yes the bike is basically new, but the previous owner had a TON of LED lights all throughout the bike and I hate to say it, but the wiring was less than perfect by far. If I had to guess I would say where it sit without being rode and all the LED's like Krom said.

Now, I just need to get rid of the spray painted signal lights and tail light and I should be set.......yes I did say spray painted on the inside as well :whistle:

See if you have a Batteries Plus near you - I got my battery there for A LOT less than local shops were charging for one.

Thanks for the tip Oms,

Actually picked up a factory Yuasa today at the dealer for 90 bucks. Didn't think that was too bad, so I took it.

ONE WORD - recall!
I bought a brand new 08 in April of 08 and received a letter that summer stating it had been recalled due to bad ignition switch/wiring harness. I didn't take in my bike because I thought the problem didn't affect me. Yes, I realize it was not smart to ignore the recall.

When I started getting the same issues you are stating I replaced my battery (after about 28k miles) figuring it was time for a new one. I was having the same issues as you. Once I put the brand new battery, the bike still didn't start. I took it in for a recall and they determined it to be the ignition switch!

Now it is wonderful and starts everytime although I think I didn;t need to replace the battery. Oh well, I have a brand new battery.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hey al,

Yea I heard about that, I called the dealership and they checked my vin number and it had the recall before it left the dealership. So I should be good there. I haven't left the battery tender off of it overnight, but I am sure it will be fine.

If you have a volt meter, you could try leaving it unplugged (when you don't plan on riding) and see if you're losing voltage. Keep trying longer periods and you'll find how often you need to use the Tender.

Back