Basket Case Progress

Well??!!!
How'd she do?
Looks great.
Troy
Was almost out of the driveway and got a call for work so I dropped everything but the bike ha ha
Thought it would only take a couple hours but came back & the day was over so I’ll start all over again tomorrow. This is the first place that will know how well it went the first ride
:beerchug::beerchug:

Shifter touching kickstand bolt so I’m going to shear a corner off. Something I wasn’t even aware of until I started to put it in gear try to find neutral and take off just barely touching it but enough to make it bind and not move nice and free
image.jpg

This pic scares me(not just the man-eater in the door), the bars turned to the right.
I hope you have or will do a kickstand mod, even with the shorter stand.
The stock stands don't swing much further past vertical. In neutral, (or if you haven't rolled it a couple inches in gear, to get the slack out) the stand can fold and down goes the bike.
Myself and many learned that the hard way.
Congrats on a great job, and I hope you enjoy the ride.

This pic scares me(not just the man-eater in the door), the bars turned to the right.
I hope you have or will do a kickstand mod, even with the shorter stand.
The stock stands don't swing much further past vertical. In neutral, (or if you haven't rolled it a couple inches in gear, to get the slack out) the stand can fold and down goes the bike.
Myself and many learned that the hard way.
Congrats on a great job, and I hope you enjoy the ride.
thanks for the warning. I have noticed this when working on the bike the past nine months and I don’t like it
so I just keep a conscious reminder to myself, but one of these days I’ll probably forget
I’ve been thinking about it but haven’t come up with anything yet
is there a link to a mod or should I probably just search it?

thanks for the warning. I have noticed this when working on the bike the past nine months and I don’t like it
so I just keep a conscious reminder to myself, but one of these days I’ll probably forget
I’ve been thinking about it but haven’t come up with anything yet
is there a link to a mod or should I probably just search it?

Yes, there is a thread somewhere.
Easy fix, dremel or grinder, remove small amount of metal, and it gives room for the stand to swing further forward.
I'll say RedBull's name here...and he'll be along with a link and/or video.

Instead of shearing the cap Head bolt I bought a grade 8 bolt 12×125 and just cut it and cleaned up the threads this gives me just enough room to shift without a bind I could’ve done a shifter adjustment but I didn’t like the way it sat
it was kind a like a cruiser and I know that wouldn’t be comfortable
image.jpg

I just noticed that you mentioned having the bars turned to the right. Yeah I was checking the pins on the inner faring to make sure that they were still in place I would never park it like that ha ha on a regular

image.jpg
Plenty of room now but I don’t know why it would touch in the first place it’s not like whoever put this aftermarket kickstand on previously could really screw up by putting it directly back onto its original mounting point. And the shifting rod doesn’t appear to be bent whatsoever
image.jpg
image.jpg

OK, so first ride was a bit interesting at first the linkage/gearing had been switched around so it was one up five down
after that had been figured out in about 30 seconds it was unreal
I couldn’t be more stoked.
Notice the test pilot hat/helmet on the clutch side mirror... ha ha, I knew I would keep it under 100 and not be on the freeway.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi Reiecco , is your bike reversed shift pattern ? I ask this because the shift arm is underslung , not over like I run with Gilles rearsets . I like the race pattern shift for my bung foot , so thinking this may eventuate when I fit quick shifter . Also Schnitz racing have a side stand switch eliminater part # HAY1034 for US $20.00 , to suit all years Busa up to '16 , by packet info . This gets rid of stock pin push set up completely . :thumbsup:

Hi Reiecco , is your bike reversed shift pattern ? I ask this because the shift arm is underslung , not over like I run with Gilles rearsets . I like the race pattern shift for my bung foot , so thinking this may eventuate when I fit quick shifter . Also Schnitz racing have a side stand switch eliminater part # HAY1034 for US $20.00 , to suit all years Busa up to '16 , by packet info . This gets rid of stock pin push set up completely . :thumbsup:
Yeah it must be flipped around. When I PM’D you I needed a reference point but of course people have lives to live right ha ha... I think I got lucky this way because I’m not that tall but have size 12 feet and this shifting pattern works perfect for me. Thanks for the tip on the eliminator I really want to do that, so with the part number that is an immense hook up. thanks very much bro, and hope you feel better .

Got her Insured ( apparently I was riding dirty first day out) so I had to make a license plate bracket and I just attached it up top for the time being
image.jpg

I just wanted to thank everybody that shown interest in my extended thread to say the least. I know this isn’t everybody’s cup of tea in the way of cosmetics and whatever. But, it was a pretty large learning curve for me as I had to make do with what I had in a lot of ways.
I’ve been building cruisers off @ on since I was 15, but Asian bikes are definitely a much tighter tolerance. I have owned over 15 Asian Motorcycles and I am now 42. I owned the very first year of the Hayabusa that went down in the record books as being the fastest production bike in the world. Ever since I sold it, I’ve always wanted another one.
Over the past months I’ve gotten to know this bike again and again and then when I went to go put it in gear I got to know it again ha ha.
Obviously, if I didn’t have to work for a living this would’ve been done in probably two months. I did not post everything on this thread for you all, a lot of it was just for me. A timeline of the work that I’ve executed and enjoyed.
Hayabusa.org is an amazing website and I think I will become a contributing member. Because, I’ve gotten back so much than what I have given. Plus, I have met some really cool people along the way. I have inquiries about other things that I will post in a separate category. Peace out!

I don't really like strecthed bikes, they just aren't my thing. But, who cares, and not even me. I enjoyed watching it come back together.
I've got a lot of years doing the same, and can respect and appreciate the time and effort.
Your thread will help the next guy too.
Congrats on making what You wanted.

Back