Base for my solar panels.

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
My dad and I built the base for my new solar panels this weekend. I wanted to get them up high to keep rocks and dirt from the lawn mower off so I decided to just make the bottom functional. We are going to put a hammock under there and a small reading area... We will put some railing around it and maybe put stone pavers or concrete later... Should be shady all the time..... Getting closer....

solar1.jpg

solar1.jpg

Neato. Don't they need to pivot in order to follow the sun?
I only ask cuz the ones I saw at my dads house overseas did that.

Negative, what do you think folks do that have them mounted on the roof of their house?

Solar energy can be captured even when its cloudy out.Its grabs energy right outa the air.No need for them to move. :thumbsup:

RSD.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your whole renewable energy project completed. Very good stuff indeed!

I don't know how much generation you're expecting between the solar and wind, but are you looking for enough to be able to go off-grid? That would be really cool. :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to seeing your whole renewable energy project completed. Very good stuff indeed!

I don't know how much generation you're expecting between the solar and wind, but are you looking for enough to be able to go off-grid? That would be really cool. :thumbsup:

I know already that I will not be making enough to go completely off grid but I will be putting a huge dent in the electric bill. Once I monitor the savings for a few months then I can decide next steps. I have built this project out in such a way that I can continually expand as needed and build on what I already have installed...

very nice! your place is going to look like this year round :laugh:

IMG_7771.jpg

are there any concerns about lightning strikes? If so what have you done to help mitigate those issues?

Looks good, I hope to be in a spot in the not too distant future to do something similar :thumbsup:

are there any concerns about lightning strikes? If so what have you done to help mitigate those issues?

Looks good, I hope to be in a spot in the not too distant future to do something similar :thumbsup:

Well just like everything else you make sure that you have good earth ground.. To protect the equipment I have added a lightning arrestor into the system, if lightning hits directly there isnt anything going to make it all good. Thats like saying that the 10.00 surge protector is going to stop the 200 million amps coming in from the strike... I have completed the best practices to minimize the damage but nothing is completely safe..

Back