Bar-ends....

BusaCruise

speachless
Donating Member
Registered
OK ...I WAS going to replace my grips yesterday...however I cannot seem to get the screws on the bar-ends to budge.
I did use an imact tool with the correct size phillips bit....still a no-go.
Any tips?

I am thinking I may take them to the dealer and let them "loosen them" for me when I take it in for a "safety check". That way if they break or something...THEY can cover the costs.

#3 phillips bit and twist the bar end at the same time you are turning the screw. They are a real bugger.
AAAssjani.gif

One of those "impact" screw drivers works well on those, the kind you tap with a hammer and it turns the screw whem you you hit it.

They definitely were a pain in the arse to remove. I just ended up using a pair of channel locks, since I didn't plan on keeping them anyway.

Just use a good rubber jar opener from the kitchen, wrap it around the bar and just twist the bar-end, once you break the tension the screw will just twist out by hand.

Worked for me anyways.
wink.gif

thanks guys....but 3 of you suggested something I said that I had already used.
rock.gif

well...until I can swing the throttlemiester....the stockers will have to stay remain...so I can't mess them up.
I just want to install my new grips so that my hand will relax a bit.
wink.gif

I'll work on it more this weekend....have to try the "twisting" action as well next time.

thanks again tho...
BC

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123556101 -->

well .. if yah dont want to ..keep the gripends.. try a "pipewrench" ...or goto Searsâ„¢ and in the toolz dept .. find a oilfilter removel item ..that is a rubberstrap connected to a plastic handle .. ( i forgot the name of it ) .. but , I use it to tighten up the forks so I dont ..scratch them . ... or try a Impact driver +3
laugh.gif

thanks guys....but 3 of you suggested something I said that I had already used.  
rock.gif

well...until I can swing the throttlemiester....the stockers will have to stay remain...so I can't mess them up.
I just want to install my new grips so that my hand will relax a bit.  
wink.gif

I'll work on it more this weekend....have to try the "twisting" action as well next time.

thanks again tho...
BC
Impact, and whack the crap out of it with a hammer. With an impact, if you hit it hard enough, either the screw is going to let go or the head will break off the screw.

turn it with ya hand,lol thats how i done mine,only to find out the new ones i got didnt fit so i had to put the old ones back on
sad.gif

I locked my vice grips to the handle of my screwdriver. Then leaned into it and turned the screwdriver with the vice grips.

Insert a stick of dynamite in the steering stem hole, light it then tape over it with 300 mph duct tape so when it explodes the force blows the bar ends off.
OR
Do as others suggest and simply twist the bar end itself to the left and break it loose that way. Either method will work, One is just a little louder than the other
cool.gif

OK OK, I just got done a couple of weeks ago with my Helibars instal and I have THE tool for bar end removal...

Craftsman Strapwrench. No Kidding, dead simple and no risk of scratching your baby or Impact anything.
wink.gif

Simply snug it up around the bar end and go counterclockwise. Worked like a champ, dead simple, no fus-no muss!

Back