Bar End Weights Removal

Mythos

Registered
Bar End Weights Removal

This is a pretty simple procedure but to tell you the truth, I had the plastic plugs in the bar ends for 2 years and I had no idea how I was supposed to get at the screws underneath! Oh well, this is for anyone who is first time DIY wrencher and also, there is some valuable weight reduction info included here.

You may want to remove your bar end weights to install aftermarket bar ends or to replace the bar end after a crash. I removed mine to reduce weight. I installed a bar end mirror on the left side and a bar end mirror adapter as a bar end protector on the right. I’ve noticed no reduction in handling or comfort without the OEM bar ends.

Tools:
straight slot micro screwdriver
tape
5mm hex tool
nonpermanent thread locking agent

Removal

1. Use a straight slot micro screwdriver to pry the plastic plug from each bar end
weight. I applied tape to prevent scratching the finish.
rmvplug.jpg

2. Remove the bar end weight bolt using a 5mm hex tool. Remove the bar end weight.
rmvbrndwght.jpg

Installation
3. Installation is the reverse procedure. Use nonpermanent thread locking agent on the bolts.

The OEM bar end weights weigh over a pound and a half. There are aftermarket bar ends that weigh far less.
brendswght.jpg

Just an FYI here the Bar ends are weighted for a reason, to keep the vibration from your hands. Where you remove them expect more vibration.

Good way to save some weight, but like John said, great for the drag strip, not so good for the street. There's a balancing weight on the crank a lot of drag racers remove for the same reasons.

Just an FYI here the Bar ends are weighted for a reason, to keep the vibration from your hands. Where you remove them expect more vibration.

+100 I still regret not getting the heavier version of Throttlemeisters instead of the standard:banghead:

Good way to save some weight, but like John said, great for the drag strip, not so good for the street. There's a balancing weight on the crank a lot of drag racers remove for the same reasons.

So I've heard but AFAIC, the bar ends do not make one iota of dif in comfort....but may just be me and ,my tough hands!. I must admit that I am one inclined to mod a street bike as much as possible into a race bike and to many this is impractical. To me, all a part of the fun! Thanks for inputs. Would be a very easy mod to reverse if any owner does not like. No reason the bike could not be ridden a while with nothing on the bar ends to see how the vibes hit.

Interesting comment on the crankshaft balancers. Someday if I get in there I will probably remove that. On some bikes I hear that mod requires an aftermarket part for proper oil flow so the weight reduction is not so much as you might think.

Also, if the screw is tight, grap the bar end itself and twist as you turn the screw and it will come right off.

I got some great bar ends from HVMP. Great quality bar ends and they come from a small shop. They have nice weight to them and look great. One flaw is they don't have cruise control

I did it for the weight loss. I noticed a difference in vibration so I got better grips that were part Gel and now it isn't so bad. Good gloves help as well.

Back