Bad vibrations

Revvin Kevvin

Registered
I have a 2010 busa with a vibration problem that is putting me off riding the bike. Round town the only way to get round this is to be in fourth, the only real sweet spot seems to be between in sixth 70-80mph, take it over 80 and it feels like it is grating. Vibes are through the seat and into the right foot peg. Had the 4000 mile device recently and the dealer thought the problem was the connector pipe on the vance and Hines pipe ( you could rotate it). Fixed this with Beowulf pipes I was already planning to fit but problem remains. Had a ZZR1400 before that was turbine smooth well past 100, really p****d at this problem - have seen I thread on motorcylenews UK that suggests a broken engine mount may be the problem; gut concerned found that, replaced the bolt and hey presto problem solved. Off to the dealer for me - anyone else heard of / having a similar problem?

I don't have any first-hand experience in a bad mount or bolt, but I did see a post in the portal yesterday of a guy with an '09 that pulled out a bad mounting bolt that looked like it'd been through hell and back. I have a K8, and I'm hoping that this doesn't become a Gen 2 issue...

:welcome: to the board...sorry, i don't have experience with the Gen II's but there shouldn't be any vibration at high speeds...in fact, the Gen I gets smoother as the speed goes up and friends with Gen II's say the same thing...hope you are able to figure it out soon so you can get back to enjoying the ride :beerchug:

Thanks for the comments - have tried riding round this for a week or so; odd oscillating 'grinding' feeling again at 80+, no more riding this thing until the dealer has given it a good going over. Have just read a thread about wheel balancing (i.e. or not) being the cause, will check that out. Will let you know the outcome - interestingly the guy who used to own my local dealership reckons that the balance shaft can be adjusted on the busa but few people know this (he should know he run a very tasty turbocharged version in some speed record attempts).

Check the wheels and tires...out of balance, or maybe a bad tire.
Posted via Mobile Device

Got it back form the dealer today - verdict, its just being a busa they are like that! They did comment that changing the cans can make it feel worse, maybe the oem cans are so heavy to act as a counterweight just like bar ends. Will stick em back on and see if this makes things better but can't live with keeping them they are too ugly. Off to France in a couple of weeks, maybe a good run will loosen things up; if not another ZZR1400 beckons.

Update - tires are balanced. Experimented with putting original pipes on, no real difference but felt oddly smoother up to 3000revs. The decided to take off the rack for the topbox and hey presto no more vibes through the seat and only buzzing through the pegs when ridden hard. Ye ha.

Put the rack back on the next day, real **** to to fit on one side so lined up and tightened each screw very slowly to pull into place. Still ok, so looks like an issue with tension from the rack when originally fitted. Off to Le Mans in France in next week for Moto GP so good run to test it out - really looking forward to that.:thumbsup:

Revvin Kevin, which rack are you using? I have a rentec rack with a cheap 30 litre box on the back. Have had no issues with vibration?

Back