Bad situation, needing some advice

DeRos

Registered
So I got pulled over today for speeding 50 in a 35, plus I got ticketed for not having my endorsement. here's the situation I need some advice.

I was less than one mile away from my house practicing on some minor twisties, one of the lanes was closed because of construction, I had a car behind me and beside me and I had to merge into the other lane, well in order to do that I had to gun it from 35 to 50 to get in front of the guy besides me it was at that moment that the cop clocked me at 50 I immediately slowed down and he acknowledge that when he was talking to me, after he check my license he noticed I didnt have an endorsement for the motorcycle, which I've only had the bike for a month and a half so as a result he had the bike towed (which was parked accross the street from my house where he pulled me over) cost me $175 to get it out of the impound, then he ticketed me $142 for doing 15mph over and $245 for not having my endorsement.

i had a good mile on him before he turned on his lights I could have gunned it and been gone before he could have gotten my info and it's situations like this that encourage me to want to do that next time... do you guys have any advice on how I can fight any of this?

ticket.gif

I made sure I got my motorcycle endorsement asap. But I can't rag on you for that because I rode my bike home from the dealership with no motorcycle license or motorcycle insurance just to get the bike home. I took a chance and was lucky. But... after 1 1/2 months, you should have your cycle license by now. You've been taking a chance and you weren't so lucky.

So... you need to get your cycle license NOW! And make sure you have insurance. If/when you have a court date, plead no contest and most judges will just let you off the hook if you show that you've corrected your mistake. I was nailed in CA several years ago without my license/ins card (wallet was stolen) and when I showed up to court, the charges were dropped. I just had to pay the court fee.

I wish you luck!

get your endorsement, go to court, explain it to the judge. Sometimes judges are understanding or you can pay a traffic attorney and they can get it dropped for you.

I had no idea you could take a bike home from the stealership without a Liscense or INS. +1 on what others have said, get your liscense and work that into your defense - with a lawyer...

I had no idea you could take a bike home from the stealership without a Liscense or INS.  +1 on what others have said, get your liscense and work that into your defense - with a lawyer...
My dealer never asked any questions. Buying my bike was a snap. Just signed a few papers and voila! They left it outside and I just hopped on... lol! But after getting the bike home I never rode it til I made myself legal. I got my endorsement and insurance the next business day.

Every day on my busa I'm risking a court date... because there's no way to keep it under 90! Every ride I must at least feel that rush once.

Sounds like you made the cops day, I wonder how many people he told the story to.

3 tickets and had his bike towed from across the street from his house, who is buying the donuts.

That bites

You are gonna have trouble getting the ticket dropped for not being properly licensed. Really no excuse to not having your license in my opinion. Good luck, i believe you'll need it. I would get licensed ASAP

As far as getting your motorcycle endorsement. I have a friend that has been riding with out one for over 20 years. Has only gotten one ticket for it. Most officers won't bother you unless you are doin something stupid.

Whatta you mean no endorsment?
rock.gif
Do you even have a permit or has it run out or what? I dont understand this...

From the looks of that sign, you had to merge ... so the Judge asks "Why didn't you slow down and merge, instead of speeding up and merging?" That is, probably after he asks you why you don't have the proper license. You really need a lawyer to bargain you down on this one.

Yep, get your endorsement and get a lawyer. Based on your picture, the cop had an un-obstructed view of the area that you were in. He was able to satisfy all three requirements of radar operation. 1) observe and estimate the vehicle speed by sight, 2) confirm estimated speed with the radr unit, and 3) identify the vehicle and driver. He was in a pretty sweet spot. The no endorsement thing was just adding salt to the wound. He has a pretty tight case bro. I used to be a cop:). The only thing you can do is challenge him on whether he tested his radr unit that day. Most states require officers to check their radars with tuning forks at least twice a day (before shift and after). But that is a long shot and really does not alter the fact that you broke the law. Oh well, it happens. I think it sucks that he towed your ride though. I have let guys go with their bikes because I knew that the tow truck would damage the bike. But I am not a cop anymore.:cool:

Well I know it's stupid not to have that endorsement but the damn thing cost $90 and Im recently self employed, trying to get a business off the ground so I have $0 extra money and now if I have to pay this ticket i am really screwed unless there's a miracle, I may have to bail on my business I know it sounds silly being so tight but anyone whose self employed knows its either feast or famine and right now Im in the famine stage bustin butte, I was riding my bike to save gas money crazy huh,

hey if anyone feels like investing in a business I have several great ideas... Im currently moving on the one I can make a living at starting with $0 but with investors I have several great plans going... anyway Im not so mad any more whats done is done, hopefully I'll get most of the stuff dropped or reduced with some preparation for court. I even left a nice comment card for the poilce lady who gave me my impound release form because the guys before me in line were real jerks to her... k ive ranted enough, thanks for the input guys I'll get to work seeing what I can do.

Get your endorsement, when you go to court they will probably combine the cost and you pay the larger of the three. Either way that $90.00 endorsment woulda been cheaper.

Not sure about your state, but here i Fl you could have been arrested for that. Its up to the officer weather he wants to arrest you or just give you a court date. As pearl said, he looks to have a pretty tight case, and here in Fl the judges will usually side with the officer unless the radar wasnt checked or something like that.

Your fines are not that bad.

And you do NOT want to make a cop show up to court to squabble over a speeding ticket, especially since you were caught without a cycle license. You should be able to get it all dropped if you show up to court with proof of your cycle license and proof of insurance... and plead no contest. Judges like honesty and the fact that you corrected yourself. And when you go to court, bring in your registration too. Bring it all. I'll bet the charges get dropped and you'll just have to pay the court fee.

And when you show up to court, it will probably take all of one minute in front of the judge...

... been there, done that.

Back