Bad day @ work ? Lets hear them .

My worst day at work? Certain demons shouldnt be released in the wild.
absolutely.... I have 3 or 4 stories that I cannot ever tell.... sometimes IPC skills don't work, sometimes a person just wants to harm another person.... like I say… watch hands and feet.

Good to hear your real world view. I’ve got a trucker buddy who has a bit of a road rage issue. I tell him he may run into the wrong person some day and it will go badly for him.
Last year I cut a trucker off ( by accident ) at a four way stop intersection . He had his right turn signal on to turn right . He was first at intersection . I was second . He started to roll , and the wheels looked like they were turning right . I went straight at same time cutting him off because he was actually going straight into business
park to deliver granite off his flat bed . I got the Air horn , and finger after finger with yelling out window .
Now keep in mind we were never actually close to hitting each other due to his 1st gear loaded slow start .
I was going to same business park for fire alarm service but one drive way down , and they all connect .
Now my tail was already tucked for screwing up . I parked in the lot 50 yards from him , and got out of my van , and waved at him ( not the middle finger ) He jumped out of his truck , and charged me . I was still calm as he got close , and attempted to explain his turn signal was left on , and caused me to have a false reading on his direction. He yelled / cussed me up , and down . Last words were as he decided to put his hands on me ( bitch white boy ) This man / trucker received one of my best cans of a@s whooping ever .
Some women came to stop me saying they saw it all , and it wasnt worth it . I asked them to call the sheriffs dept while I now kept him pined pretzel style on the concrete . He begged me to let him go . he would lose his job . Watching him bleed , and beg I said something I cant even remember as was quite mad at this point .
I let him up . He left without delivering his load . I hung around , and did my service call waiting on Sheriffs dept to show , but they never did .
He was a Hispanic man who spoke perfect no accent English . Not big just avg at all maybe 5' 7 " or 8" about 180 to 190 pounds

a HUGE concern that we deal with with any use of force is bloodborne pathogens.... hep C/HIV/ TB.... whatever.... sometimes certain folks will urinate and deficate in a cup and try to throw it in our faces...…. gross stuff.... but it remains a problem... and any time fists are thrown, bloodborne pathogens are the biggest concern... there is still controversy as to whether the inmate has an Obligation to release his HIV status to us..... the actual fight is the least of our worries..... its the aftermath.... and if I can de-escelate i will.... MUCH much prefer talking somedown than having to spend 2 hours going through the use-of-force process...… and waiting to see if I have HIV.

Last edited:
Last year I cut a trucker off ( by accident ) at a four way stop intersection . He had his right turn signal on to turn right . He was first at intersection . I was second . He started to roll , and the wheels looked like they were turning right . I went straight at same time cutting him off because he was actually going straight into business
park to deliver granite off his flat bed . I got the Air horn , and finger after finger with yelling out window .
Now keep in mind we were never actually close to hitting each other due to his 1st gear loaded slow start .
I was going to same business park for fire alarm service but one drive way down , and they all connect .
Now my tail was already tucked for screwing up . I parked in the lot 50 yards from him , and got out of my van , and waved at him ( not the middle finger ) He jumped out of his truck , and charged me . I was still calm as he got close , and attempted to explain his turn signal was left on , and caused me to have a false reading on his direction. He yelled / cussed me up , and down . Last words were as he decided to put his hands on me ( bitch white boy ) This man / trucker received one of my best cans of a@s whooping ever .
Some women came to stop me saying they saw it all , and it wasnt worth it . I asked them to call the sheriffs dept while I now kept him pined pretzel style on the concrete . He begged me to let him go . he would lose his job . Watching him bleed , and beg I said something I cant even remember as was quite mad at this point .
I let him up . He left without delivering his load . I hung around , and did my service call waiting on Sheriffs dept to show , but they never did .
He was a Hispanic man who spoke perfect no accent English . Not big just avg at all maybe 5' 7 " or 8" about 180 to 190 pounds
Sounds like that guy should have taken a deep breath! Sometimes I’m on the road for three weeks and I get pretty edgy- that means it’s time to get home and unwind. Day in and day out dealing with traffic can get to a person. I put my signal on and it’s like that means “hey, you better pass me quick!”. Sounds like you did your best to de-escalate the situation, the guy should’ve realized it’s just another day at work and shook your hand.

a HUGE concern that we deal with with any use of force is bloodborne pathogens.... hep C/HIV/ TB.... whatever.... sometimes certain folks will urinate and deficate in a cup and try to throw it in our faces...…. gross stuff.... but it remains a problem... and any time fists are thrown, bloodborne pathogens are the biggest concern... there is still controversy as to whether the inmate has an Obligation to release his HIV status to us..... the actual fight is the least of our worries..... its the aftermath.... and if I can de-escelate i will.... MUCH much prefer talking somedown than having to spend 2 hours going through the use-of-force process...… and waiting to see if I have HIV.
No wonder you need a turbo, probably help’s blow things out of your mind! Hopefully you don’t get too jaded about society in general.

Found a newborn baby in a plastic grocery bag tied off and thrown into the woods last week. Baby was still alive.

That was one of the things which is both hard to hear and I'd imagine hard to deal with.

You were an active service medic correct? I saw what they had to deal with up close and personal and that is what horror movies are made of.

Wowzers well I will say this, Im sorry to hear about someone being an @$$! Especially to you. You are direct and genuine I am surprised he lashed out at you. Also I would certainly be intimidated by Bryan’s stature it I was that guy. He surely was mistaken. But then again I may be tall but I am like a string bean. Bryan is like a damn ox.
So my worst day?
I am not necessarily entitled to have bad days because of my position. One certainly comes to mind though, when the other partner was part of the business and we figured it out that he was running another business in parallel and stealing from the company. Rather than take it like a mature adult he declared half the shop was his and began taking off with things. By the time we stopped him we lost 65 % of our shop tools and 2 of our 3 heavy duty truck lifts.
It set the stage for a very rough 3-4 months with the owners and myself working hard and giving our all to keep the business moving. During that time I was named director and began overseeing the entire operation. We are still not out of the Woods yet but we have made progress and I remind myself everyday that as bad as my day can be it’s never as bad as that one day.

Not remotely close.
I tried telling her the world was an ugly, callous place before she took the position. She knows now.....
The things that people will do to other humans will make your skin crawl and cause nightmares. Some things cannot be unseen or unheard. I will never forget the visit she received at dinnertime one evening from one of her staff in tears. A 5 year old child who she had to move didn't want to go to a different foster home and offered the worker oral sexual favors in exchange for not having to go. This little girl thought that offering a blow job to an adult was the way to gain favor. What kind of life did that poor child have up to that point in order for that to be her go to? The worker put her notice in the next day.
The amount of ongoing child sexual abuse in this country is absolutely staggering.

No wonder you need a turbo, probably help’s blow things out of your mind! Hopefully you don’t get too jaded about society in general.
I had a friend pass away at 47 yrs old recently.... I think it was stress that contributed greatly to his death(doctors say it was a heart attack)… but I just try to compartmentalize and walk away from the petty little beefs and grudges that we deal with every day...… like I say.... it isn't the fighting and arguing that I worry about anymore... its the other things... (diseases and life expectancy)….

I tried telling her the world was an ugly, callous place before she took the position. She knows now.....
The things that people will do to other humans will make your skin crawl and cause nightmares. Some things cannot be unseen or unheard. I will never forget the visit she received at dinnertime one evening from one of her staff in tears. A 5 year old child who she had to move didn't want to go to a different foster home and offered the worker oral sexual favors in exchange for not having to go. This little girl thought that offering a blow job to an adult was the way to gain favor. What kind of life did that poor child have up to that point in order for that to be her go to? The worker put her notice in the next day.
The amount of ongoing child sexual abuse in this country is absolutely staggering.

It is at an alarming high right now. Atlanta is a hub for child sex trafficking too.

Just for a little insight to my bad days, these are calls ranked from most recent to oldest. These are all in the last week:

1. 17 year old suicide.
2. 22 year old suicide.
3. 30s drug overdose cardiac arrest.
4. 20s construction worker fell from a two story house
5. 30s construction worker who died from injuries related to a concrete drainage tunnel falling on him.
6. 80s grandpa telling his wife he will be home soon.
7. Baby found discarded in woods.
8. Pedestrian run over my motorcycle. Motorcycle rider apprehended two counties over.
9. Dump truck driver turned to sharply, flipped, ejected, and dragged under his sliding truck.
10. Dump truck vs garbage truck. Triple fatal.
11. Motorcyclist dragged under a Range Rover driven by a drunk doctor.

That list doesnt include the numerous overdoses and cardiac calls I run routinely.
That's quite a bit to carry around with you...

My dad was an Ambulance Attendant before there were Paramedics, he used to have to orderly work in the hospital when he wasn't on ambulance calls. He did that 35 years after he left the armored corps.

The stories he'd bring home are the things of nightmares and never once did he or any of his co-workers get any counselling for trauma...he used to bury his woes in the bottom of a whiskey bottle.

My hat is definately off to you and your profession. I saw what the medics did in Afghanistan under fire and I'll tell you they were/are some of the bravest people I ever knew.

Im glad i dont live in the US....not saying NZ is perfect by any means but the amount of varied stuff getting mentioned here is frightening.

Reactions: c10
Well today was better. Got this out of the blue.
Last reply in blue was me.

Screenshot_20190621-160807.png

Screenshot_20190621-160758.png

Back