Backfire

dl6996

Registered
I have an 02 that is completely stock. I have been noticing some backfire when I'm cruising at a steady RPM and then decelerating. It started out as every once in a while, but now it's starting to get more frequent. Aftermarket pipes aren't going on until next year(wifey's orders...lol). Is there anything I can do until then? I'm running supreme pump gas and Mobil 1 syn. Any suggestions would be great.

Wayne

My '03 does the same thing I think you can get a Power Commander and fix that, besides you can tell your wife that your going to need one with the new pipes anyway so you might as well buy it now
wink.gif

-Eric

Check your intake and exhaust valve/tappet clearances and adjust to spec. Manual calls for 8000 mile inspect. Also look at your plugs, they need inspection at 10,000. Replace with hotter plug may help ?

I have an 02 that is completely stock.  I have been noticing some backfire when I'm cruising at a steady RPM and then decelerating.  It started out as every once in a while, but now it's starting to get more frequent.  Aftermarket pipes aren't going on until next year(wifey's orders...lol).  Is there anything I can do until then?  I'm running supreme pump gas and Mobil 1 syn.  Any suggestions would be great.

Wayne
Bro I had the same problem on my '99. Here is what I did.

First, installed PC2, did not fix problem.

Went to Veltune.com and ordered a set of PAIR block off plates, and installed them per the simple instructions.

Problem solved.

Price around $50.

Tom will take care of ya if you need any help. And you will need them if you buy a full exhaust next year. As a matter of fact, just tell the wife its your exhaust system and you need a new one, then go ahead and buy the exhaust of your choice... (sounds like good advice to me)
smile.gif

-Bill

Removing Pair valves most likely will clear that up.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089118519 -->

Thanx for all the info. My wife got a kick out of the responses and she says to pass on the quote..."bite me"...lol. I'll order the plates though and goto the lower octane. Love the board and the guys here. Thanx again.

my o2 has been backfiring on real hard decels since day one .14 k later runs like a dream but still does the pop now and then!my problem is bike runs to perfect for me to put any pipe or other mods on it!

Through the pipe is an afterfire or afterburn. Through the intake is a backfire. I bring it up not to be an ass, but in case you end up talking to a tech in a shop.

Back