Backfire through intake and no start

Ziptie

Registered
Just bought a k1 basket case thought everything was gonna fire right up after I got the vacuum lines figured out(thanks for the help guys). But after I got the lines done I was gonna give it a test fire and low and behold more problems. I tried to fire her up and it has a really bad back fire through the throttle bodies. It is getting good spark and fuel so I'm at a loss on what it could be.any help would be great

Thanks,Allen

**edit I just got it to fire up for a few seconds but would not idle and ran really rough popping through the intake and exhaust. It is a stock bike with just a two bros exhaust.

Last edited:
1 and 2 plug wires swapped?
16 bit and 32 bit ignition parts mixed? It this the original engine in a 01 chassis?
Was the engine itself apart (cam timing)
Any FI codes?

That's what I thought at first but after checking the plug wires are right and I lined up the timing marks and checked for tdc and all was well. I'm gonna try some new plugs tomorrow and see if that helps any. Any other ideas anyone

Engine was all together when purchased. No fi codes. How do I tell the difference between 16 and 32 bit ignitions

I would guess as others have... plug wires crossed or timming is off. The other option would be that there's something mechanicaly wrong with the engine and needs to be torn down.

backfire through the intake side indicates that you are getting spark while the intake valve is open. firing order, cam timing, bent valve, these are typically the things that you would look for. so, youve checked firing order, and cam timing, how about a compression check? and one other thought is the "trigger" assembly for the spark timing. i am not sure how the busa gets its spark trigger, but in automotive a faulty ignition module can send errant spark signals to the coils.

Last edited:
Ok well I switched the #1 and the #4 coil to see if the code changed from c24 to c27 and the this time I got no codes and the bike still ran like crap. Does anyone know the exact procedure for checking the cam timing.

Well I just got the valve cover off and at tdc the intake cam has the #1 arrow pointing strait up and on the exhaust cam the #3 arrow inline with the head surface. Every thing that I hav found on the cam timing states that on the intake cam the #3 arrow should be strait up and on the exhaust cam the #1 should be inline with the head surface. But I just need to know for sure which way it is supposed to be before I start tearing into it.

Well the timing is right so I guess it's down to syncing tb's and possibly ecu. when it is running it is really rough and seems to be running really rich. Any other possible reasons for this I might be missing

hi,

from the manual here is a couple of tests. one for voltage, and one for resistance.

ckp_vltge.png

ckp_resistance.png

I think I might have just figured out my problem. I took my stator cover off to look at the rotor and I notice it has a 32bit ignition hub so that gets me thinking I wonder if the ecu is the right one. So went out and got the numbers off it and sure enough the ecu on it is for a 2001 and not the one for a 02-07 that is needed for the 32bit ignition. So I gotta find the right ecu and see it it fixes it.

Back