Backfire, any ideas?

I have just had the cam-chain tension fixed. This was great because I was getting a little cam chain chatter, and now the bike is nice and quiet.

Since this change, the bike is now backfiring occasionally. It happens most when a take a gear to a high RPM and then throttle off suddenly. Then you hear a "pop".

Does anyone have an idea where I should look at first?

Deadly I don't mean to sound churlish here but search the word "backfire" and you'll get some very useful information on your problem.

This same situation is happening regularly.

I LOVE YOU BUT WE HAVE A SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS SITE!

Check all the hoses that go to the Airbox,you either got a loose or disconnected hose,second check any electrical connections to the various sensors on the airbox and also the spark plug wirers for proper connections.Good Luck

Sorry for the venting. To be more helpful on the subject some Busa setups will always backfire on trailing throttle under certain conditions no matter what you do. Some detonations may sound gawd awful but I have been reassured by my tuner that a) this is not necessarily a sign of tuning problems and b) since the engine is not under high compressive loads the detonations will not damage anything in the combustion chambers.

So if you like scaring old ladies and house pets, don't fix the problem!

Thanks DP, I don't mind scaring old ladies and small pets, as long as it is accompanied by a 3ft flame.

I did do the search, and you where right. There where some posts that might help. There are some vacuum pipes from the airbox, called a PAIR that can be blocked off. I really do like a nice PAIR, so I think I will get my hands on them tonight.

Back