Back Up Generator

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
I have finally wired my house up to accept a 30 Amp, 4 prong generator. I have seen one of the generators in the link/picture below and was pretty impressed. It has electric start up for my wife, not too big/heavy, has an attached handle and a decent power output.

I was originally going to get a gasoline or diesel generator, but was concerned about storing it for long periods of time. The LP/propane generator does not share the same issues that a diesel/gasoline generator may have if stored for a year or more without running.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this or a similar generator that runs on LP/propane gas?

Amazon.com: Sportsman GEN7000LP 7000-Watt 13 HP OHV Propane Powered Portable Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden

81bnw0W4F%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

make sure that the running watts are enough to run the heater or a/c plus the frig and freezers. 5k watts will not run the heater if you need it. 8k-10k running watts will run just about every thing in the house.

Warp10, I agree with you but I cannot find anything larger than a 6000 watt running wattage LP generator. If/when we need to use the generator, it will not be for the heat pumps as we live in GA and have 2 fire places in the home for heating if needed.

I am mainly concerned about the fridge, freezer, well water pump, some lights, oven, things of that nature.

I bought a whole house 15K. The installation cost as much as the unit. However, it does a weekly self starting test and run. I also installed an underground 500 gal. propane tank. If it has to run at full capacity for 24/7, it can go for 3 weeks on that 500 gallons. If it is running at 75% load, it can go a month. Of course you can turn it off and extend these timelines. It can run everything in the house at once if needed. I will never forget the aftermath of the hurricanes that left us without power, hence no A/C in 90 degree weather for 3 weeks. It was worse than the storm itself.

Once installed there are zero concerns and its seamless operation when the power goes off. Definitely a thumbs up if you can spring to do it all up right.

Back