Back Pain

NO CHIROPRATIC with a herniated disc.  It won't help, and it can make the pain much worse if the disc is touching the spinal cord.
+1000
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

cheers
ken

thumb_up.gif

guns.gif
back pain is a bummer. It would be great to meet you at the MnG, but the important thing is to get well. hang in there.

Sorry to hear of your back pain. Definitely go see a Physical therapist or Chiropractor. I had a "bulging" (not sure if that is the same as herniated" disc) in the same area. NOT FUN. Glad you have such a great doc to give you meds for the pain. The physical therapist started me out with a few light exercises just for the back and after each appointment she would put these pulsing massage pads on my lower back. I literally would fall asleep on the table. It felt so good to have just those few minutes of relief from the pain. After about a month I went to a chiropractor and he put me on a Spinal decompression table. They strap you down and let the computerized table "gently" stretch you by contracting and elongating the table you are on. It didn't hurt a bit and the next day, I had no pain what so ever. Been great ever since. I have had a few minor occasions of back pain, but I just start up my back exercises and it is gone within a day or two. Probably wouldn't come back at all if I just did them every day.
smile.gif

Good luck and hope you are feeling better real soon.

+1 on the hot tub. Gotta love MrsBusawhipped avatar. Heal up Buddy.

Chiropractors can be saviors or demons.  A good one will tell you if he/she can't do anything.  Definitely research physical therapy options - exercises and stretches.  Surgery really should be a last resort...always.
+10000
thumb_up.gif

I was (in 2000) run over by a transpost planes right landing gear (right leg) and injured my lower back in 2003 . Took the leg about 2 years to get right, and until now for the Back to be normal again (THANK GOD
please.gif
) ! At first I didn't really want to go to a Chiropractor, but the wife insisted, and I'll NEVER regret it. From all my parachute jumps and other stuff, my back was out of line and compressed. Over the last couple of years (really, if it took me 30 years to get this way, I really didn't expect to be back to normal in 6 months) I've felt better than in the prior years.
2cents.gif

coolold.gif

NO CHIROPRATIC with a herniated disc. It won't help, and it can make the pain much worse if the disc is touching the spinal cord.
there is DRS (decompression therapy) that I have heard a few people had succss with...

my insurance would not cover it so I never tried it.. Instead they will pay for surgery or meds (I get Vicodin HP's 180 at a time)

From my understanding, they decompress the herniated disk and allow it to work its way back in and rehydrate..

I have no idea if it works or not but might be worth some more research before letting someone take the scalpel to you..

1 year ago - I had spinal fusion on L4/L5 done by an orthopedic surgeon. WOW! No more scoliosis, no more cyatica, no more gimp, no more nights trying to get comfortable, and I'm back in the weight room, running, playing tennis, golf, etc. I can't tell you how good this was. After 10 years of pain. (actually 20)

2 MRI's, drug treatment, stretches, chiropractors, and lots of wasted time - All done! But have an experienced orthopede do it in my opinion. I can't believe I finally have my life back.

The last few Chiropractors I went to - couldn't help me. One - put me in the hospital. that's just my experience...

1 year ago - I had spinal fusion on L4/L5 done by an orthopedic surgeon.  WOW!  No more scoliosis, no more cyatica, no more gimp, no more nights trying to get comfortable, and I'm back in the weight room, running, playing tennis, golf, etc.  I can't tell you how good this was.  After 10 years of pain.  (actually 20)

2 MRI's, drug treatment, stretches, chiropractors, and lots of wasted time -  All done!  But have an experienced orthopede do it in my opinion.  I can't believe I finally have my life back.

The last few Chiropractors I went to - couldn't help me.  One - put me in the hospital.  that's just my experience...
mine as well.

cheers
ken

they want to fuse c5 c6 and c7 on me.... bok bok bok makes me feel a bit more optimistic about it... sure tired of the drugs

Herniated disc l4/l5, had half surgicaly removed in '89. Have been pain free since.
Chiropractors are quacks
http://www.chirobase.org/
http://www.quackwatch.org/
I know what it's like.
good luck

cheers
ken
You could never be more wrong about Chiropractic dude!  Your post implies surgery is a "cure all" and Chiropractic is "worthless".

Just read some of the other posts!

Very narrow minded.  

No offense intended!

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
winkold.gif
, this is starting to sound like the OPINION POLL
laugh.gif

For me
idea3.gif
, surgery would be the LAST option
sadnews.gif
. Why
umnik.gif
 , because I would exhaust all other options first, since after surgery there is no other options. Except to PAY THE DOC  
drools.gif

Col , I will have to agree with you . The doctor that I am seeing wants to put off surgery as a last resort. He does think that the medication that he gave me and the Epidural Steroid Injections ( 4 total over 2 visits ) will help along with some form of stretching /exercise regiment.
firedevil.gif

I too suffered for 20 some years ,blew my back out while lifting weights .. But its better now at 45 years old then when I was 25.. I've been to Doctors ,Chiro's etc. In my opinion Surgery should be a last resort. ( Its cant be reversed ) So try everything else first.. I actually fixed mine on my own.. If you want to try what I did pm me and we'll hook up by phone..It would be too much to write.. What ya got to lose? Anyhow take care ...PR

Back