Back from the painters... good/bad ---both

It looks better in the daylight pics, but it still does not match. They need to figure out what went wrong and repaint it :thumbsup:

Does look better outside but still no match.Bike looks good all orange.Haave them paint all body panels fenders and tank.You could always go all black.MY freind that owned mine bought a 08 black n gray which is now being painted all black. Guese he misses it.HA HA mine now.Any way,bike looks great.

Another suggestion would be to get them to paint the black side fairings like they did the back. It'll give you a two tone look out of the sun and something that'll catch your eye in the sun. Even if they have to repaint the tail at the same time for all parts to be done the same. Then if you want to redo the kanji symbols, try to have them matched to the darker paint.

I had a 2004 CBR 1000 and I wanted the lower fairing painted the same red as the rest of the bike. We tried several differnt brands, including PPG, and we never did match the red. Everybody, including reps w/PPG scratched their heads over the slight differnces and even after 4 attempts w/different base coats it was still off. We ordered the Color Rite base and top coat and ended up with a perfect match. I have seen the stupid spray paint cans used from Color Rite on a 2006 LTD Hayabusa and the pearl white was a perfect match.

If you really want to match the orange paint on your 2008 I bet Color Rite will be your only answer. Be prepaired to spend some money though.

I do agree with the colorite. I have used it right out of the spraycan with beautiful results. BTW, you can get quart cans and spray with a real gun.

well... it's dark outside, and with just my garage lights on, I can see that the tail section is a color shade different... I'm thinkin it's the primer color, because they went by the OEM specs for the # of coats of candy.. does anyone know if the primer color on the K8 is clear, silver, or gold ???

1. grey primer
2. clear with sparkles
3. candy max orange

alright guys... going to go back to painters today and see what we can iron out... going to see if we can try the different primer colors to try and get a match with the OEM PPG paint, and if that don't work, just gonna order the Colorrite and try that route...

Wish me luck :bowdown:

OK guys... dropped my girl off at the painters and told him about ALL the info I got from the oRg... turns out, they didn't use a primer at all, just scuffed the clear off the black and shot it... so that def tells me the cause of shade darker problem...

the good news is, he's going to shoot some practice strips using white, silver, and gold primers and see which one matches the best.

My question: is there any other color primer I need to tell him to shoot, because he is open to any and all ideas. He was just as sick about the shade difference as I was, and he is willing to make it right for me... a stand up guy and shop for sure :thumbsup:

Anyway - holla if I missed a color primer :cheerleader:

I'm thinking you should call colorite and pick their brains a little bit. Make like you wanna buy their paint. Ask them what shade of primer to use in conjunction with your orange paint. Seeing as they dont show a specific primer to use. :beerchug:

East Coast Sales and Support: 800-358-1882
West Coast Sales and Support: 800-736-7980
Canada Sales and Support: 800-461-2324

Last edited:
I think you've got a pretty close match there. Perfect? No. But pretty good, all things considered. That said, it sounds like you've got a good paint shop to work with and that with a little trial and error in the primer department you'll wind up with an even closer match.

BTW, In general, I like the look of the orange tail section/hump.

Best of luck with the repaint!

I'm thinking you should call colorite and pick their brains a little bit. Make like you wanna buy their paint. Ask them what shade of primer to use in conjunction with your orange paint. Seeing as they dont show a specific primer to use. :beerchug:

East Coast Sales and Support: 800-358-1882
West Coast Sales and Support: 800-736-7980
Canada Sales and Support: 800-461-2324

Thanks for that info... I contacted them yesterday & I'm just waiting for a response back :thumbsup:

greg

i sanded down a old panel today thats how i know. heres a pic of my orange busa. i did not paint all the panels at once.

114-1437_IMG.jpg

Wow Scuffed and painted with I guess you would end up considering a Black base. Would explain why it's darker. Hope this turns out alright for you. Weather is nicer and bet you itching to ride.

So, you think the front fender and the rear tail that dont even match looks good? ???

Why not work a deal to have them paint the tank and fairings - to match?

If you're considering that idea - try having them clean and clear coat the tank and fairings to see if that helps darken them a bit.

Try color-rite paint. I've had nothing but goodness from their product.

My final thought is... that they didn't strip the BLACK down from those pieces prior to painting them. This would definitely explain the dark shade.

Good luck getting it all sorted out bro!

Back