Back from the painters... good/bad ---both

dalynchmob4

Donating Member
Registered
Got my girl back from the painters today (after 6 days) to get the tail section and front fender done... and after a bunch of head scratching by them and myself, the paint just looks different. It's the OEM Candy Max Orange YME paint from PPG and the guys that painted her are 15 year veteran painters with show quality awards from SEMA... and still there are no explanations...

I'm afraid I've ruined my baby... I feel kinda sick :banghead:

I guess the only thing to do is order a new tail section and go back to Black...

Any of you guys got any ideas or suggestions ???

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. :thumbsup: Only thing I'd gripe about is the graphics on the tank don't look like they were installed at the right angle. Otherwise, I think it looks good!

Ouch, not a good match at all:whistle:

The problem with painting candy's is how many coats of the transparent you lay on. More coats = darker color...

Last edited:
I like it. :thumbsup: Only thing I'd gripe about is the graphics on the tank don't look like they were installed at the right angle. Otherwise, I think it looks good!

get yer eyes checked! he only painted the rear :whistle:

Ahh, The paint job looks great but the color, I'm not real sure about. Is it supposed to be the original busa color? If so, I think it's a little off as far as I can tell in the pics.

Ahh, The paint job looks great but the color, I'm not real sure about. Is it supposed to be the original busa color? If so, I think it's a little off as far as I can tell in the pics.

that's what has us scratching our heads... the paint is the same OEM paint from PPG... so I don't know why it's so different.

Ouch, not a good match at all:whistle:

The problem with painting candy's is how many coats of the transparent you lay on. More coats = darker color...
Also the base color. Matching candy colors suck. I'm sure they did the best they could do but I've had a little experience in paint work and candy is difficult. Good luck, I didn't know the orange was a candy color. Shows how much I know.

dealer specs called for 5.5 coats on metal and 4 coats on plastic... which is what they did.. I'm not sure which primer they used... I'll have to find out

i remember looking at the color code for the orange 08 and it said you have to use a certain color code primer also with the orange... anyone have the color code tables? because it was only the orange that required the primer. the other two slower colors didn't need to use a color coded primer...

Candy's are a bit hard to match. Even with non candy paint, on cars, a painter will blend into the panel next to it so it is a much smoother transition from one panel to the other.
ie: painting quarter panel and blending into the door and even trunk

So what if its a little different color. Not as different as the black was. Add some vinyl decals to the tail and dont worry about it. It was two colors before you painted it and now it is two colors that are a lot closer. It looks a whole lot better than with the black tail...a whole lot !! :beerchug:

Back