Back from Seattle

Mrs. Revlis

Donating Member
Registered
OK Folks - I got back LATE saturday night from Seattle.  I was up there for an interview with another company
smile.gif
.  It's nice to be in such high demand :p but it sure makes the decision difficult.

I've got to say that Seattle was beautiful!  And very relaxed.  The interview went well - very nice friendly folks, and we seemed to hit it off.  Then I got set loose.  The company had rented me a car... so I got me a map and took off.  This is generally a bad idea as I have no sense of direction... but I managed to unlose myself each time.  Friday afternoon I wandered all around the north Puget Sound area - kinda scoping out the towns and neighborhoods.  I wanted to get a feel for the area (and be able to report roads to Rev).  There are a lot of nice hilly roads with great views around there!  And the plants are magnificent!  After I managed to relocate where I was supposed to be, I found some dinner along the Sound.  Rev had suggested that I go into downtown Seattle and have dinner at McCormick & Schmick's - it's supposed to be very nice.  But I chickened out  
blush.gif
 I didn't want to go wandering around the city after dark all by my lonesome.  Besides - I didn't want to spend quite that much on food and not have anyone to share the meal with
biggrin.gif

Saturday I got up fairly early and headed into the city.  I went down near the Aquarium and walked around for a while, looking at the water and the great big boats.  It was pretty neat!  The aquarium was highly recommended, but I needed to be at the airport by about noon, so I passed on it this time.  I did go drive around though.  It's a lot more difficult to get abck onto I-5 than it was to get off!  It seems like almost every ramp I took off of the highway, wouldn't let me back on again!  I had to go toodle around town to find an on-ramp!  So... in the process I got a very thorough tour of Seattle, including the asian district (looked like some good food...).  I finally managed to find an on ramp again after about an hour of wandering... so I just went ahead to the airport.  I was there pretty early... but at least I got there.

Got home about midnight Saturday.  It's nice to be back.  Now comes the tough part - making a decision... San Francisco or Seattle?

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100527694 -->

Umm... I dunno, I like cloudy days, and I like being able to buy a real house for under $500k.... BUT The Bay area has LoBusa, and a seriously happening bike scene, good riding weather, and I will prolly be able to Get a position of my own at BAH or SPAWAR simply enough, but it is crowded, and Expensive $$$....

I loved the NW area last time I was up there, I am thinking we find a nice house nestled in the woods, and have that 8 Mile commute to your office. What will I do??? I dunno, I'll find something, I am that damn good...
laugh.gif

Seattle,  Seattle, Seattle, Seattle, Seattle, Seattle, Seattle.

How can you beat that scenery? And the roads are awesome. We were up there in April and it was gorgeous. A little foggy in the AM, but nice by mid-day.

Seattle, Seattle, Seattle, Seattle, Seattle, Seattle, Seattle.

( I think I'm living vicarously through you two..
blush.gif
)

Oh, and glad you found the airport Mrs Revlis.. but at least you got some scenery in.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|TheKatsMeow
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100528740 -->

I'm thinking Seattle could use one more "ManWhore".   That's right, put me out to stud... putting smiles on Housewives faces....

Really, both are hell and gone from Florida and this is a good thing.  Both offer better riding, this is a good thing.  Both are big enough that I will be able to find a position no problem, OR I'll OPEN my Studio in Seattle and do my own thing.

The Actual office where the Mrs would be working is about 11 miles north of Seattle, so we can look for a place about 10-15 miles further North if we so desire, which opens up a whole lot in the area.

I dunno, I really do want to get back to a more laid back environment where my lack of tan won't stand out...  
laugh.gif
 BUT The San Fran Area holds alot of appeal due the bike scene, the climate, it's proximity to Laguna Seca, etc.  It's also a place where the Biker Cafe' Idea could really work.  I dunno if it would work in Seattle...  Dunno if folks are actively riding year around or not.  I know the climate is chilly in the winter but otherwise snow free for the most part...

I think the biggest thing is the commute, and the craziness...  The wife and I can move to the Seattle area and buy a nice home, with alot of coolness to it, maybe a view of the Puget Sound even.  We could commute easily to the office, and over all our quality of life, or standard of living improves.

We move to the San Francisco area and even with significant pay increases and at best our standard of living breaks even, even living an hour outside of the area...  But then again, I prolly have a lock in San Francisco on a good job...or two...  But I would have to commute right into downtown SanFran every day...  So much for avoiding the Hustle and Bustle huh???  

I dunno...  HArd choice...  I'll just keep   and see what I can learn to help me work it out in my head...  Then the wife can tell me where we are moving and I can get on with it...  

Though the whole ManWhore thing does hold some appeal.... WHAT??? I CAN SHARE THE LOVE!!!

BUT... in Seattle you could do your silver.. it would be a HIT up there.. they are into that stuff in the NW.

But I guess none of this matters.. cuz Mrs's job is the deciding factor.
cool.gif

Yup, I'm just the Bootlick...
smile.gif
Man, opening up my own Studio and doing my Metalsmithing thing? That would be amazing... We'll see.... I'm pretty nervous really, but it's a good thing. I am kinda excited about either option. Both have the pluses and minuses...

Too hard to decide right now. I'm going to let it brew for a few days... and see what offers where...
cool.gif

Manstud... I don't know if I've got what it takes to be a full time pimp-ette
tounge.gif
You might have to hire some other chicky-boo for that *position*
laugh.gif

Glad you enjoyed your trip(s) to the West and Northwest. What you decide it totally up to you; however, a recent study ranked Seattle as the #1 "worst" place to live (at least at the moment). Cost of living is out of whack,,,,job market has dropped off (not for you, of course), housing costs are way out of line, commuting around Seattle is a hellish nightmare (takes forever to get anywhere) whether it's up/down I5 or 405. Other than that, it's a very pretty place. I have relatives living in the bay area and if you stay away from the "city" of SF and a couple other bergs near Stanford, you can find affordable housing and great riding conditions. Although, it does get cold there in the summer. Go figure. Just my $.02

HMM, more trouble to the NW... haha... thought we had a handful with RSD already...
laugh.gif

Yes, that is definitely one thing i hate about Seattle... is the highways... once you're off... how the hell do u get back on
laugh.gif
best thing... drive on thru!
laugh.gif
If you go to Seattle, you two will have to visit Vancouver
wow.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, RAIN,

Look at all the Rain, My friend moved up there, moved his whole business too and guess what he moved back because It is ALL ABOUT RAIN. Depressing RAIN. The Riders EnemY, RAIN. An did I mention frozen Rain, SNOW. WELL California is better weather for riding and we have more to offer here in the BAY Area.

Rev, try hypnotism, try begging, pleading, bribing, snivelling, crying, tantrums, whining, ANYTHING, (Jedi Mind trick) "You will like California better" (waving hand) but Look at the Geography of Seattle the weather is not CA.
Seriously it is beautiful there, but California is the place to be. Houses are just as expensive there. Depends on where you live..

Ok there's my nickel.

R'sN
(Roy)

Seattle is awesome for scenery and the roads not far out of town are epic, my best buddy lives there and loves it.

Down side :  The gray skys and drizzle last for weeks sometimes but not as much rain as some eastern city's. Traffic, crowds, crime and traffic and of course traffic. I think it's worse than S.F. and the traffic Nazi's pass out tickets like there's no tomorrow.

S.F. is also awesome, scenery, culture, arts... roads not far are sweet as well. And of course you guyz could allways come up here and ride we're only 3 hrs away at the Sierra foot hills and roads to nirvana.

Down side : about the same as above but maybe a little less crime.

Not sure which I would pick...

I hope this helps ... or nevermind.  
rock.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Seattle stats

SF stats

<!--EDIT|Hawaiibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100541650 -->

I lived in the northwest (Olympia) for 12 years....it's really pretty, but the constant rain/drizzle/overcast made me nuts. My current company has a couple stores up there (Renton and Lynwood), and I've spent enough time there recently to know that the cost of living ain't so different than the Bay Area. Given the choice, I'd choose California any day. YMMV, however...
smile.gif

Coming from Florida, you will hate the weather in Seattle. The Summer can't be beaten. Warm, not much humidity, not many bugs. It is awesome. And the riding is goosd as well. However, don't blink or you will miss it.

It is cloudy, gray and drizzly from Fall thru Spring. I came from Chicago, here the Winters are brutal. It rarely snows here, but it is the lack of sunshine that gets people down.

All things being equal....I would go for the Bay Area. But all things probably won't be equal. Housing prices in the Bay are supposed to out of this world....making for a tough choice.

Well, Crime certainly figures into things, but I have been doing my homework And while both Seattle and The Bay have crime in them. They both have about half the crime of Tampa.  But here, let's get down to the numbers, so sports fans can quit guessing about Crime and rain etc...  Here's a great breakdown, line by line Of

San Francisco VS Seattle... Click the link then select the tabs above...

Looks pretty good for San Francisco Doesn't it?  But the one problem...  I'm not going to spend $300K for a one bedroom apartment...  So we have to live away from the big cities...  How about where the offices are?  

SO Here we Go,

Oakland VS Mt. Lake Terrace.  Well looks pretty Damning for poor Oakland doesn't it?  

OK OK Not Fair?  OK How about the Cities The Wife and I are likely to buy a house in.  I mean the place where we caould afford to have a decent home in each.
So It would probably be Stockton VS Lynwood,   Oh and Lynwood Is about 5 miles from the office, Stockton would be about an Hour or so away...

Allrighty, Last one Just in Case, one more City to city Comparison.
 Vallejo VS Kenmore

There is no denying that the weather is better in Cali...  But I like Cloudy and misty days...  Reminds me of being in Wales.  The kicker in San Fran and the area around it is the $$$ of Housing, it's just sick...  I Dunno how I feel about it because I would think eventually the bubble has to burst...  It can't survive like it is currently I wouldn't think... 

Looky Here though folks, lets put this in perspective...  Lets compare
Mt. Lake Terrace WA. VS Tampa Florida...  Looky looky at what I am leaving behind...  Crime is Way outta control and Tampa gets a comfort index of 6... "6"...

This is interesting though, according to this same sites' city finder thingi, where I enter in my preferences, looky looky at number 1&2...  I say the discussion about which is better comes down to the Benjamins....  
smile.gif
  Either way I am outta Florida, and a Happy Camper...
thumbs-up.gif

Ah but man...  Cali has the riding and the weather........  

Climate Econ. Hous. Educ. Health Crime Recr. Arts Trans.
1  San Francisco, CA 19% 5% 4% 10% 10% 4% 19% 17% 12%
2  Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA 13% 12% 6% 11% 9% 4% 23% 10% 12%
3  Boston, MA-NH-ME 5% 7% 5% 10% 13% 8% 16% 21% 14%
4  Long Island, NY 5% 7% 6% 9% 12% 17% 19% 15% 10%
5  San Jose, CA 21% 6% 4% 11% 11% 8% 18% 13% 8%
6  Oakland, CA 25% 6% 5% 12% 4% 3% 21% 14% 10%
7  San Diego, CA 23% 7% 6% 11% 7% 6% 20% 11% 9%
8  Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA 23% 6% 6% 8% 4% 5% 17% 18% 13%
9  Washington, DC-MD-VA-WV 4% 6% 8% 16% 13% 6% 13% 19% 16%
10  Nashua, NH 6% 19% 5% 10% 12% 19% 8% 8% 12%
 Climate Econ. Hous. Educ. Health Crime Recr. Arts Trans.
11  Boulder-Longmont, CO 5% 14% 8% 14% 16% 9% 12% 6% 17%
12  Denver, CO 5% 11% 8% 11% 15% 7% 12% 16% 15%
13  Dallas, TX 13% 15% 8% 10% 9% 4% 12% 15% 14%
14  New York, NY 5% 4% 6% 11% 9% 6% 23% 21% 16%
15  Monmouth-Ocean, NJ 7% 10% 7% 8% 6% 16% 22% 10% 14%
16  Tacoma, WA 16% 14% 7% 7% 11% 2% 26% 6% 12%
17  Orange County, CA 26% 8% 6% 11% 7% 11% 18% 7% 6%
18  Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI 4% 13% 8% 13% 12% 7% 12% 16% 15%
19  Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA 29% 6% 5% 10% 5% 7% 13% 9% 17%
20  Pittsburgh, PA 6% 8% 8% 9% 14% 13% 8% 19% 15%

Oh and as for best and worst cities?  Seattle doesn't really fall at the end or the top of any of the lists I can find, dunno what data your using, US Census data doesn't show this either...  

It really is that simple, if the Bay area weren't so damned expensive there wouldn't be a discussion. But The wife and I end up out in BFE before the housing starts to make some kinda sense... But then we are out in the Central Valley, looking at at least an hours commute each way, High Crime, High Taxes.... Damnit! Grrr... The Whole Cali thing is Completely Ying/Yang for me... Cool, But Busy and Overpriced. North of Seattle the price and the environment is right, but it's fuggin rainy and cloudy ALL the damn time... Though I do kinda dig the clouds and drizzle...

Thinker, I am guessing you just don't want me in your backyard...
wow.gif
I don't blame ya, I wouldn't want to live near me either.
biggrin.gif

I look at it like this, I hate heat, I grew up in the Rockies, then lived in Omaha for four years, Omaha is cloudy, cold, shitty, and nasty ALL WINTER... No sun for weeks. But there was no Badass weather waiting, no cool Puget sound stuff, no cool city to go check out, and then come summertime, it was straight to hot and shiddy... Very little "perfect weather." So really I think I could be quite happy in the land of drizzle and clouds... Besides, either place we go is prolly just going to be another 4 year tour then moving to Colorado... I will get home eventually... So it's not like we are moving for the last time more than likely...

Anyway as you can tell I am nervous and excited about this move, I feel all giddy... Either or will be a huge bonus for me and the Wife... I like the idea of California, and I like the Idea of Washington... So I gotta STFU before I wear something out...

cool.gif

Move up North of Seattle, much nicer!
smile.gif
That's exactly where I have been shopping around... Kenmore, Briar, Edmunds, Mill Creek, Mulkiteo. Prices are right, crime is all but non-existant... Commuting to Mt. Lake Terrace is simple...

But then I still have to find a job...
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back