Back from my 1270mi trip!!

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
I've always had a noise with my chain, but it goes away for a bit with lube. So I thought that was the cure. No. It is not.

I have just over 19k on the chain and sprocket. I looked just to see what was wrong today, and I see chipped toothed, rear sprocket, rollers on the chain cracked, rollers missing-ALOT, and even after the missing roller I saw the skinnier part chipped around it. surprise the chain has not yet snapped off there yet!! Can't believe I made my 1270mi trip like that! I am betting it has been this way for a while even before the trip because I had always had the same noise, but these days getting louder.

I will check kneedraggers.com and ronayers.com to see if there are cheap replacements? unless you guys know other places. Stock gearing is 17/42 right? IF I go 16/40, will that limit me to around 180mph? I wouldn't mind if it would. Also is it recommended to get RK chain?

um.... do you ever do a pre-ride inspection?
rock.gif

You had the chain adjusted too tight at some point,busted rollers which means it will be noisey,tight is some spots,loose in others.There is a sweet spot on chain adjustment,once you find it,chains will last a pretty long time.:;):

I've always had a noise with my chain, but it goes away for a bit with lube.  So I thought that was the cure. No. It is not.

I have just over 19k on the chain and sprocket.  I looked just to see what was wrong today, and I see chipped toothed, rear sprocket, rollers on the chain cracked, rollers missing-ALOT, and even after the missing roller I saw the skinnier part chipped around it. surprise the chain has not yet snapped off there yet!!  Can't believe I made my 1270mi trip like that!  I am betting it has been this way for a while even before the trip because I had always had the same noise, but these days getting louder.

I will check kneedraggers.com and ronayers.com to see if there are cheap replacements? unless you guys know other places.  Stock gearing is 17/42 right? IF I go 16/40, will that limit me to around 180mph? I wouldn't mind if it would.  Also is it recommended to get RK chain?
1270 miles, and no pictures?

Yeah the correct numbers are 19,600 miles on the bike and it was a 1308mile trip. I didn't take pics but tried to take the easy way out by just describing. I will have to drive the bike, but slow on the feeder because I have to work during the night, and I won't be able to get the thing fixed till after the middle of the month ($) I will have money to buy the parts but not enough to get them installed on the 10th. I am getting either the ZZZ chain or D.I.D. ZVM X-Ring chain, which ever is stronger for the combo 16/42

I plan to run that modded ZX10 in the ground, I will use gearing instead of Power Adders
smile.gif

The bike needs to be PARKED. You're flirting with DEATH...or at best a destroyed engine case, scratched up swing arm, screwd up rear wheel and busted tail piece.

Back