B-King, Mods and Ride Report

B-Rex

Registered
Saturday turned out to be a decent ride day through eastern Kansas and western Missouri. More on that in a minute.

I picked up my Bee from my dealer in Kansas at about noon. The dealer's mods produced mixed results. A nice job was done installing the carbon fiber tank protector. While the protector was very pricey ($49!) it does look really good. The advantage to using the classy B-King specific protector is the cool looking B-King logo in the center of it.

The Garmin Zumo wiring and installation was done OK and looks good and professional. I have to say the Bee's instrument pod is not super easy to see without any mods. Adding the Zumo makes visibility a bit tighter.

The accessory 12 volt socket install sucked. Not only did they order me a cheesy, cheap half-plastic socket, but it's one with the wires and connectors visible and clearly exposed. I took one look at it and told them that it was terrible and that on my return for service, it's gone and a much better looking (and performing?) "Powerlet", billet socket is going to be put in, in its place. It seems that you either pay a $120 for a Powerlet or $20 for a cheesy adapter...no in-between. Be careful with this! I can't believe my dealer did that install with a straight face.

The paint swirls and scratches were buffed out nicely. Now I have to see if the Suzuki's soft paint re-swirls and re-scratches as quickly as it did the day after I bought it. I love the bike's fit and finish but the paint sucks.

It was in the low 50s when I pulled out of my dealers and onto highway 35 northbound. I made my way to hwy 435 and that's when it got interesting. I ran a gauntlet of potholes and construction lane seams that had me weaving back and forth like a drunk. While the Bee is agile for a large bike, it definitely took some effort to do the road-hazard gauntlet at 70-75 mph. I'm going to need more practice making the rapid directional changes smoothly enough to make me happy. I suspect the fat rear tire has some effect on the forces needed.

One of the advantages to the Bee's weight, centralized mass and fat rear tire is its complete lack of skittishness. Wind, trucks and bumpy pavement not only have little effect on the Bee's handling but its excellent suspension smooths out everything so far encountered. It really is a pleasure to ride even at overly brisk highway speeds.

I also did about 60 miles of ground levels streets enjoying the sunshine and exploring my newly adopted city. I encountered a dozen or so other bikes, evenly split between sport bikes and cruisers. One fellow on a late-model ZX-14 pulled up alongside me in traffic and indicated that we should go up to the highway to see how my Bee performed against his Kawi. I politely indicated that I already knew how it would perform but thanked him for his interest. Displeased, he roared off, scaring the hell out of the cagers and looking a bit silly gunning it through 35 mph traffic.

Just as an aside, I would consider a 1/4 mile drag race against the ZX-14 under proper conditions and after my TRE is installed. THAT would be a contest. But as far as a "top-end" duel goes...it's a "no contest". The Bee is about as aerodynamic as a brick. Over about 150 mph, the wind blast would be inolerable and parasitic drag would probably keep the Bee from ever going over 160-165 mph. Clearly that's 'Busa and ZX-14 territory. I'm not, and never was, interested in such "contests". The idea of trying it on the street is beyond stupid, IMHO!

Anyway, the rest of the ride was uneventful. I pulled into my warehouse tired but thoroughly pleased with the day's ride. Maybe winter is almost over, FINALLY!!!

B-Rex

Good on yer!! I had my bike in the dealership for a new front tire yesterday, and they had a new B in the showroom that helped me elude boredom while I waited. That bike is SO badass looking, if I had a naked that would be it, and I would paint it yellow and black and name it "Bumble B" as a pun and in honor of the Transformers movie it reminds me of!! Just nothing subtle about the bike, and I say that with complete respect (as a Mustang owner with one of the nastiest racing exhausts on the planet I appreciate wretched excess in performance machines). Totally over the top, massive, evil and brutal are the words that come to mind.

Very good in the ZX-14 situation, I would say he lost that one. Inviting a naked bike to have a go was a compliment to you, he just expressed his admiration for the bike by wanting to be able to tell his friends "Yeah, I smoked one of those B-Kings, they're not that badass...". You showed him who was the better man, with the best assessment of what his machine is, and the maturity not to make an azz of himself and endanger others while doing it.
smile.gif
He probably had to go spank a 600 on the way home just to feel good about himself as a man...

Good ride report. Depending on the rider, that ZX-14 may not of come out on top. 1/4 miles times are pretty close. The B will MOVE. As far as the parasitic drag, not a problem up to 167 on my GPS yesterday. Still pulling good too.

Thanks for the feedback Shibumi. And I agree, there IS something about the Bee's looks that just clicked with me. I do sooo love this bike. The funny thing is that the Bee exemplifies one of the critical adages in science, i.e. "Form defines function". Pretty much everything about the way it looks is how it performs. I don't know a better way to say it.

06BlkBusa thanks for the feedback and...LOL....I'm amazed you got it 167 mph and were able to withstand the windblast! WOW! I haven't gotten close (and I'm sure I won't on the street).

Regarding the ZX-14...I think, depending on the skill of its rider, that I would have a decent chance of taking it in the 1/4 with a TRE installed. As I'm sure you know, the unmodified Bee does the 1/4 in about 9.88-9.91. With a TRE (and a sticky drag-racing slick) it should be able to hit the 9.7s....enough to beat the ZX-14 if I was a good enough rider to pull it off. Throw some Micron exhausts on and I think it would be a piece of cake.

But, as you pointed out, there is definitely skill involved. In my earlier drag racing days, I had the skill in the 1/4. Now, at my age, that remains to be seen (on a track). As far as top-end goes, I don't think I'm good enough with either a stock or modified Bee to beat a ZX-14 in the hands of a reasonably competent rider. With your 'Busa experience you'd be a much better candidate to smoke a ZX-14 with a Bee. Though I still think drag would be a serious issue at the top of the Bee's range. But, it's all speculation on my part at this point.

I look forward to hearing more as you put your Bee through its paces!

Sounds like a good time overall and I agree, you used good judgement with the guy on the ZX. Not in terms of who would have won, but not riding out of your way just to race. In avoiding the potholes, does the bike wallow with quick direction changes? I'm still enthralled with the B, even though my wife doesn't find the passenger accomodations comfortable, I think I could still make romm on the garage for one  
smile.gif

Thanks Red05. I wouldn't say it wallows. Truth is that it is remarkably agile considering its size and weight. But I do notice that rapid changes in position take a bit more effort on my part. For now, it's as if I consciously need to apply slightly more force than I would do instinctively. A lot of this may be due to the fact that I'm not completely used to it yet. I expect that at some point I will have adjusted my "instincts" and it will become automatic again like with my previous bikes. Now that being said I do have to point out that I am doing these maneuvers at higher speeds than I was used to normally doing them in the past (I am doing a lot more highway riding now).

Regarding the pillion, my GF thinks it's very comfy. Granted this is the first bike she has ridden two-up but nonetheless, I would expect her to let me know quickly if she experienced the slightest discomfort. She rode several hours without a complaint. She is about 5'6", 130 lbs. and seemed to fit quite nicely.

I have to say that of the four or so B-King owners that I have spoken with, EVERY one loves the bike. And it doesn't matter what else they have in their garage. There's just something about it. Vague, I know....and I can't really explain it. It's just a unique machine. Part of it may be the fact that it is so comfy and civilized to ride....yet you know that just by flicking the throttle it suddenly becomes this roaring beast ready to flatten virtually anything in its path.

The best analogy I can think of is that it is a 'Busa wearing an Armani suit. Looks great, sophisticated, a bit flashy and suprisingly comfy for a suit, but underneath....there is this raging leviathan ready to lunge and hurtle you through space when called upon to do so. It's like riding a standard....but never having to say you're sorry or make excuses. Whatever you need, it's up for it.

LOL....see.....hard as hell to describe
cool.gif

Well B-Rex there is a time and a place to get stupid and that was not the right time. Cold road with cold tires and pot holes and racing would have been a bad idea. I'm still waiting for good weather here, its dam cold here. Down into the 20*s at night and snow in the day. It looks like I have about two weeks to wait for any warm weather. I can't wait to tell of my first ride, but I'm sure it will not be written as well as your reports. Well right now I have the bike to look at and I dream of riding through your written words.

Max...I can't wait to read your ride report. I know you have been itching to get in a good ride day on your Bee. Having both a 'Busa and a Bee, like "06BlkBusa", you should be able to give a really good comparison between the two on handling and general performance. However, no matter what, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

This crappy weather has to break soon. Right now we are getting a fair amount of rain and clouds so it may be a few days before I have the Bee out for another run. But you can bet that as soon as it's clear, I will be back out on the road.

Here's to wishing you great weather!

B-Rex

Well its done! I could not wait any longer for my first ride. Its my day off today, yep I get the middle of the week for my days off. I could see out the window and the roads were clear with no water on the road. We still have snow banks here and air temp. is sticking at 34*F here.

I decide to take the bike out for my first ride. I know that the ride will be limited by the cold air and lack of traction because of cold tires and road surface. I decided to take a ride to the bank to cash a check.

Well the winter has been long and cold here, when I pulled my helmet down from the shelf in the bedroom I could see cleaning was needed. A fine coat of dust and smashed bugs were covering my helmet. I dig my riding coat out of the closet along with the gloves. I notice that bugs also remain on front of my Joe Rocket Busa jacket. But after some cleaning I'm ready to go out to the garage and fire the King up.

When I first got my Busa in 2000 it was my first bike with fuel injection. The Busa had a lever for the choke. This lever on the Busa to my understanding was only to increase motor speed a little when cold and the computer ran the choke. When the Busa was warm you would flip off the choke lever and you would have normal engine speed.

The B-King is different there is no choke lever and its starts as easy and care free as a car. Thumb the starter and the motor comes to life and runs smooth with no fuss. The motor of the B-King is a busa motor and exhaust wise sounds much like my Busa. There is a little more mechanical nose from the B-King motor, but that i think is do to the lack of plastic covering the motor. I have been reading that the first gear from time to time is hard to get into. People have said if you stop put the bike into neutral and let the clutch out then pull in the clutch and go to first they can't get the bike into gear. This would happen at say a stop light, and the quick fix was to roll the bike a little then it would go in. I guess the gears would be a little out of alignment in the transmission. I never had this happen and attempted to cause this to happen with several stops and starts.

I found the transmission to act the same as the transmission in my Hayabusa with a false neutral every once in a great while between 5 and 6th gear. After riding a Busa as long as I have you get to know the feel of the transmission. And when going into 6th and you can tell by the feel when you have to re lift the shifter to hit 6th because of the false neutral. I have found this is not much of a problem and easy to learn to live with because it is rare.

I pulled the bike out onto the road and worked the bike up to speed. At this point I noticed that the gear indicator view is obstructed by the throttle cables. And then I remember reading the same complaint on another write up of the King. Im going to have to fuss with the cables a little if I want to be able to view the number when riding.

The brakes on this bike are great! Much better than my Busa, the stopping power is impressive. Time will tell if this is only because they are new or if the new type of calipers and brake material make the difference.

As for the handling of the bike its turns nice and is not heavy in the front end. It is different setting up straight and rolling on the power, you feel it in your arms more. A little strange after eight years riding bent over the busa. I have yet to whack on her hard I only put eight miles on her. I rolled on her once and took it up to about 75mph on a back road.

I know what your thinking... what about the break in? They say to stay under 5 grand for the first 500 miles. Well all I can say is this.. you may or may not agree. When I got my busa I did the go slow take it easy stay under 5000 and did that for like 300 miles. I stopped at my friends shop and he said "So what have you had her up to so far?" I told him I was following the book. He told me go crank on her by now she is broken in, you can't hurt her! Crank on her and treat her normal she will be fine. The long break in time in steps was meant to accumulate the rider to so much power. Well I ran the bike hard, changed the oil every 3000 and never had a problem. My 2000 Busa is an animal.

So the king is back in the garage 8 miles on, and it feels great. When it warms up and I have several more hundred miles on it we will crank on it and see how the King runs. I will then take the bike to our local 1/4 mile strip and we will see how it does there.

Great report Max!

I know the call of the Bee is so loud, you couldn't ignore it for a moment longer. Especially to brave the cold like you did. About 45 degrees is my absolute cut-off. Being a southerner I can't even imagine the amount of parts that would fall off of me if I tried 36 degrees!

Here's hoping it warms up, up there....quick!

B-Rex

Ok here is a real world report... I was talking about of taking the top speed limits off the B-King and putting on a TRE. Well the proper term is was..... I have done my first oil change and started to twist on the kings tail. I took the King up to the limit in 6th gear which is 150mph. The king is set up for real world riding, its a 1/4 mile bike and is not made to live in the upper speed world of the Busa. The wind blast at 150 is bad! It blows you around and this will transmit into the bars making the bike feel twitchy. The bike is a blast for acceleration but forget the world over 150mph. There was a good reason Suzuki limited the bike. Save your money and don't bother with a TRE its not needed. Just live in the real world and live to run 1/4 mile.

Boy is it fun to have people roll up next to the king and not have any idea what they are playing with. They look and lay into it and expect to blow that almost standard looking bike away. After all your seated straight up it can't be fast right? Wrong!! All I know is they are left wondering what the hell was that? As I go by on the back wheel in first gear until I bump the rev limiter in first and come back down to grab second. The B sucks the paint off them leaving them for dead!
thumb_up.gif

Back