axle torque specs for galespeed wheels

rockethead

Registered
can't seem to find any info on this... any guess? should I just torque to oem specs 72.5ftlb ? suggestions?

here is what I'm getting.

2.jpg

Every aftermarket wheel i have ever had, the torque spec is usually half!

Whoa Whoa Whoa, where is your thread on these new wheels? I want details, links, etc. :rulez: :poke:

they were offered by Buckeyes87 in the classified section on here. I went back n forth with myself for a bit but I couldn't help myself. just another thing for the bike I can't live without:rofl: They are sweet wheels and even come with decent rubber and rear sprocket. :thumbsup:

Every aftermarket wheel i have ever had, the torque spec is usually half!

I was worried about this, I don't want to pinch em too tight and crimp or warp em I dont know, first time dealing with this. when I first bought the busa I :laugh:ran into a guy at a stop sign. so... I fixed all the plastic and headlight/turn signals/ fender... I have fork tubes to swap in and now I have the wheels coming , gonna buy a front axle and swap the front end out. hope I don't run into any problems. seems like a straight forward job (that's what scares me:laugh: seems too easy) so swapping the wheel and axle is just for peace of mind. I don't think the stock rim/axle/bearings were harmed at all. I just want to fix it all proper like:thumbsup:

I've got around 8000 miles on my magnesium wheels and they have always been torqued to as close to 72.5 as I can get. They are still fine. There were instructions in the box to torque them to the 'factory settings'.

can't seem to find any info on this... any guess? should I just torque to oem specs 72.5ftlb ? suggestions?

Call the manufacture just to be sure...I tried to google it, but was not able to get a definite answer. BST wheels website says to use stock torque specs, but not to exceed 90 nm...works out to 66.4 ft lbs...6 lbs less than stock.

I have two sets of BST's and have used the stock specs for 5 years and had ZERO issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

You know that there's a spacer in between the bearings so there's no "pinching" to be had.

You know that there's a spacer in between the bearings so there's no "pinching" to be had.

that's good. yeah, this will be my first time dealing with all this and don't want to run into any suprises you know.. i have the service manual so we'll see how it goes. gotta get a torque wrench also..

I was just looking at torque wrenches... what the hell will I need to do this job? if I get a 1/2 drive i don't think it would work for the little bolts like rotor bolts/ pinch bolts. and the 3/8 drive i think would be too small for the front/rear axle nuts... what do you guys think about this?

To have the right set of torque wrenches you will actually need 3 wrenches. 1/2,3/8 Ft/lbs and a 1/4 inch/lbs(This is a small one with a range of 40-200inch lbs). The small one is for the case covers and other small bolt. The engine cover bolts WILL break with slightly too much effort applied. Ask how I know...... Just a heads up. I use these 3 torque wrenchs on a daily basis at my work. Just a heads up. Do not go cheap when buying torque wrenches as the cheap ones are seldom accurate when new. Buy the best you can like Craftsman or equivalent. No need to buy Snap-on or Matco unless you want to spend about $1K for 3 TW's.

You also may want to do another step. Buy a set of new cush drive rubber bushings if possible. All the people I knew that carried Galespeed, do not anymore. So parts are getting alot harder to come by. Just a heads up.

update.. I found out who makes the Gale Speed m/c wheel. Active co., ltd. and I found a physical address.. so, I emailed em and asked the torque specs for the type R so I'll wait and see if I get a response. It was a job finding out who makes these wheels. I emailed distributors and they wouldn't tell me.. maybe I was asking the question wrong:laugh: o well. here is the link for what I found.COMPANY INFORMATION

Back