Awwwww crap! This can't be good!

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
Decided to do a little work on the on old girl today, prop the tank up and as I'm setting the idle I look at the little clear plastic do-Nicky on the left side of the air box. I notice its full of stuff so I take it off and discover it's grit & bug bits. Now I'm thinking "why is this here?" So I take off the K & N and I can see grit around the 4 intake openings. WTF happened here? Does outside air come through the middle opening or the 4 round ones?

air should only be coming in through the air tubes and if its past the filter then your getting debris from some place else... have you been cleaning the filter?

an airbox mod, looks like pic below?
SMALL AIRBOX MOD: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/engine-performance-mods/63816-small-air-box-mod.html

67700-small-air-box-mod-air_box_mod_001.jpg

LARGE AIRBOX MOD: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/engine-performance-mods/135512-large-airbox-mod.html

194721d1279197250-large-airbox-mod-p3225537.jpg

No my bike is stock I just bought a K & N filter and put it on recently. Now looking at that pix the grit is around the bottom of the 4 holes. From the looks of it those feed directly into the engine so the air come in through the middle part? Only place I can think it would be getting around the filter is where it connects to the box.

Did you oil the filter ? The Air Cleaner Drain plugs are doing their job, and you will get bugs and grit in those areas, but you should be all clean on the engine side of the filter if the filter is good and installed properly.

Forget everything I said. Gen I , clean it up real good, and inspect it for any areas that might be leaking. I'm thinking the air comes in to the airbox in the large single opening where you see all the dirt and feeds into the throttle bodies through the four openings to the rear. I think the installation is kinda fool proof.

Yes I oiled it properly but I have no idea which is the engine side. Your talking to a motorcycle noob here ya know! :laugh:

engine side of the filter is the inside the outside of the filter is body side... its called engine side because it pulls air from the outside of the filter in towards the inside

Forget everything I said. Gen I , clean it up real good, and inspect it for any areas that might be leaking. I'm thinking the air comes in to the airbox in the large single opening where you see all the dirt and feeds into the throttle bodies through the four openings to the rear. I think the installation is kinda fool proof.

That's what I'm thinking but if so why is there all that grit around the 4 intakes and drain plug? ???

Sounds like the bottom of the filter is not sealing against the air box floor. K & N makes a grease sealer just for this issue. Get a tube of that and run a bead of it around the bottom of the filter. Should seal then.

OY! Got an email from K & N today and basically this filter comes with SEALS! It's a good thing I started poking around behind the fairings, hopefully I didn't kill it! :please:

OY! Got an email from K & N today and basically this filter comes with SEALS! It's a good thing I started poking around behind the fairings, hopefully I didn't kill it! :please:

Installed seperately? or On the filter? or comes with a sealer like vailes was saying?

All I know is there's one for the bottom and one for the top. Got another email today and they are sending them to me for FREE!:laugh: Pretty cool of them even though I told them I bought it off eBay.

My K&N only came with the top seal and a tube of grease for the bottom. Maybe I need to call them and see if I can get that bottom seal. Looks like it obviously seals alot better.

Back