Avon or Shinko thread

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
I’m on my second BT5SR, and it will be gone by the time I hit 9k. Riding 1750-2000 miles/month
Running ¼â€￾ chicken strip both sides. Generally carry a lot of speed into turns, but do not hit heavy throttle coming out.
Hoping someone with similar riding habits and experience running the Avon or Shinko can comment.
I need something different that I don’t have to change out every 2 ½ months.
Occasional trip to the dragstrip, but that is second priority to longevity. I run some old and kind of slick asphault roads everyday that have some decent curves. Last thing I want to do is wash and lay her down

(busa_bill @ Sep. 25 2006,08:50) I’m on my second BT5SR, and it will be gone by the time I hit 9k. Riding 1750-2000 miles/month
Running ¼â€ chicken strip both sides. Generally carry a lot of speed into turns, but do not hit heavy throttle coming out.
Hoping someone with similar riding habits and experience running the Avon or Shinko can comment.
I need something different that I don’t have to change out every 2 ½ months.
Occasional trip to the dragstrip, but that is second priority to longevity. I run some old and kind of slick asphault roads everyday that have some decent curves. Last thing I want to do is wash and lay her down
Others will be along shortly but the Avon’s are a sure bet! I have not heard anyone give a bad review of them that went in with proper expectations! They are a sport touring tire that just happens to stick and handle. The Shinko’s are dirt cheap but I haven’t heard much as far as actual mileage or handling?

Just as an FYI I have the Metzeler M3’s on now and have already got 15% (2900 VS 3500 and climbing) more mileage out of the rear than I got from the BT56. They stick like **** on a blanket and seem to be durable too, a very definite improvement in roll rate and stability at major lean angle too. Great tire IMHO.

Avons. I'm running Viper Sport AV-59 & AV-60. I have over 2000 miles on them and you can still see mold marks here and there. They stick very good. My commute to work is 7 miles each way so those 2000+ miles are mountain miles in CT, MA, NY, NH, & VT.

As a matter of fact if you during the month of September if you purchase a REAR Viper Sport or Viper Supersport you can get the FRONT tire for FREE

CLICKY LINKY

I had looked into the Azaro 45/46 combo before I bought the last BT5S. Heard these would go about 6k depending on your riding habits and road conditions.

I'm assuming the Viper line is a softer compound!?!?!?

TRY THE BRIDGSTONE BT 14 .. lasted me about 4500-5000 depending on how much i went to the track. with light burnouts. stick very good and good mileage.

(busa_bill @ Sep. 25 2006,13:18) I had looked into the Azaro 45/46 combo before I bought the last BT5S. Heard these would go about 6k depending on your riding habits and road conditions.

I talked my buddy into running the AV45/46's on his FJR. He now has almost 6000 on them and they look like new! Amazing!

(bigoltool @ Sep. 25 2006,13:41)
(busa_bill @ Sep. 25 2006,13:18) I had looked into the Azaro 45/46 combo before I bought the last BT5S. Heard these would go about 6k depending on your riding habits and road conditions.

I talked my buddy into running the AV45/46's on his FJR. He now has almost 6000 on them and they look like new! Amazing!
That is the tire I'm most interested in.

My BT5S will sometimes wash just a tad on the old asphault roads I run when I lean it hard.
I guess I'm hoping these tires will corner the same.
Probably wishful thinking.

I've got ~2500 miles on the stock BT56 tires. Rear is showing decent amount of wear, probably good for another 2000 maybe. Not fond of the BT56 and it works, but it doesn't inspire my confidence on turns.

QUESTION:
Since the front BT56 is fine right now did most of you run another BT56 and then replace them both next time?

I run the Avon 46/45 combo. I am 6'2" /250 and ride it to the edge of the tread. I attack corners aggressively. Ask the guys from the Meet -N- Greet about the roads we ride here. I got ~7200 miles out of the last rear tire. As long as I own a Hayabusa and Avon makes those tires. I will run them on it.

Don

I have put 5000+ miles on my Metzler M3's and I plan on buying a new set next month. By then I will have 7000 miles on them. They still stick like glue and I have been to Skyline drive rocking the twisties there, in a torrential downpour at speeds on the freeway and NEVER had the tire slip let alone wash out from under me.

I've had a bunch of different tires and NOTHING I have used is like this one.

In fact... I removed a Shinko from the rear and will not ever go back.

Alright Limited and Tango, that's the sort of info I'm looking for.
Can't tell you how bad it would suk to throw on both front and back to find out I can get 7k out of em, but they can't hold a turn.
Riding 100 miles a day, I need the few twisties I see along the way.

Thanks!

The AV45/46 should get you more like 10,000 miles with normal commuting or touring. I don't think I would try and push them as hard as a BT56 in the corners...they are a touring tire after all.

My next set is the AV59/60 Viper Sport combo. Just by looking at the profile they should be a lot better in the corners vs. the BT56 and I hear they tread life is very good. I already have the rear sitting in the garage and according to Avon's web site my free front tire was shipped out about 4 hours ago.

I wanted the AV45/46 but for a grand total of $181 including all shipping charges I couldn't pass on the Viper Sports. If you're thinking about ordering them, you better do it quick as the offer is only good for a few more days.

(Turbo-Torch @ Sep. 25 2006,15:41) The AV45/46 should get you more like 10,000 miles with normal commuting or touring. I don't think I would try and push them as hard as a BT56 in the corners...they are a touring tire after all.

My next set is the AV59/60 Viper Sport combo. Just by looking at the profile they should be a lot better in the corners vs. the BT56 and I hear they tread life is very good. I already have the rear sitting in the garage and according to Avon's web site my free front tire was shipped out about 4 hours ago.

I wanted the AV45/46 but for a grand total of $181 including all shipping charges I couldn't pass on the Viper Sports. If you're thinking about ordering them, you better do it quick as the offer is only good for a few more days.
what is your anticipated lifespan from the AV 60 Viper rear?

(busa_bill @ Sep. 25 2006,17:30)
(Turbo-Torch @ Sep. 25 2006,15:41) The AV45/46 should get you more like 10,000 miles with normal commuting or touring.  I don't think I would try and push them as hard as a BT56 in the corners...they are a touring tire after all.

My next set is the AV59/60 Viper Sport combo.  Just by looking at the profile they should be a lot better in the corners vs. the BT56 and I hear they tread life is very good.  I already have the rear sitting in the garage and according to Avon's web site my free front tire was shipped out about 4 hours ago.

I wanted the AV45/46 but for a grand total of $181 including all shipping charges I couldn't pass on the Viper Sports.  If you're thinking about ordering them, you better do it quick as the offer is only good for a few more days.
Can't say from personal experience as I have about 2000 miles left on the current BT56s so they won't go on till then.

I did some Googling before placing my order and the wear rate seemed to be pretty high compared to most other tire brands. No complaints on handling other than the suspension may need to be tweaked due to the tires stiffer sidewall. It's a newer model tire so there's not a ton of info out there yet.

I do a lot of super slab travelling so I managed about 6K miles out of my original BT56 and this one will probably do the same. If I can get 7K to 8K out of the Vipers I'll be really happy.

If you order make sure you don't buy the Super Sport as that's more of a track use tire.

(usn04limited @ Sep. 25 2006,20:37) FYI,
GPW runs the Avon 46/45 combo on his $23,000 canyon carving 2006 Busa.

Don
Good point! Never really heard a negative review of those things!

(busa_bill @ Sep. 25 2006,20:30)
(Turbo-Torch @ Sep. 25 2006,15:41) The AV45/46 should get you more like 10,000 miles with normal commuting or touring.  I don't think I would try and push them as hard as a BT56 in the corners...they are a touring tire after all.

My next set is the AV59/60 Viper Sport combo.  Just by looking at the profile they should be a lot better in the corners vs. the BT56 and I hear they tread life is very good.  I already have the rear sitting in the garage and according to Avon's web site my free front tire was shipped out about 4 hours ago.

I wanted the AV45/46 but for a grand total of $181 including all shipping charges I couldn't pass on the Viper Sports.  If you're thinking about ordering them, you better do it quick as the offer is only good for a few more days.
can't say for sure yet but at 2000 miles you can still see mold marks here and there. Here's pics of them the day I mounted them.

8_6_200618.jpg

8_6_200619.jpg

I'm running my second set of Avon 45/46s.  Got 8,000 miles out of the first set.  I'm not the fastest rider on the org, but this is my rear tire after running the dragon.  BTW, I had over 5,000 miles on it when I arrived at the Bash.

100_1611__Medium_.JPG

You're riding it just a tad beyond the tread, and near the same chicken strip I ride with.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks bro!

Back