Avon Azaro vs. Storm

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
Before many of my Busa brethren take call to arms and suggest a tire befitting the underside of my mighty GSXR, let me start by saying I have logged many miles on Avon's. Like any tire, it is purpose built. It just so happens, it fits my purpose. Thanks for listening, and you're welcome to continue.

With that said, I went through two sets of Azaro's without much incident. The tires were consistent and I always knew what to expect. I ride a ton of commuting miles (1-1.5k/mo) always on the same roads and the Azaro's were always the same.

I guess you can see where I'm going with this?
ohthedrama.gif

Sometime back, I go to replace my tired skins and was informed the Azaro had been replaced by a better model; the Storm. I eagerly accept the new offering and away I go.
Now some 4k into the Storms, I realize my confidence in the tire has begun to fade. It wasn't an overnight thing, but has progressively built to the point I now have to judge the road surface more and more to determine lean or acceleration. Remember, I'm still riding the same roads, and if anything - I've slowed down a bit. I don't have any issue at high speeds. They feel the same as before. It's cornering and hard acceleration where there is an obvious difference in straight line traction and the ability to hold the road in moderately aggressive turns.

Now to my question: have any of the Avon riders here experienced any of what I'm talking about? Have you seen even subtle differences between the two models?

whatsatre.png

Interesting
winkold.gif
, because I'am about ready for a new set ! And I was going with a new set of Avons since, like you
tounge.gif
, I loved my old set
ThumbsUp.gif

I just replace a set azzo with a set of Storm. We'll see but from what I heard from others the Storms rock

all the feed back I have on the storms is that they out do the old 45/46`s by leaps and bounds. Now take into account Ive only moved about 20 sets of these tires but everyone I have asked to give me a report about them has had nothing but good to say about them. The main thing I would look at would be if your set has been heat cycled. If they have cycled then they will be slick as piss. The way to tell is if there is any discoloration on the tires them self. Look for blueing on the outer eadges.

Ill call my avon rep and see if they have heard of anyone else having this problem and Ill try to let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Josh

I'll post my results when I get a chance to break them in,Josh and thank you for the great deal on the Storms.

I like the Storms, feels more sure-footed but they do wear faster.

This shot of the Storm thats on the bike now, center wear bar at about 3500 miles.

AVONS_012.jpg

Shot of the Azaro I saved, has over 9000 miles on it. Never had any problems with the Azaro, it's going back on when the Storm wears out.

AVONS_002.jpg

all the feed back I have on the storms is that they out do the old 45/46`s by leaps and bounds. Now take into account Ive only moved about 20 sets of these tires but everyone I have asked to give me a report about them has had nothing but good to say about them. The main thing I would look at would be if your set has been heat cycled. If they have cycled then they will be slick as piss. The way to tell is if there is any discoloration on the tires them self. Look for blueing on the outer eadges.

Ill call my avon rep and see if they have heard of anyone else having this problem and Ill try to let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Josh
Remembering back to my own words that I had slowed down a bit, I realize that I've ridden the center out much more than I had before. Not being a tire expert, it stands to reason that the contact patch is going to be reduced in turns. Maybe this explains part of it?

Will examine the edges as you suggested.

Thanks

This is interesting. This is the first moderately negative review I have read about the Storms. I had been contmeplating a change to them on my next set based on all the positve reviews I had read. If you want a change I would highly recommend the Metzeler Z6 as an alternative to the Azarro's. No 200 rear though.

It is getting colder out to so the temps are dropping...temps dropping will cause your tire temps to drop as well and if your riding on the center all the time the sides arent getting very warm possibly causing you to loose confidence in your tires... you could also argue that the road is getting older and losing its grip as well.... or it could be just as simple as the tire too! my
2cents.gif

I replaced the Bridgestones on my '06 for the Storms. I really liked them. Like you, I'm mostly touring--I put 6,500 miles on 'em in 5 months. Still have some tread left when I traded for my '08. I'd buy 'em again!

What about mixing? say a storm front with a Azaro back?

I bought a like new Azaro for the rear(good deal) but can't find a front anywhere in the Busa's size.. Can I run a Storm and what if any effects will there be?

This is interesting. This is the first moderately negative review I have read about the Storms. I had been contmeplating a change to them on my next set based on all the positve reviews I had read. If you want a change I would highly recommend the Metzeler Z6 as an alternative to the Azarro's. No 200 rear though.
+ 100!!!

I know ya'll getting tired of this pic but I liked the z6 so much I purchased a stack of 'em.

IMG_0279Medium.jpg

cheers
ken

What about mixing? say a storm front with a Azaro back?

I bought a like new Azaro for the rear(good deal) but can't find a front anywhere in the Busa's size.. Can I run a Storm and what if any effects will there be?
My last few sets of tires I've gone with a softer front than rear with no problems. I ran a pilot power front with the pilot road rear and a viper sport front with the storm rear.

I ran the Azaros and made the switch to the Storms. I don't notice anything that busa bill is talking about. I do keep the suspension tuned very well which makes a difference.

haven't run the storm...
I am now running an Azaro rear and Viper front..... excellent combo.

That is amazing to get 9000 miles out of a rear tire on a Hayabusa.
Hey this bring back some good memories. This was Bikeweek 2 years ago. Ironically enough my rear tire ran out of tread at 6K miles on this very weekend. That's my Copper there. Cool to see these bikes again. Met some great guys there.

So is the azaro dead or can you still get them for the busa? Mine are wore (Beyond worn out actually) and was thinking of the venoms or trying the pilot powers instead. However if the azaro's can still be bought i'd go with them again no question.

Back