Autolumination and poor service! Be Warned!

Tim

I have not been reading your saga, so I appreciate if you can answer a few things for me.

Which specific bulb are you having trouble with? Is it the 1157 20 led Tower II amber?

Does it light on both circuits outside of the application (bright and dim)? Have you tested it by removing it from the bike socket and testing independent of the application? That is very important in isolating the problem. If the bulb lights on both bright and dim circuits outside of the application, then the issue is with the set up of the circuit feeding it.

Testing by plugging in different bulb types into that same circuit does not prove anything is wrong with the "bad" bulb. Some leds work fine with led flashers, others require load equalizers.

I would appreciate your patience and a few answers.

Have you tested the bulb independent of the application. Use two wires run directly from the battery. Put the + on one of the two bottom contacts and the ground on the side of the base. Then move the + to the other bottom contact. Do both light? Is there a brightness varience between them.

The videos do not answer this key question. In order to help, I need to know the answer.

Thank you.

Tracy

And now I have another person involved who will not take the time to read the issues I have and says the video are worthless!:thumbsup:

From: "superlumination@cox.net" <superlumination@cox.net>Add sender to ContactsTo: "Tim Devlin" <birdofprey97@yahoo.com>I told you to just send back whatever you do not want.

It is not the bulbs, it is a circuit issue. If you do not want my help, fixing the circuit, sending out more bulbs is not going to resolve anything and us just a waste of my time and my money.

If you want to buy more bulbs, we can send you a truckload, but until you fix the circuit issue, you will not get the leds to work properly

You cannot test/fix the circuit for leds by testing it with glass bulbs.

You cannot test an led bulb by plugging it into an uncharacterized circuit.

If the circuit has power, the led will light. If the led is not lighting up, the circuit is not switching on or it is not connected to the power.

It is just a lightbulb...........it has no brains..... it just light up when the power is connected and goes dim when the power is off.

If you run two wires direct from the battery, to the bulbs, you will see this for yourself.

---- Tim Devlin <birdofprey97@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Call me: This is getting old, and have posted the answers to your questions many times in few emails already! It is worth the phone call. This has gotten out of hand!
>
> 757-773-7340
>
>
> I am having problems with 2 of 1157's matrix bulbs on my brake lamps for one bike. One flickers on to brighter back and forth. The other just gets slightly brighter. Both are not functioning properly!
>
> I am also having a problem with 1 of 4 1157 20 tower led on my marker lamp/ turn signal setup. I am using the proper flasher for the led system. I have done this modification before and had no issues, until I bought bulbs from you.
>
> In total 3 bulbs are bad. 2 1157 red/white matrix bulbs and 1 of 4 amber 1157 20 tower leds.
>
>
>
> I am tried of being insulted by Chris about my electrical experience. I am an automotive technician by trade, worked for toyota for 13 years and now in fleet maintenance for the U.S.Postal Service as a lead tech. I am a fully certified ASE MASTER TECH too. The videos does show that I have one bad bulb.... 1 of 4 (the 20 tower led 1157) If I adfd power to it seperatly with my 12volt a/c to d/c converter or as battery it does light up. But in the circuit it will not. If I move it around in the circuit... that side left or right were ever its at doesn't work. But if I install another 20 led 1157 I have from another bike...all is well! As posted in the video's!
>
> All 4 video's so you can watch in order!
> lamp problems- Video
> P1010009.MOV- Video
> P1010008.MOV- Video
> lamp issues- Video
>
>
>
> :thumbsup:

that's interesting because i recieved an almost identical email from tracy several months ago when i mentioned that one of my switcback tower running lights where flashing white not amber. i ended up buying another and took the hit. ???

I have the ep 35 flasher as per the omslaw mod in the electrical section! All is good when I use another led bulb. I do understand what they want me to tell them. I read the maiul a few times. They want me to test the bulb seperately, which I did. It works on dim and then on the brighter setting. All 4 do. But when I install this particular bulb, my flasher doesnt work. They think it is the flasher. But its funny that when I replace it with any other led 1157 or even another 1157 20 led tower....all is well. There is a problem with the bulb itself....either a diode or resister has gone bad....causing some type of feed back in my flasher system. Which is causing the turn signal indicator on the dash to dimmly light up.

I keep telling them I have 2 bikes and 2 problems and they are confusing the videos up with which bike is what. Cant tell the red bike from the blue bike I guess!:whistle:

Okay everyone:

Here is the deal! I got my new leds (amber 1157s) in today! I am very happy to say they work with my 12 volts ac to dc converter and they work on the bike like I expected. I retested the 1157 20 led switch back and now it only lights up on the brightest setting. The bulb is the problem!!!! Like I have been saying the whole time!!!!!!(CONFIRMED)

Then the other 2 1157 red/white bulbs I tested like they asked me too! Guess what, the one flickers from running lamp light to the brake lamp light up! Not surprised! The other just gets a little brighter.

Now that the second set are here I will return the bulbs to them (that are bad!) and hope for an exchange for ones that work. That is all I ever wanted! Point is this, treat your customers well and listen to them and work together for a positive solution! That is reason why I posted this. I was treated poorly and was told I was wrong, when in fact I did have a few bad parts!

Video to follow!

what ever happened to the customer is always right saying.....glad your getting it all worked out warbird:thumbsup:

Tim

Ok the answer to the first question is that you tested it using an ac/dc power supply. Without knowing the exact specs of the power supply, that really does not tell me the answer to what I need to know.

Have you tested directly to the battery of the motorcycle as I asked you to do?

That is what I need you to do and to answer.

Both Chris and I are honestly trying to help you. We only ask questions that allow us to do that. It does not help us though in wanting to help if you are trashing us up and down the internet. This is our business and our livelihood, and we take it pretty seriously.

Thank you.

Tracy

>
> Tracy:

Did you test the bulb independent of the application in
> which it is being used? Yes, or no (YES)<-----

I have 2 motorcycles. One is a red 02 gsxr 1000. That is the bike that got the red/white led 1157's for the running and brake lamp circuit.

That is the video where, when the brake switch is closed it causes on of the red/white 1157s to flicker. The other goes from dim to slightly brighter!

lamp problems- Video

I did test this bulb with my ac to dc power source and it flickers the same way. Bad bulb. The other bulb just goes from dim to slightly brighter like it does on the bike. All I did was add the bulbs into this system. Key on for running light power (which works) and brake switch close to turn on the brighter side of the led bulb. Nothing to it for this plug and play

My second bike, the blue 08 suzuki hayabusa. That is the bike that I added the 1157 sockets to make the running lamps work with the turn signals. Not hard at all to do. I tapped into the running lamp power source for the low light portion of the 1157 socket. And then added the t/s power to high light portion of the 1157 socket. I used the stock ground. I knew that the leds would not work with my standard stock relay. So I am running a EP 35 relay for led use. I did test all 4 bulbs with my ac to dc converter and they did work fine at first, but then things started not to work. I was testing the flasher system on the bike back and forth and that when it stopped working. I moved 1 bulb at a time and found the one that was causing the system not to work. I did re check it as you have been asking me and now it is bright all the time (no switch back), touching one positive terminal at a time or even jumping it together (no change). You new bulbs came into
> today and I tested the same way and happy to report they work fine like they should. I installed the one I needed on my bike, and guess what? It works great!!

P1010008.MOV- Video

P1010009.MOV- Video

P1010009.MOV- Video

>
> You did not answer the one question I asked of you.
>
> Did you test the bulb independent of the application in

> which it is being used? Yes, or no (YES)<-------

Tracy I hope you understand what I wrote above, and now that I have the videos in order. You can see what is wrong. I will post a video of me testing the bulbs too so you can see that they are indeed defective. Chris did ask me to return, and I plan on too. I just wanted to wait for the other bulbs to get here to make sure they were good too! Then I would only have to ship them once. I hope you understand now why I kept emailing you. I truely had a problem with the bulbs and just wanted them exchanged for ones that work. Times are tight and these bulbs arent cheap to just keep buying! But are better for long term use due to them not having a filament that can burn out!
>

Thanks

Tim

Tim

Ok the answer to the first question is that you tested it using an ac/dc power supply. Without knowing the exact specs of the power supply, that really does not tell me the answer to what I need to know.

Have you tested directly to the battery of the motorcycle as I asked you to do?

That is what I need you to do and to answer.

Both Chris and I are honestly trying to help you. We only ask questions that allow us to do that. It does not help us though in wanting to help if you are trashing us up and down the internet. This is our business and our livelihood, and we take it pretty seriously.

Thank you.

Tracy

>
> Tracy:

Did you test the bulb independent of the application in
> which it is being used? Yes, or no (YES)<-----

I have 2 motorcycles. One is a red 02 gsxr 1000. That is the bike that got the red/white led 1157's for the running and brake lamp circuit.

That is the video where, when the brake switch is closed it causes on of the red/white 1157s to flicker. The other goes from dim to slightly brighter!

lamp problems- Video

I did test this bulb with my ac to dc power source and it flickers the same way. Bad bulb. The other bulb just goes from dim to slightly brighter like it does on the bike. All I did was add the bulbs into this system. Key on for running light power (which works) and brake switch close to turn on the brighter side of the led bulb. Nothing to it for this plug and play

My second bike, the blue 08 suzuki hayabusa. That is the bike that I added the 1157 sockets to make the running lamps work with the turn signals. Not hard at all to do. I tapped into the running lamp power source for the low light portion of the 1157 socket. And then added the t/s power to high light portion of the 1157 socket. I used the stock ground. I knew that the leds would not work with my standard stock relay. So I am running a EP 35 relay for led use. I did test all 4 bulbs with my ac to dc converter and they did work fine at first, but then things started not to work. I was testing the flasher system on the bike back and forth and that when it stopped working. I moved 1 bulb at a time and found the one that was causing the system not to work. I did re check it as you have been asking me and now it is bright all the time (no switch back), touching one positive terminal at a time or even jumping it together (no change). You new bulbs came into
> today and I tested the same way and happy to report they work fine like they should. I installed the one I needed on my bike, and guess what? It works great!!

P1010008.MOV- Video

P1010009.MOV- Video

P1010009.MOV- Video

>
> You did not answer the one question I asked of you.
>
> Did you test the bulb independent of the application in

> which it is being used? Yes, or no (YES)<-------

Tracy I hope you understand what I wrote above, and now that I have the videos in order. You can see what is wrong. I will post a video of me testing the bulbs too so you can see that they are indeed defective. Chris did ask me to return, and I plan on too. I just wanted to wait for the other bulbs to get here to make sure they were good too! Then I would only have to ship them once. I hope you understand now why I kept emailing you. I truely had a problem with the bulbs and just wanted them exchanged for ones that work. Times are tight and these bulbs arent cheap to just keep buying! But are better for long term use due to them not having a filament that can burn out!
>

Thanks

Tim

If I am trashing them please someone let me know. I am only posting how they are treating me! If I am in the wrong I am sorry, but I found the problem and trying to do what they ask me!

But, did you make sure to stand on one leg and cross your fingers when you tested the bad bulb? Obviously you don't know what you are doing.

You are better than me. If they send you a defective product, I would expect to have them pay for shipping the defective item back? No, you are not trashing them, you just let other people know your experience with the company.

Thanks for posting this up, after reading about the mod on another thread, I was interested in doing this on my bike as well. I will make sure to avoid autolumination.

Like others I have recevied similar e-mails because of a bad bulb. Had to be the load equalizers that I didn't install. Got a new bulb and they work fine. Had some complications with shipping that could have been avoided and they were less helpful with that.

Thank you all:

I just want to have the bulbs replaced when I finally found the problem. I may not be the one who made the bulbs with light emitting diodes, and I not trying to be an A$$ to Autolumination.com Iemailed them 3 times. I was unhappy to be treated like a person with no idea what I am doing. My point to all of this was.... I had a part that didnt work correctly and wanted a replacement. Instead they took it as an attack on them. Not what I wanted!!! Seriously I use to work in the service industry for Toyota as a team leader, and there was a certian way you treat people.

A company here on the board I had a part problem with. The windscreen I ordered was defective. Had flaws in it! I emailed him to call me, and guess what he did. Things were handled well. I returned the part and was still very happy to do business with him. By the way, his name his Tim and he is a board sponsor! Excellent Customer service! Things were handled well and will do business with him again!

Others here have posted they have had problem with autoluminations bulbs too! There fix was to buy a new bulb and continue on. They even got the same emails I did too. Again, I just didnt like the service I recieved and figured it should be posted to warn everyone. They di come highly recommended by a member here at the board. But, after my experience I be more careful. I like the product that they provide and it was a shame that I got a few bad parts and the poor service that I recieved.

Thanks for your time everyone for reading my posts and putting up with this!

Tim Devlin

that's interesting because i recieved an almost identical email from tracy several months ago when i mentioned that one of my switcback tower running lights where flashing white not amber. i ended up buying another and took the hit.

So I am not the only one who have had bad bulbs?!

Like others I have recevied similar e-mails because of a bad bulb. Had to be the load equalizers that I didn't install. Got a new bulb and they work fine. Had some complications with shipping that could have been avoided and they were less helpful with that.

I have had one of the short towers fail. I just wrote it off, I didn't even bother.
I still have it sitting on the shelve. The amber LEDs don't flash at all. It's not my wiring because it was working before and after I replaced the lamp unit...

So 4 customers with bad bulbs if you include me.

Turn signal issues with LED bulbs
LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. Also, with stock flasher units, the turn signals may flash faster than normal (Hyper-Flash). These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.

We offer some LED Flashers in our Tail/Brake Turn Signal Bulb category but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.

This is to help others understand more about how the turn/signal marker lamp circuit I used.

Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.

I went with the Omslaw mod! EP35 flasher unit instead of the load equalizers. This relay is for LED use.

I received the same email from them about the load resistors or what not.. I also have the led flasher (Omslaw).. It's like there std answer to all.. I like there product and have lots of there led's.. the problem is they think everyone is stupid and that they are the only ones that know anything.. I had a problem with a bad head light Tracy saying it was my new car that was having issues.. (Yea right) Finally talked here into sending me a RMA and sent the bulbs back only to receive 2 new bulbs in the mail a few days later..

I will buy from then again as I like there products, but yes I agree there customer service needs to be improved..
Hey Tracy we are not all dummies.. :thumbsup:

Back