Autocom Users (question)

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
Which radio are you using for Bike to Bike? Autocom recommends the Kenwood.
It looks to me from reading the specs it only has 2 channels. I know many of you use the Chatterbox, I don't want to use that due to the space on my helmet is occupied by a Cardo Scala Rider.

I use a Motorola T8530R GMRS radio.

MC Mustang uses a Kenwood Freetalk

I use the Yaesu VX-2R for my bike to bike. My radio has the "free band" mod to allow it to work on virtually any freq from DC to 1 gig. It will listen to AM as well as both narrow and wide FM, but it only transmits on narrow FM. This makes it compatible with any of the FM business band, and FRS/GMRS radios that are so popular (that's what the chatterboxes use). It transmits plenty of power to talk for several miles on flat open terrain, and will talk over a mile on almost any terrain (depending on the freq range and antenna). It has a great receiver, and is about the size of a credit card with about an inch of thickness. This is actually a ham radio called a "handi talki"

I use a Motorola T8530R GMRS radio.

MC Mustang uses a Kenwood Freetalk

He is out of pocket to ask about the Kenwood, if I read it correctly, it has 2 channels, not enough for the money.
I would like to have the Kenwood, (if more channels are available)
there is a bluetooth dongle available and it would allow me to link the Cardo headset to it, then link to a Bluetooth PTT.

Last edited:
We are still using the Kenwood Freetalk XL walkie talkies. They are aging. I've had the same radio on the busa for the last 5 years. We just put it on Channel 1 and go. We might get cross traffic every once in awhile, the tour group is always out riding in the middle of nowhere so that never matters.

I think we get about a mile or so line of sight range. Once we are in the mountains and hills, range drops quickly. But these are military spec radios, ruggedize and have taken a beating through the years.

Haven't used PTT in years, the VOX on the Autocom works well..

At the motorcycle show last weekend, somone told me Autocom is having financial issues and changes are about. Can't confirm that though. Autocom is well-loved and respected in moto-community.

Have posted this pic before, but here's my setup. Active-Plus with the Kenwood XL Freetalk, Cycle Pump Air Compressor (red thing), EZ Air Gauge, and you can even see the spare peg I carry. A spare set of levers is also in there along with the tire repair kit. Spacious!

Img_9442_800.jpg

Img_9442_800.jpg

Last edited:
He is out of pocket to ask about the Kenwood, if I read it correctly, it has 2 channels, not enough for the money.
I would like to have the Kenwood, (if more channels are available)
there is a bluetooth dongle available and it would allow me to link the Cardo headset to it, then link to a Bluetooth PTT.

I'm sure it has more... hang on - I happen to have it sitting in my garage - let me hobble downstairs...

OK, Shawn's radio is the Kenwood Freetalk XLS (same one I'd like to have LOL)

It has all 15 GMRS channels...which channels 1-7 are shared with FRS.

OK, Shawn's radio is the Kenwood Freetalk XLS (same one I'd like to have LOL)

It has all 15 GMRS channels...which channels 1-7 are shared with FRS.

that sounds like the radio I need, too bad they don't make it any more :laugh:

The new one has 50% more power. may just do the deal and get the bluetooth with it

Neither. He used to have it back in the hump - where Tim and I keep ours. But he was having interference issues...and his PTT switch started giving out. So he manufactured a mount to attach it to his stem stand and make it easily removable. At the fall bash, he was having to actually use the PTT button on the radio as his handlebar PTT gave out...

Back