autocom unit

chinto

Registered
Hello folks. I'm new to the board and new to the world of Busa's. I have an Autocomm communication device that I would like to run off the Bike's power (it goes through the 9 volts way too quickly). I plan on putting the Autocomm under the seat permanently and would like it to draw power only when the bike is on. What is the best way to go about this.

Thanks

Send a PM to MC Mustang.

He has an Autocomm permanently installed on his Bike.
cool.gif

Tap in to the power wire for the rear tail light, only on with key!

Just like my friend 05BusaLE said.....tap into the hot wire (when your ignition is turned ON) for your hot wire and ground wire to the battery.... Backing up a little- I purchased the converter when I bought my system with Autocomm...I think it was about $30. It made it easy to provide constant power...it plugs into the 9V hookup inside the unit and has the hot and ground wire on the other end.... easy install and works like a charm!!! Installed my unit under the hump/rear seat.....absolutely love it...my wife and I can cruise about 80 mph and talk perfectly--- that's about as fast as she's comfortable with...I listen to the MP3 player when I'm by myself....love that Autocomm

Hope that helps...Chris

100_4438copy.jpg

thanks for the input guys. Imanaged to get the autocom unit instaleld. I had the converter with my kit (the one that plugs into the 9 volt plug). I tapped in to the tail light wire and ran the ground directly to the battery as cooper had advised. I ran the rider lead up under the seat as MC Mustang advised in his PM.

I soldered all connections and took the opportunity to clean up some of the crappy splicing that the previous owner had done when he installed the integrated tail light and soldered his connections as well.

I placed the autocom where the tool kit usually resides and used the strap to hold it in place. I then velcro'd the tool kit in place behind it.

next on the agenda is to find a good way to mount my Mp3 player to the bars and run the lead.

100_1354.jpg

100_1355.jpg

100_1338.jpg

Thanks MC.

As for the mount, is that a custom job or purchased? Does your MP3 player just mount with Velcro? Also I noticed all of the switches you have setup on your left handle bar. the one looks like the High / low autocom switch? Do you find it necessary? I have not mounted that as of yet but I may when i actualy take the tank off to run the lead for my MP3.

(chinto @ Jun. 20 2007,09:23) Thanks MC.

As for the mount, is that a custom job or purchased? Does your MP3 player just mount with Velcro? Also I noticed all of the switches you have setup on your left handle bar. the one looks like the High / low autocom switch? Do you find it necessary? I have not mounted that as of yet but I may when i actualy take the tank off to run the lead for my MP3.

The MP3 player is held with just velcro, I will post a pic below.

The switch on the left grip is the PTT switch that I use for Bike to bike.

If you aren't using it for Bike to bike, then I don't think you need it - but you did mention that you wife is starting to ride... does she have a unit as well?

This is an older pic of my cockpit, but you'll get the idea:

Last edited by a moderator:
i beleive the pro rider 7 does not support push to talk, So I will not be needing a switch for that.  It's just the vox option.  Although my wife is starting to ride she does not have an autocom as of yet, but I will be using it for bike to bike with a riding partner.  We bought the units as we are planning on a 10 day trip next month and wanted to have a good comm device.  Autocom had great reviews.

Thanks for the link to the mount.  It looks like it just slides into the steering stem.  Is that correct?  So you can just pull it back out (no tools)?  I'm now in the market for a Gps and may look at that mount as an option for MP3 and GPS.  

No problems with stuff fliying off using just velcro?

(chinto @ Jun. 20 2007,11:20) i beleive the pro rider 7 does not support push to talk, So I will not be needing a switch for that.  It's just the vox option.  Although my wife is starting to ride she does not have an autocom as of yet, but I will be using it for bike to bike with a riding partner.  We bought the units as we are planning on a 10 day trip next month and wanted to have a good comm device.  Autocom had great reviews.

Thanks for the link to the mount.  It looks like it just slides into the steering stem.  Is that correct?  So you can just pull it back out (no tools)?  I'm now in the market for a Gps and may look at that mount as an option for MP3 and GPS.  

No problems with stuff fliying off using just velcro?
No problems with the velcro - really no wind under the screen. You just don't want to mount anything with a hard drive...

No tools on the stand - yep, slides in and out... you just have to position the plates and then tighten them down with an allen head wrentch.

I hope that helps...

helps a ton. I'm gonna take a look tonight to see about making a mount. At this time it is just a small Mp3 player, so I may just velcro it right on the top triples, and worry about a mount down the road when i get my GPS.

samsung.jpg

MC is correct as always, no hard drives, music, video, etc. Can't stand the movement and vibration.

a friend of mine has an autocom that I will be hooking up later in the week. He uses an ipod with a hard drive. Whats' the situatin with those? Can he use it in his tank bag?

(chinto @ Jun. 20 2007,15:00) a friend of mine has an autocom that I will be hooking up later in the week.  He uses an ipod with a hard drive.  Whats' the situatin with those?  Can he use it in his tank bag?
The vibration of the bike makes the hard drives skip and reset - usually work for a few minutes... So, if he holds it in a jacket pocket of in the tank bag where it isn't sitting right on the tank, it will be fine.

Flash memory works best, because it isn't affected by the vibes.

for anyone that uses autocom for bike to bike:

Which 2 way radios are you using? pro's and con's please.

I tested out with some motorolas, but was not happy with the audible beep during transmissions. I'm considering new radios for the setup and am wondering what people are running?

I use a Kenwood freetalk XLS (around $140) one of the keys, I think is finding a transciever that has a two pin recepticle, so that it reads microphone and speaker separately, not on one three band pole.

(MC MUSTANG @ Jun. 21 2007,05:20)
I use a Kenwood freetalk XLS (around $140) one of the keys, I think is finding a transciever that has a two pin recepticle, so that it reads microphone and speaker separately, not on one three band pole.

The kenwoods are recomended by autocom if I am not mistaken. I will have to look into them. just means I'll need to get a new lead for it as well which is no biggie.

Do yo get a beep with the kenwoods after each transmission?

(chinto @ Jun. 21 2007,07:25) I use a Kenwood freetalk XLS (around $140) one of the keys, I think is finding a transciever that has a two pin recepticle, so that it reads microphone and speaker separately, not on one three band pole.

The kenwoods are recomended by autocom if I am not mistaken.  I will have to look into them.  just means I'll need to get a new lead for it as well which is no biggie.

Thinking about it, there is a short beep after each transmission... that way you know you are no longer transmitting... I don't remember what they are called, but there are trancievers that can send and recieve at thesame time, like a telephone... mine is not one of those... when one person is talking, if someone else keys up it steps on them... so the beep has a function in that sence.

(MC MUSTANG @ Jun. 21 2007,05:56)
(chinto @ Jun. 21 2007,07:25)
(MC MUSTANG @ Jun. 21 2007,05:20)

The kenwoods are recomended by autocom if I am not mistaken.  I will have to look into them.  just means I'll need to get a new lead for it as well which is no biggie.

Thinking about it, there is a short beep after each transmission... that way you know you are no longer transmitting... I don't remember what they are called, but there are trancievers that can send and recieve at thesame time, like a telephone... mine is not one of those... when one person is talking, if someone else keys up it steps on them... so the beep has a function in that sence.
agreed it can serve a purpose, the beep with the motorolas was really prominent. It was earpeircing after a while. We are also in the fine tuning stages of the vox feature so it was going off unnecessarily sometimes. (picking up wind noise). Over all are you happy with the kenwoods?

by the way I ran my lead and mounted the MP3 player (velcro'd to top triple), so thanks again for your help. Funny thing was it took me about 5 mins to figure out that there was no quick release for the seat, and anouther 5 mins to realize that the tank was on a pivot. At least that explains what the prop rod under my seat is for
laugh.gif

Back