Auto Mechanics, what the heck is going on here?

Sounds like there brake dust shield is rubbing on the rotor. And the swirls looks like the brake caliper is oscillating

Those marks on rotor could no have come from anything in pad as it turned. How can something that is rotating leave straight lines going in to out? There would be circular marks going around the rotor not in to out. Marks look like some sort of resurfacing machine did that?

SKnight is correct, that is a non directional finish that your seeing. Most new rotors have them. Most shops (including myself) put a non directional finish on rotors after turning them.

The squeal could be from what SKnight says or they may have put something together wrong or they may be from the type/brand of pads that are on it (the squeal could be caused by how much metallic content is blended into the pads. Different companies use different amounts in different pads. A more aggressive pad will have more in it.) Use of a ceramic pad will cut down the black brake dust that builds up on your wheels.
Yeah, it's common now. Machining rotors basically cut's a very fine spiral thread pattern into the face where the pads go. Modern pad compounds don't like that too much so the non directional finish became common practice. I used a ball hone in a drill, when the rotor is done but still spinning on the lathe you run the hone against the face of the rotor. That puts the swirls in there and knocks the edges of the spiral pattern down. Those look pretty consistent so I'd say they're part of the new rotor surface although I've done it to new rotors that didn't have it.

Something else I thought of, GM now has techs washing the rotors in soapy water to remove any metal powder. They found that the powder imbeds itself in the pads and can cause an awful squeal. Scuffing the pads and washing the rotors off will fix it if that's the issue.

It will be the dealer doing it.

These are really good quality low-dust pads that I have used before without issue, so I think it's got something to do with the install.

It MIGHT go away after a few weeks, but since the dealer did it I'm better to report it now rather than later.

I would take it back and make them check everything out and find out why it is making so much noise. Everyone has bad days, may be rushed or had their mind somewhere else and didnt get something put back on just right. Better to be safe then sorry.

Drive down the road at about 20MPH and apply the Emergency Brake ONLY !! The Rear pads are not touching the Rotors and causing the Squeal. Noise will decrease after a few short stops.

Robert

Drive down the road at about 20MPH and apply the Emergency Brake ONLY !! The Rear pads are not touching the Rotors and causing the Squeal. Noise will decrease after a few short stops.

Robert

Will give it a try, but I did that the other night trying to test whether it was the fronts or rears making the noise...sounded like the fronts to me..

Will give it a try, but I did that the other night trying to test whether it was the fronts or rears making the noise...sounded like the fronts to me..
With your phone it'll be easy to figure out. Decide where the mic is then go record it squealing. Do it first with the mic forward then again with the mic pointing backwards. It should be pretty obvious then.

The saga continues (and gets worse):

Last week I took it back to the dealer. They took the aftermarket pads off, cleaned off the anti-squeal I put on, replaced with theirs - still squealed. Put OEM pads on with their anti-squeal - didn't squeal. So now I've paid for 2 pad replacements. I'm paying some stupid tax.

Then it gets worse. They wanted me to come on Friday afternoon - then came the storms/tornados. I would have been caught out on the open road going over there (in their loaner that I didn't want damaged), so I put their car in my building and called and BEGGED them to put my car inside.

This morning I get a call...guess what...yep, hail damage :banghead::banghead::banghead:. Good news is that he say dent wizard will be able to remove no chipping, but of course the question becomes WHO pays for it (dealers insurance or mine). I suspect mine. And, because all the cars got damaged outside, I'm going to have to go get it and wait til the dent guys can get to it....I'd rather not see it to tell the truth...

None of this would have happened if I hadn't went for aftermarket pads, my car would have been safely stored inside and not damaged.

I know I'm whining, as plenty of people here have lost a LOT MORE, but I'm still sooooooooo frustrated. Look out Charlie I'm mad which means a new lap record this weekend at Barber...

wow you got some luck there, that sux, sorry about the hail damage:banghead:

I'm bringing a Dent "Doctor" sticker and slapping it on your Gixxer when you aren't looking.:poke:

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Used to always crack me up when someone came in to the garage I worked at with there own parts and asked if I could install them... SURE.... NO WARRANTY....

Thats like bringing a steak to Ruth Chris (High dollar steak house) and ask them if they can cook it for you.

Back