Aussie members...

How are all our Aussies holding up regarding the fires...are they affecting you?

It's a heck of a thing to watch on TV.
Man is it ever a tough watch , as are the fires ive seen that the US gets and some other countries.

The smoke from the fires have turned some our mountains a caramel colour

Aussie is a 3hr flight from NZ.

The fires are not physically affecting me , other than smoke . Every state affected will have smoke haze coverage at least , up to very dense levels . The fire front between Melbourne and Sydney is said to be 500km , and Tasmania to be on fire this early in season is crazy .
The pic I posted of beach in who rode today , that sky is usually deep clear blue , but is blue grey from smoke . But that is hardly noticeable , compared to other parts of my state , which is also suffering serious fires .

I have family friends down at Mallacoota that have lost everything, but they are safe. awaiting evac from an Navy personnel carrier. Mallacoota and indeed other parts of Victoria and NSW have been cut off from supplies and are getting food and medical supplies dropped in by Airforce choppers.

The biggest worry we have is that the fires in Victoria & New South Wales may join up and become a bushfire the size we have never seen before.
My state, Victoria has been declared a "State of Disaster" and NSW "State of Emergency", which basically means all and every local, state and national resources are made available, including our Defense Forces.

The fatality toll is of yet unknown, but will be substantial. (at least 20+ as of now)
House and farm infrastructure loss is in the hundreds.
Local reports are saying it will take 100+ years for the country to recover, (financially, and environmentally)

This is from Govt data working with satellite images, (2 Jan @ 19:30) to give an idea of the situation we are in. The circled red bit is my state, Victoria, and New South Wales..
Wish us luck for the next week....

-edit: The loss of native wildlife and animals in panic is so gut wrenching

Last edited:
I have family friends down at Mallacoota that have lost everything, but they are safe. awaiting evac from an Navy personnel carrier. Mallacoota and indeed other parts of Victoria and NSW have been cut off from supplies and are getting food and medical supplies dropped in by Airforce choppers.

The biggest worry we have is that the fires in Victoria & New South Wales may join up and become a bushfire the size we have never seen before.
My state, Victoria has been declared a "State of Disaster" and NSW "State of Emergency", which basically means all and every local, state and national resources are made available, including our Defense Forces.

The fatality toll is of yet unknown, but will be substantial. (at least 20+ as of now)
House and farm infrastructure loss is in the hundreds.
Local reports are saying it will take 100+ years for the country to recover, (financially, and environmentally)

This is from Govt data working with satellite images, (2 Jan @ 19:30) to give an idea of the situation we are in. The circled red bit is my state, Victoria, and New South Wales..
Wish us luck for the next week....

View attachment 1610540
I wish it all the best there, and the fires being under control soon.
Courage and strength, in your beautiful country.

The climate change bell ringers are all over this stating climate change is the cause...It will come out in the wash as to what started these fires...they are never spontaneous, I'd wager people (usually a careless camper) started them the same as the wild fires here in NA.

Once the fires get started, they are a challenge to get under control especially in a place like Australia where there's lots of untouched wilderness.

I really hope and pray it gets under control.

The climate change bell ringers are all over this stating climate change is the cause...It will come out in the wash as to what started these fires...they are never spontaneous, I'd wager people (usually a careless camper) started them the same as the wild fires here in NA.

Once the fires get started, they are a challenge to get under control especially in a place like Australia where there's lots of untouched wilderness.

I really hope and pray it gets under control.
The bush in Australia gets tinder dry as summer approaches, caused by soaring temperatures and also the type of vegetation that is common in the continent of Australia.
A lot of gum trees and eucalyptus also... very flammable.
There are a lot of lightning strikes that also cause the fires... so many are ‘spontaneous’ but some are deliberately lit also, then theres accidents caused by carelessness, basically its negligence.
I’ve lived in Western Australia for 3 years and it gets very very hot and dry.

The government has ordered the deployment of 3000+ army reservists to assist where they can. We've just had a arrival of US firefighting teams into remote wilderness towns and areas to help out.
HMAS Adelaide , our largest amphibious vessel has been in action with 400 crew, including medical teams and 300 tonnes of medical supplies deployed. The navy has been collecting people stranded on the beaches and transporting to Melbourne.
And defence force choppers are pulling people from isolated towns where they're strandard and the fires are approaching.

We've had records of bushfires in this country for as long as people have been here.
It's nothing new. It's the way it is. Blaming climate change is hard to believe when fires have been here for ever. Idiots...

The government banned cattle grazing in a lot of the area under fire, national parks and all that crap. So there's been no reduction in ground level fuel for years. Because wild animals would've never been there and eaten until we allowed them ... idiots..

Back