Aussie Mag Pies...yikes

I had a magpie swoop on me when I was about 17, I was on my TS185 Suzook and riding along a raised ‘stop bank’ at the local river. It was a narrow single lane path with pot holes and ruts, with a thick gravel surface and up on a raised bank that’s intended to stop river floods. . . I think you guys call them levy’s.
I saw a shadow to my side view swooping down on me and felt a knocking on my helmet.
I turned to see what was going on and saw the magpie aiming like a missile!
I went down a gear and took off to out run the bird but the track was rough and I knew if I went off the side it was a 20 ft drop down a steep bank so I used all my skills to stay on and got the hell outta Dodge. . . Man it was scary, I still remember it to this day!
They are amazing birds and have a unique call, a warble sound distinct and they certainly aren’t shy!

I rode into a flock of birds on my 82 CBX one day. Several hit my chest, one hit my glove and the rest bounced off my fairing, or so I thought. As I continued I noticed feathers kept arising from under my gauge panel so I stopped. As I looked under the front of the fairing I saw a bird lodged under the oil cooler. I removed it and gave it a good funeral. :)

That incident happened in my city down by the beach , not far from my joint . I feed magpies every day for 20 years + , I also grew up with them swooping . They do swoop , especially when you are a kid , and male most of all . They seem to be able to tell if you are a male , because girls in my area didn't generally get swooped . They don't like push bike riders or the post man , but my tame wild birds do not swoop anyone .

And for those that are wondering....

And yes, around here this time of the year, the pushbike guys all zip-tie their "stack hats"

Back